Pulk upgrade!

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Road King, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Road King

Road King Scout

Blog Posts:
    CAF374CA-7355-4BC4-8C09-A0EF7978B2E4.jpeg D8C0031D-82DF-4DFB-A75D-D57BBB5C2489.jpeg 2978BC4B-FA32-4CA0-9DAE-78016229C594.jpeg Made some modifications to my pulk. Added ski rails made of aluminum angle iron, to keep my sled from sliding side ways on side slopes. Works like a charm. The skis rails usually are more like tail fins but I thought longer ones below the point where the weight is heaviest would be better. I used a rubber gasket used on doors to cover the bolts on the inside. The harness is one inch tubular webbing twisted in a figure eight like a climbing chest harness. When hauling a heavy load I use a carabiner to keep tension on the front of the harness but most time I go without it. I prefer not attaching the sled to a hip belt because I live in steep terrain and it’s inconvenient to remove a belt when descending hills. I plan to purchase a longer sled and make the rails full length. Planning an overnight in the Adirondacks before end of winter. Hope you all enjoy this post.

2. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Please keep us updated on how it works out. Will they hold up to log crossings and such?

3. Road King

Road King Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've gone over logs and through creeks no issues. My harness definitely needs a carabiner to hold the harness snug to my chest. Otherwise the straps creep off my shoulders.

4. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done! The ski rails are a great addition. Can't wait to see it loaded and in use. Thanks for sharing.

Road King and camp casey like this.