Quality Affordable PushButton Reels. Update

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Paulyseggs, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Update. Ordered a Daiwa Silvercast 80A. Has 8lb test. So it seemed like a good fit. A bit heavier than the 202 but alot more metal. Fits nice on the DockDemon. Did some casting in the yard with a light foam bobber and it got some distance.

Definitely a better made reel. Very smooth drag and reeling. Has a reverse lever and can go right or left hand reeling. Side plate comes off for maintence. I think its going to work well.
    15659657956021918031871.jpg 20190816_102945_Film3.jpg

85% of the time I use spinning reels. Except my wife and girls LOVE pushbutton spincast reels. And I've been stealin their Dock Demon to take hiking. Its a nice lil rod!!

The orignal reel that came with the DockDemon crapped out quick. So I bought Zebco 202s. Cheap. Worked well for almost 2years and now the drag is stuck on every one!

Is there a quality pushbutton reel in existence that is also affordable? The 202s were 6bucks each so I know I get what I pay for. I'd like to keep it around 20 cause I need to buy 5.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Some vintage Zebco 33s.

3. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll go easy on spincast reels by stating they can rated on varying degrees of "headache". The only one that has lasted my kids is a small Zebco Pro Staff.

Paulyseggs and NevadaBlue like this.
  4. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had good luck with Shakespeare, I use underspins with the trigger but the mechanism is essentially the same.

Paulyseggs and NevadaBlue like this.
  5. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would check the local pawn shops and flea markets for vintage reels. I've seen then sell for ridiculously low prices.

66drifter, ExAF1N1 and Paulyseggs like this.
  6. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
  7. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    About 15-20 years ago, before the dock demon was available, Zebco made it with a stainless rod and a Zebco 33 reel.They were twice the price and marketed towards ice fisherman, I had one and used it like a dock demon through my teenage years.After years of use the stainless rods glue would dissolve and the rod would pull out of the handle, the plastic version is a better rod, the foam handle on the dock demon packs easier hiking as well, the stainless version had a big fat rubber handle.The Zebco 33 reels are worth trying, I liked it alot on the stainless combo.Zebco also makes a mini version of the 33 and a bigger version rated for saltwater, the big saltwater reel works really good on big catfish poles, they are fun reels to get into.

My current dock demon has a spinning reel.I also need some advice on spinning reels that fit it, I've been getting by with the stock plastic spinning reel.The drag on the spinning reel works, but it feels like it has bad brake pads, it just kind of locks up where you need it the most.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  8. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I am switching back to a spincast as well, back to my roots. I have several Pflueger President spinning reels and they're amazing, so I'm considering getting this reel:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WHQZ6...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And, there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zebco-Omega-...=B0049MMFOO&psc=1&refRID=A73T0SMVBG91D8YQK54R

And this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zebco-0014-3...=B01N5ISGFM&psc=1&refRID=PWV25K3NQG11B9NBXBV4

I love how you can now switch to left or right hand retrieve. After decades of using a spinning reel and retrieving with my left hand, I'm not sure if I could switch back to retrieving with my right, so it's great to have an option!

ExAF1N1, NevadaBlue and Paulyseggs like this.
  9. 1Jesster

1Jesster Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Zebco makes an all mettle 33 that has held up well for me about $30 a few years ago when I got mine. worth the money over the cheaper 33.

10. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    over the years the Zebco 33 has been as close to anvil quality as any of the above mentioned options

EVERYTHING w/ moving parts can screw up

i class fishing reels w/ sewing machines

get one w/ metal internal parts and keep it clean n properly lubed

ExAF1N1, Paulyseggs and woodsranger like this.
  11. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    There’s a few options at Walmart...all under 20 bucks. They’re usually an entry level reel so I haven’t seen a high end version. But hey, for 20 bucks I wouldn’t be too upset even if I had to replace it every 3-5 years.

ExAF1N1 and Paulyseggs like this.
  12. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are after something specific and used, or no longer made, let me know.
    I saw about 40 poles and reels in the local trading post when I was there Friday. And everything is typically dirt cheap there.
    I'd be happy to poke around for you and report back.

13. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back in the '60's and '70's spin cast reels were more popular and many of the "better" tackle companies were making them, not so much today, the best one I ever had was sold by Sears under the Ted Williams brand, it was a high quality reel that came in a leather zippered case, it sold for about $25.00 which was pretty good money at the time, but it was also covered by Sear's unconditional life time warrantee, so every two years I'd bring it back and get a new one, until they stopped selling them.
    I'm pretty sure that Phlueger or Shakespear was making the Ted Williams branded reels for Sear's Roebucks back then, and mine was very similar to Phlueger's President model, the only difference was in the crank handle, the sears had full handle while the President model has a half handle.

I have some inexpensive Reels ($25.00~$40.00) made by brand name companies that I've had for years that are still running great, and I have some expensive (for me) Bass casting reels that are serving me well also.
    But I do believe that you reach a point in "affordable" when the adage about "Buy cheap, Get cheap" kicks in and cheap become too expensive to buy. :58:

ExAF1N1, Paulyseggs and woodsranger like this.
  14. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple Abu reels from the seventies or eighties and the newer ones are maybe ten years old. All working just fine. Not getting used very often though.
    I have them in my float fishing rods.

Edit: after some Googlefu I can specify that I think I have two of Abu 506 mk1 in that bluish gray color and a two black 507 mk2

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    ExAF1N1, Paul Foreman and Paulyseggs like this.
  15. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just FYI, they make a spinning reel version of the Dock Demon.

ExAF1N1 and Paulyseggs like this.
  16. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Update in OP

ExAF1N1 likes this.
  17. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now to buy four more :D

Paulyseggs likes this.
  18. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    gotta test it out!!

But I may just keep this for me and buy cheaper 202s again for the kids. Its 4 to 1 ratio on price.
    Figure by the time it equals out they're old enough to buy their own!

PAcanis likes this.
  19. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    not adding to the thread, butt, i have an old push button my mother got with green stamps back in the early 60's, still never used.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  20. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I buy ancient Johnson Centuries and Citations at yard sales and flea markets, and swap parts around to make good reels. Usually run 6# line. No better reel to be had, IMO.

DSCN1124.png

Seacapt. and Paulyseggs like this.
  21. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    Yes, vintage 33s. A good cleaning almost always is sufficient for a good user. Use limp 8 pound and you are good to go ...

Usingmyrights and Paulyseggs like this.
  22. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Saw the update, I have one of those and it works good too.

Paulyseggs likes this.