Question for Archers.

Discussion in 'Archery' started by JAY, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am relative new to archery. I have a Samick Sage, 45 lb. bow.and I like it. I wanted to do a slight upgrade to it and ordered a flemish fast flight string. Since i don't have the equipment to install the noch or the silencer thingy's, I told 3 rivers what Bow and poundage I owned and asked them to put the stuff on the string. I called the company and asked them why when i lay the bow on the table and place the arrow in it, why is the arrow pointed downward of center. After explaining that it is normal to do it that way, I attempted to understand, and am more confused then I was before. It is winter yet and my targets are not yet set up so I have yet to try it out. Will I now have to aim way above the target in hopes to hit it. I am self taught and usually aim at about the 2 o-clock position to hit center of target. I judge by the postition of the tip of arrow, I don't know if I will be shooting into the air or hitting the ground below the target. I am not complaining or judging 3 rivers, I just don't understand. The bow came from Carbela's and came with the arrow showing straight out.

2. Cro

Cro American Grouch Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Nocking points are commonly above 90 on traditional bows. Of the bows I own it ranges from 1\4" to nearly 1 full inch above 90.

Do a google search for tuning traditional bows.

Here's one that will speak to your question to an extent.

The below link will take you to a very informative series on tuning your bow.

http://www.bestrecurvebowguide.com/tuning-your-recurve-bow-part-1/

Primordial, SmilinJoe and JAY like this.
  3. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    First off, trust 3 rivers archery. That's what they do, their experts. All bows except compounds with parallel limbs, usually gave a higher than 90 degree nock set. When you shoot a lot you will find a sweet spot on a traditional bow. The manufacture will give you a good starting point. When you have the correct arrows, do some bare shaft testing and you will get there quicker. When your arrow is shooting bullet holes, just enjoy the ride and practice,practice,practice. It's good medicine for the soul.

boisdarc and jasam like this.
  4. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses guys, I was in no way finding fault with 3 rivers, I know they are experts. I watched the video posted above and it kind of answered the question as to knoc height and what it does. since I am self taught, and not very good shot. and I use the point of arrow as a reference sight point on target, I decided to get a bow sight so as to avoid all my confusion. again, thank you. Just called 3 rivers and ordered the simplex Adjustable sight, that they recommended.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. Gman1051

Gman1051 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been into traditional archery for about 25 years. Was influenced by some really good archers.
    I shoot what is deemed "instinctively". You look at the Target and let fly.
    Kinda like not aiming a ball when you throw at a target.
    Same principle as "meat and metal" handgun shooting.
    Get a flash sight picture, and let go.

6. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you will try instinctive while your waiting on your sight.....you will surprise yourself on how quickly you become better. Start close, say 10 yards, work on form, then it's all about concentration . Same as shooting slingshots and there's plenty of guys who light matches. The simplicity of it is why so many enjoy it and switch over from compounds. Good luck.

Gman1051 likes this.
  7. huntinguy

huntinguy Scout

Blog Posts:
    G Fred asbell has good book on instinctive archery. That is how I got my start.

I find sights to hard and slow to use. But, that is just me.

boisdarc likes this.
  8. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I second huntingguy on G.Fred Asbell. You'll also find that some traditional recurves have greater than fistmele height from bow to string.

Plainsman likes this.
  9. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been reading this post with some questions. Your nocking point should be an 1/8th high from center not up to an inch. Sounds like you put your string on up side down. Something isn't right with that nocking point.

Been shooting a bow for over 60 years, grew up working in the family archery shop in the 50's and 60's called, Bear Archery, made 100's of strings over the years and have NEVER put a nocking point on a string without having it on the bow while doing it. Every bow is different.

3 Rivers would not have been my first choice to make a purchase. If you get a chance, get to a traditional archery shoot and get some hands on help from a dealer. If you can't get to a shoot try and find an archery club in your area to get some help.

10. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking the same. 3Rivers must have estimated the nock point. That’s not the best way clearly.

@JAY, look for tutorials on the Web about where to put the nock and how to use string to make a nock. I have only used string. I don’t use the metal that you have to clamp on the string.

11. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some folks if they are only using one nock point, nock their arrow underneath the single point.