Question for Savotta M, or L owners

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by JAY, Sep 2, 2019.

1. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm up in age with back issues. I now use the Osprey and it works well, Yet I want a tougher bag that has the add on ability The Osprey has a good hip belt that keeps a lot of weight of the pack on the hips. Does the Savotta sternum belt do the same thing, or is it more for stabilization, and not for weight transfer?

blind & lost likes this.
  2. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Timber Cruiser Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Out of those two, the Large is what you want. It compresses well, probably to the M size by the photos, and has a much more robust suspension system both in belt and shoulder straps.

The sternum strap is more for stabilizing and really for pulling the shoulder straps out of the crook of your shoulder to help with weight distribution and from cutting off blood flow.
    The Large may end up costing a bit more but you are getting a real rucking bag with full padded hipbelt and shoulder straps along with the ability to have all your stuff inside the bag vs. strapping to the outside, and can compress to a day pack when needed. YMMV but that is how I would look at it.

blind & lost likes this.
  3. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Timber Cruiser Supporter

Blog Posts:
  4. Manzi1

Manzi1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone actually have a large Jaakari? Does it reduce down enought for daily use? Your likes / dislikes?

blind & lost likes this.
  5. Marc-Alexander Nagel

Marc-Alexander Nagel Tracker

Blog Posts:

Not my Video, but I do agree with his sentiments.
    Highly comfy pack, the M ist more a Dayhike Pack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blind & lost and jayclimber like this.
  6. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a Jaakari M. They really aren't what I would call that supportive, for around the same price I would absolutely get a Hill People Gear

blind & lost likes this.
  7. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Jaakari M owner here. Bomb proof pack. Can do overnights because of good external attachment options for bed roll, etc. But the waist and sternum straps are more about stabilization than any actual weight transfer. It's really designed for hard use and maneuverability rather than comfort, as its military pedigree (light border patrol) would suggest.

If back pain is an issue and a true weight-transfer hip belt is a requirement, I would look elsewhere. At least when it comes to the Jakkaari M. The L might be different.

My other pack is the Karrimor Sabre 45 with both side pouches. Much more robust hip belt. That's a really good option I think.

8. Yngve

Yngve Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I just signed up just to post a couple of questions in this thread.

I'm looking for a hunting backpack (or maybe some kind of pouch harness system). This is meant to be a daypack. I won't be carrying any sleeping gear at all with this pack, but I often end up carrying a bunch of heavy gear. The two main requirements I have are a) small and unobtrusive b) the pack must transfer the weight to my hips rather than my shoulders, for comfort and better shooting. After a long day of stalking, my shoulders get sore, even if the pack is quite lightly packed.

My current pack, which is about the right size, holds around 1800 cubic inches and the Jääkäri L is 50-100% more than that. This means that the Jääkäri L fails criteria a.

You guys with experience of the Jääkäri M, do you think the hip belt won't be able to take the weight off my shoulder? What do you mean when you say it's more for stabilization?

9. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I started this thread I was seriously looking at the Savotta M, but my main concern was the weight transfer from back to hips. I couldn't really get much advise. I have owned a Osprey which has a good hip belt but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I finally bought a Mystery Ranch, Sawtooth, which is advertised as a hunting pack as the bag will detach from the pack board for packing their game out of the bush. I will never detach the bag but their bags are great for weight transfer to the hips, and the material is tougher then many bags, which does add to the weight of the bag somewhat. The only downside, if you could call it that, is that it is rather expensive, but then again,MR is guaranteed for life, or so they say. The Sawtooth is a 45L bag so if you are planning on a sleeping bag, shelter, Etc, you may want to go to a larger bag.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 11:03 AM
  10. Yngve

Yngve Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    45 L is too much for me, I need something in the 30 L range. Maybe less. I need a pack to carry water, food and gear (like ammo, optics, maybe a tripod), not low density, large but lightweight stuff like sleeping gear.

I found the Pop Up 18 and Pop Up 28 packs. Now this is really close to what I'm looking for, although the meat hauling function external frame really is unnecessary for me.

11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    You mentioned that you needed a good weight transfer from back to hip belt. I have back problems and have owned an Osprey. They make many sizes, and they, from my experience, have a great hip belt system. There are many here that like Osprey products, although if you carry lots of weight in bag you would need to check that out. I have nothing bad to say about Osprey, it just wasn't exactly what I wanted. They have a great warranty, and if you purchase it through REI, they give you a year to return it for full refund if you don't like it.

Yngve and blind & lost like this.
  12. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Think just keeping the pack in place versus actually transferring load to your hips, if that makes sense.

Yngve and blind & lost like this.
  13. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^ Yup, what he said, keeps it from swinging around

Yngve, blind & lost and PVF1 like this.
  14. Yngve

Yngve Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I feel like I'm still not 100% sure what I want. With infinite money I'd buy at least five different packs and start testing them out, but I also want a new shotgun and a suppressor...

The thing about Osprey and many other bags is that they don't have any MOLLE on the hip belt. I'd like to be able to try out different pouches on the hip belt, and a lot of brands that are more hunting or tactical oriented have that. The Savotta has a little MOLLE on the hip, so does most of the Mystery Ranch stuff.

I just want to carry my gear without getting sore shoulders or having my jacket pressed against my back, causing sweat and heat. A nice civilian looking version of an old school Alice harness could perhaps work, but I can't find many alternatives in that category.

All input is appreciated.

15. AzDak

AzDak Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I really really really like my M. It fits a specific niche really well. Is it the pack I'd take on a 5 day backpack hunt? Heck no. Would I want to haul out a moose quarter with it? Still no. But a quick overnight scouting trip up and over hills where I'm keeping weight low? It's bomb proof. It's comfy as long as it's not trying to be a heavy weight. It's an oversized day pack that shines with lighter loads. I wouldn't want to go over 30# with it, but with that weight, it was more than fine.

Yngve likes this.
  16. Yngve

Yngve Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    How do you feel about shooting while wearing the backpack? Do the shoulder straps get in the way?

Do you ever use the waist belt? How do you like it?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 3:40 AM