Question: Jig for Profiling

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Staleym, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Staleym

Staleym Methuselah's Cohort Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. I'm having terrible luck finding a suitable vise for profiling my double bit project. I've gat a smallish bench vise that won't do and two attempts at a large pipe vise from Harbor Freight were both POS that wouldn't work right after mounting and had to return the second one which was a replacement for the first that I had to return. A trip to Home Depot left me doubtful that my answer was there.

Has anyone any ideas about making an easy, cheap (fast and dirty?) jig for holding 3.5 lb big ass double bit head for profiling using batmanawc's technique with the pencils? I have a small counter top on a cabinet in the garage as my workspace.

2. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict

Blog Posts:
    ive not tryed it, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but i would try clamping the other bit to the corner of the workbench. F or C clamps would probably be ok for clearance. all depends if your workbench is corner clampable, witch is not always the case.

Staleym and wascloth like this.
  3. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have used a piece of oak flooring board through the eye with clamps on either side. It gets the clamps further from the head and out of the way of the files.

Have also used aluminum or mild steel flat stock for the same purpose.

It helps to have a stop block on the far edge (double bit) or poll (single) to limit forward motion.

Ptpalpha, Staleym and wascloth like this.
  4. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    0106191255~2.jpg

0106191304~2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I've got a few different things I do that work, but if the handles out of the eye it's hard to beat this. Simple, cheap and not much that holds better.

Staleym and ANFwoodsman like this.
  6. Staleym

Blog Posts:
  7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Scout

Blog Posts:
    what they said for sure! I have tried all manners of thing, including a vise with an old glove as a soft jaw...nearly cut my hand in two when I slipped filing downwards...be careful! I have used wood, or steel, or even a giant old worn out file...though that is a bit dicey considering how brittle they can be

Staleym likes this.
  8. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use a similar set up as @ANFwoodsman , except mine is built onto another piece of oak flooring, which is then bolted to a piece of 1-5/8 unistrut to allow it to be clamped in the vise.
    I'll snap a picture tonight.

Staleym likes this.
  9. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    The narrow piece of oak on top has the back edge radiused for the front of the eye (the jig is in the vise backwards, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet). That piece slides through the eye and gets tightened down.
    Truth be told I haven't used it in a while as I've come to greatly prefer hanging the head first, then profiling with the handle clamped in the vise.
    IMG_20190109_073122.jpg

10. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. Taking ideas from @ANFwoodsman's and @Ptpalpha's photos, I made a jig which I will use for polishing, probably nice satin finsh with high polish on bits. Haven't decided on profiling after hanging like ptpalpha, which makes a lot of sense to me, or profile on the jig. I put this together from on hand and found materials, so it cost me nothing but effort. Been so long I forgot I could slap together a jig with a screw gun and drywall screws. As you can see, I'm rusty, Here's some photos. I will hold the axe tight with the shim through the eye Gripper Clamps. Thanks to all for assisting me to sound like I know what I'm talking about!

jig1.jpg

Looks like I need to adjust the prop some.

jig2.jpg

jig4.jpg

jig4.jpg

jig4.jpg

jig4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Muleman77 and ANFwoodsman like this.
  11. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    There ya go!