1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Thinsulate.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by NVRDONE, Dec 23, 2016.

1. NVRDONE

NVRDONE Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not 100% sure where to put this, but, its related to hunting so I'm putting it here.

My 11 year old hunting boots are pretty much shot. They're still pretty water resistant but my feet get cold quick, they have 800 grams of Thinsulate. I'm trying to decide if I should get a pair in 1200 gram or stick with 800.

So my question is does anyone know if Thinsulate wears out over time? Or am I just getting older and need more insulation.

2. andyblack

andyblack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it ever decreases in R value but the liner itself could be so worn out and full of body oils and lint or whatever that the insulation may feel less effective. That's just a guess. I assume you're wearing good wool or synthetic socks and/or liner socks. Eleven years from one pair of boots is awesome by the way. I'm lucky if mine last two without hurting my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVRDONE likes this.
  3. andyblack

andyblack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Also I've found that any cracks or holes in the outsole will make boots useless for field wear because they don't put gore Tex or insulation on the bottom of your foot usually.

NVRDONE likes this.
  4. NVRDONE

NVRDONE Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

My sock choice depends on the weather I'll be hunting in. Like today it was 31 when I hit the field. I had on a pair of wool socks without any liners. After 3 hours or so it started to get cold. When it gets colder I have a thin pair of wool socks I put on under my thicker socks. As to the boots, they're probably the best pair I've owned. They're Irish Setters, and I'm planning on picking up another pair of them soon hoping the quality is the same.

5. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    usually i find waterproof properties wear off long before insulation
    what i sometimes do to try to bring life back to some boots is run a hairdrier in them,
    for me its seems to work,
    am guessing the heat can help restructure the insulation which can get compressed over time
    started doing that on ski boots even when they were dry,
    so do it to all my boots and seems to help,

Birdman, andyblack and NVRDONE like this.
  6. andyblack

andyblack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have put a Thinsulate jacket that had lost its loft into the dryer on low heat for 15 minutes and that did seem to help. Don't know if it would work with boots. Too bad you can't just replace the Thinsulate bootie.

7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I never found Thinsulate much use in any boot... had a couple pairs of Matterhorns issued in the Army... gave them both to my brother, as neither worked to keep my feet warm. All that works for me is either a plain rubber boot with a foam insole and thick wool socks (down to about freezing), or a rubber-lower/leather- or synthetic-upper with a 1/2" thick felt liner (snowmobile-type boot, or Sorels).

I just don't see how anything thin can insulate well. I'd go with the 1200s, if I had no other choice.