QUESTION: Who uses Belt Knife Danglers?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Sooner99, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Sooner99

Sooner99 Tracker

[​IMG]

On Friday, I made this knife belt dangler for my Joker Nomand using an old leather belt I had and some hardware from Hobby Lobby that cost less than $5. I'm curious who uses belt danglers? I wonder how common it is out there. I've not seen too many outdoors wearing them. I find it useful when squatting, bending, sitting as I know the knife will always be vertical. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Supporter Supporter

If they come on my knife sheaths yes I use them. But, I almost always add them to my machete sheaths. Condor makes decent machetes but for some odd reason they design the sheaths so the handle stabs you in the stomach as you walk. Lol.

3. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

I use them. I'm in and out of my RZR utv and find them extremely helpful in keeping me from a proctological issue when I sit down.

4. Sooner99

Sooner99 Tracker

Thanks for the reply. A lot of knives being sold are full tang with the pommel of a lot of tangs protruding, which can get uncomfortable!

5. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Supporter Supporter

I have one. It came on my Harald Selvald knife. Great little knife, in the Norwegian style. It's like a Deer zipper opener. The knife has become my neck knife. Comfortable carrying.

b/r

RB

Beach Hiker, M.Hatfield, DomC and 4 others like this.
  6. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

I don't like them. I prefer things to ride a bit more tight. I don't like having a dangled sheath slap into the side of my leg as I hike.

7. Sooner99

Sooner99 Tracker

Post a photo! It be great to see.

Beach Hiker, M.Hatfield, DomC and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

I use them. Especially with a pack on. Easy access.

9. JAY

JAY Guide

Although I would prefer not to have them, they are essential to have when knife is on belt, as it keeps knife below back pack hip belt

Beach Hiker, Sooner99, DomC and 4 others like this.
  10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Supporter Supporter

There's a crummy image on a different thread about Neck Knives. If, I can find it I'll repost, or maybe I'll take a better shot?

b/r

RB

11. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

12. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

I agree we need some photos of them...

13. psybull

psybull Supporter Supporter

Random pictures of danglers I use.
    For me it's about comfort as my dunlap tire get in the way of carrying a knife higher on my waist.
    For longer blades I use a tie down around my leg to keep the swing to a minimum.

Attached Files:

14. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

I do. Especially when carrying back packs.

15. kamagong

kamagong Scout

I like them with lightweight knives like puukkos.

16. KFF

KFF Lady of the mosquitoes Supporter

Most of my puukkos come with one, except the 3€ moras and yes, I use them as they are.

Beach Hiker, ExAF1N1, DomC and 3 others like this.
  17. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

It really depends on the knife for me, on some I do and others I don't. Some I just stick in my back pocket. It needs to be comfortable however you carry it. joe

18. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

I always use them and if the knife does not come with one I either get it from the maker or Badger Claw Leatherworks. It helps give me freedom of movement.

Beach Hiker, beacon, ExAF1N1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

AA61F19B-0E5E-4132-8BC4-7903D8946B7F.jpeg I like them and use them. My favorite universal one that goes from sheath to sheath when needed is from Badger Claw.

20. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

I love them, especially when carrying a pack with a hip belt.
    I included one on the last sheath I made.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  21. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Click on the arrow by my name and it will take you to the post

22. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

It's kinda a love / hate thing... overall I like the dangler at camp but drawing the knife out of the sheath often requires two hands. Getting to camp it drives me nuts flopping around! :34: The Casstrom has a nice alternative dangler that I like a lot.

Small_0784.jpg IMG_9055.jpg

KNIFE & COFFEE.jpg IMG_6343.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  23. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Sheath KIMG0370.JPG with dangler from our own wvtracker14. Note. Handle is ivory not white nor do I claim to be a bushcraft expert.

24. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

People who like their knife to dangle?

25. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

I use them anytime I’m wearing a pack with a belt. I use them when I’m not wearing a pack with a belt. I put them on anything bigger than a neck knife. Big fan.

26. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

It's my favorite way to wear a belt knife.
    Dominick...........

27. Invictvs138

Invictvs138 Tracker

I feel the same way. I think it’s really a personal preference. - I like pistol, knife, spare mags or speed loaders all to be tight & not floppy, as when I am hiking I am generally going hard to cover distance. I wear a haversack when hiking which does not interfere with my belt gear. When I am hunting, I carry all that gear in a roomy orange vest with ample pockets. If I was back packing multi days (where I need a legit hip belt & weight is a premium)I usually only being a pocket .380 and a folding knife or maybe a mora.

Beach Hiker, M.Hatfield and buckfynn like this.
  28. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Great minds think alike! I made a couple similar, and move them among my different knives. Also made an adapter for kydex sheaths with the snap scout straps, all interchangeable as long as the kydex uses 3/4" on center grommets. Order all mine like that so I can use the dangler adapter or go scout carry.

29. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

30. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter

You guys must have gigantic butts to be able to sit down and the knife still be verticle, lol. I like a dangler for when it is super cold while wearing thick layers, or while wearing a backpack. They also look good in photos.

Otherwise I dislike them. The sheath is loud as it knocks into things, so not good for still hunting (stalking). When I sit down in a vehicle it becomes wedged in a wierd angle requiring me to fish it out. The knife handle gets hung up on briars and vines whenever I'm trying to crawl through underbrush. If I have a rifle slung over my shoulder it scratches the stock, and bumps into it constantly. Or worse, my optic gets dinged up.

Wearing a sheath high on the hip keeps the handle tucked under my shirt. When I sit down the knife doesn't move, and I can drive a vehicle or mow the lawn without fiddling with it. By putting my jacket over it , my rifle doesn't get dinged up. I find while bending, squaring, working the knife is more secure when up high on my hip. Much better then flailing about at the end of a dangler.

Just observations from an active 5'8" guy that's 175lbs. I'm sure if I was 6'5" and 225 that I would love a dangler, but that's not the case. I am lacking realeastate in the waist department.

31. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

I just use an s shaped carabiner this Clips onto a normal sheath when I feel like dangling. I usually just clipp the carabiner to my belt loop.

32. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

I love them. I wish I discovered them earlier. I like the lower positioning of the blade and the maneuverability they provide. I like them with both standard and large knives, though I do usually like a leg loop for the larger knives.

Some of mine are dedicated danglers. Others, the dangler is removable via flathead screwdriver; it adds some flexibility to move things around without compromising any functionality but it's also not an on-the-fly change.

Then I also have a carabiner-based dangler adapter like a few have shown already. Really, I consider that more of an adapter, you can convert any sheath with a belt loop less than 1 1/2" wide into a dangler without buying a whole new sheath, you can quickly unclip your knife if entering somewhere it isn't appreciated (like picking up a kid from daycare), and you can swap to another knife/sheath on the fly. I prefer a dedicated design but this 'biner adapter method has made a whole bunch of stock sheaths a lot more useful to me.

Then I also prefer snap loops as a belt loop over the sewn-shut ones. They're easier to put on / take off your belt without having to rethread everything. Some may find snaps less secure and I agree it's a risk but there's ways to mitigate that. One, a dual snap design so you're not limited to a single point of failure. Two, I tend to flip the snaps so they've between the belt and my torso, holding them shut and preventing any accidental opening. It's never created a comfort issue.

33. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

34. Geneh

Geneh Supporter Supporter

I just run a cord through the sheath loop and larkshead over my belt, using a cordlock to snug it up.

JasonJ, ExAF1N1, Beach Hiker and 2 others like this.
  35. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

36. OrienM

OrienM Guide

My favorite belt knife/small machete has its own paracord belt; it rides a lot like a dangler, low enough to stay out of the way of a backpack hip belt, and pivots out of the way when I sit down.

37. 8thsinner

8thsinner Guide Bushclass I

They sure do come with some pretty shiny metal pointy things on occasion but I don't like the idea of that shiny pointy thing swinging around if I happen to fall and roll around any, Seems like it might just prove troublesome.
    As for sitting, if my log is fitted to me, no belt hanging hip sheath is ever going to be troublesome.

38. Idabow

Idabow Scout

Not a fan. I have a Jak 110 that came with a dangler sheath. The sheath is well made and looks nice. Wearing it is another matter. Every time I sit down, I sit on it. Gets in the way of the seat belt latch too.

I’d rather have a drop thigh rig than a dangler any day. Used that with k bar and never had problem squeezing in and out of a Ford ranger patrol truck in the USAF. I want gear tight and quiet.

39. BlueDogScout

What’s your drop leg look like?

40. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    Depends on the sheath and knife of course, but I made one within a few hours of getting my (as yet favourite knife!) the BK-62. The knife sits low enough on my hip (and I've lost most of my 'dunlap') that it isn't uncomfortable on my belt directly, but when sitting down it IS uncomfortable.
    A bit of scrap from a belt I cut down to size -which matches the stock sheath very well actually-, two Chicago screws and a lockable ring that has been sitting in a junk drawer for a long time waiting for a project.

[​IMG]

41. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Yes, I do like using a dangler... way easier than threading a sheath on/off a belt all the time. But you're not likely to see mine in use, because I normally keep my knife in my pack in transit. I just have a thing about stuff hanging out all over the place, either off my pack or clothing (people seem to think it's cool to clip carabiners to stuff and let it hang... kinda amateurish to me. too easy to lose.)

42. BlueDogScout

I agree but ever since I was a scout I have to have the Sierra cup clipped in lol

ExAF1N1, Beach Hiker, Seeker and 2 others like this.
  43. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

I'm the same way. Also during cold months the knife can hang down below my thick/warm layers.

44. Idabow

Idabow Scout

Mine was a Bianchi rig. It was a piece of webbing that went with the their Beretta 92 flap holsters. Too floppy with the Beretta, but perfect for a sheath knife like the k bar

ExAF1N1, Beach Hiker and buckfynn like this.
  45. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

I like a dangler on a sheath as long as it is designed to be worn with or with out using the dangler.

I prefer the type of sheaths below where the dangler can be slide down and the sheath can be worn high on the belt or by using the dangler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't care for a sheath like the ones that come with the Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110 and 140 that only can be worn as a dangler.

[​IMG]

I make my own belt loop and use either a S biner or locking carabiner to attach almost any regular sheath and be used as a dangler.

[​IMG]

The worlds cheapest dangler, a piece of paracord attached to a Mora Companion HD sheath and a carabiner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    JasonJ, YukonMusher, ExAF1N1 and 2 others like this.
  46. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

In addition to the comfort of a dangler sheath, it also allows you to add a belt knife to a belt that already has a lot of gear while still allowing easy access to the knife. Before I tried it, I thought I would need two hands to draw or return the knife to the sheath, but when you pull upward, the knife comes free and re-sheathing is no more challenging than any other unless you're moving around.

ExAF1N1 and Beach Hiker like this.
  47. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Here's my danglers. I'm a lefty, so when I have the choice I tend to get them left-handed, like the four on the right. But when I have a big chopper like the two on the left, I tend to wear those as secondary carry on my weak side so being righty like those are is fine with me. Then the black one in center is a custom ambi; that particular knife is of a size that I may carry it standalone on the left or as secondary on the right, the knife fits either way.

But I'm not limited to these sheaths for danglers. The one with the ostrich leg inlay actually is not a dangler, it came as a regular sheath. I have it on a standalone dangler attachment that I'll move around to different sheaths as I feel like it; it just happens to be on that one right now. And then that carabiner dangler attachment is super useful, being wide enough to fit the belt loop of a majority (but not all) of my sheaths as well as being able to pop them on and off immediately and with no tools.

So, I do a lot more dangling than just what's shown here...

20191017_114917.jpg

JasonJ, ExAF1N1, Beach Hiker and 3 others like this.
  48. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

I like the ones you can fold down and still use the hip loop for a tight carry. I do use the dangler loop while rucking. It keeps my knife below the hip belt.

ExAF1N1, Beach Hiker and buckfynn like this.
  49. Ratman

Ratman Supporter Supporter

I prefer a dangler. Most of mine are standard JRE dangler sheaths and yes, it usually takes 2 hands most of the time to put it back in but I just like it. So much so that I had a custom sheath made from a talented sheath maker here on the forums and paid extra to make it a dangler.

50. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

To me, they just don’t work with the aesthetic of classic hunting knives like Bucks and Marbles, but other than that I am a big fan.
    • Really good with a pack and hip belt
    • Really good with a winter coat
    • More comfortable when sitting in my armchair at home

kronin323 and buckfynn like this.