Questions from a knife noob

Discussion in 'JB Knife & Tool' started by TxPenhall, Aug 12, 2015.

1. TxPenhall

TxPenhall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi, guys. I'm in the market for one of your custom knives, but I have some questions, that may be obvious to more experienced knife users. Hopefully this is the right place for this sort of thing, if not, feel free to have the post moved. Here goes:

1) For the handle options, are their any benefits with going with one material over another, or is it simply personal preference, and is there somewhere I can go to see samples of each style?
    2) For the hardware options, same question as above.
    3) For the grind, what are the differences? I'm assuming that each is better suited for a certain task. If that's the case, which tasks go with which grinds?
    4) What is the purpose of handle liners and what are they made of? Is this purely cosmetic or do they server another function?

Thanks in advance.

2. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't mean to come off abrasive but you really need to do some searches. Each of those questions have been covered ad nauseum and frankly deserve their own separate threads to answer each.

Edit: My phone just went crazy on me. If you were intending those questions for Brian specifically you would probably be better off sending him a pm with your specific needs so he can make recommendations.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With regards to the handle and hardware questions, it mostly comes down to cosmetics and personal taste. I'm partial to stag and wood handles with fabric micarta a close third.

As to the grind question, some prefer one over the others. The scandi grind is popular, but personally, as long as the blade is sharp it doesn't matter much to me. I have knives with all different grinds and they all seem to work well for me. So again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I once went in to a store to buy a knife. I had a 10" piece of green applewood. When I asked the counter dude if I could try one of the knives on the wood, he freaked out! I just told him that if the knife wasn't up to the task, I wasn't about to spend money on the blade.

Some stores will let you try the knife you select before buying, but it's not that common.

As for customs, you just have to find a maker that makes a blade you like or will make one to your specs. Check out their product on blade forums or any other like website to see what owners say about them. Take everything with a grain of salt. If someone spends a lot of money on a particular knife and it doesn't meet their expectations, they will talk it up to cover their embarrassment. For that reason, I look for reviews on YouTube that show the knife being used.

JBK&T makes some great knives. I doubt you could go wrong with their product. Just make sure the style you pick is what you really want or need. Few makers enjoy customers who ask for a return, but most will do so without a problem. Many makers on this forum will offer the returns for sale and they get gobbled up quickly. It doesn't happen often, which is a testament to their product.

Choose wisely!

Steve

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. TxPenhall

TxPenhall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the replies, and no, you didn't come off as abrasive (that much :p). This would probably have been better as a PM for the guys. I'm sure there's lots of stuff out there for me to research, but the 60 hour weeks I'm pulling right now don't leave me a lot of time for it. Not an excuse, just an explanation. Thanks again.

5. brian7498

brian7498 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey TxPenhall, let me try to answer these with out being to long winded :38: :)

1) For the handle options, are their any benefits with going with one material over another, or is it simply personal preference, and is there somewhere I can go to see samples of each style?
    All depends, mostly its just personal preference, but some handle materials work better for certain environments. like micarta is more resistant to impact loads compared to natural materials, like bone or wood, and G10 is more resistant to chemicals and absorption ect..
    2) For the hardware options, same question as above.
    again can be personal preference, mosaics, tubes, pins or bolts all serve the same function of keeping your handles on your knife. Most knife makers epoxy their handles on as well, for me that is less to do with keeping the handles on and more to do with keeping moisture from getting between the handle material and the tang.
    3) For the grind, what are the differences? I'm assuming that each is better suited for a certain task. If that's the case, which tasks go with which grinds?
    ...im starting to sound like a broken record :) but most of the time this is a personal preference thing as well. Each grind will cut and chop through different materials differently. Grind that is fairly good at everything is not going to be outstanding at anything ...for example, if your blade is just for slicing, a nice Thin hollow grind will out perform a convex grind. Thats not to say that a nice convex grind is not going to slice will, there is just going to be less friction with a thinner blade. opposite is true for a knife you want to beat the crap out of. A 5/32 convex ground blade will take a better beating than a 1/8" or less super fine hollow grind. Not saying you cant go out and baton with your Buck 110 (i've seen it :) ) but the likely hood of you chipping or cracking your blade is higher. Most of us try to find a grind that is a nice middle of the road, i prefer a shallow hollow grind with a convex edge, just what im comfortable with...this topic can go on and on my suggestion is to play with different blades that have different grinds and find one that fits how you use a knife.
    4) What is the purpose of handle liners and what are they made of? Is this purely cosmetic or do they server another function?
    Liners are purely cosmetic and can be anything really. for example we have used burlap micarta, G10, Carbon fiber, wood, and rubber :)

Hope this helps, if you need anything else, please feel free to ask!

6. TxPenhall

TxPenhall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brian,
    Thanks for the reply and info. I'm going to do some more research on the options available and will contact you guys soon for a couple of knives.

7. brian7498

brian7498 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good buddy, talk to you then :)