Quick yucca fiber cordage ...

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Guy-Fawkes, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Guy-Fawkes

Guy-Fawkes Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello gentlemen,

I thought I'd post a few quick photos of cordage made from two yucca leaves; stripped of the outer layer with the square back of a fix blade knife. The sections were quickly tied together with reef knots and then I tied both ends to a milk crate to test the cord strength. I stared with one stone from the yard: roughly 15lbs.

[​IMG]

I was using a travel luggage scale to measure the weight. Obviously not the most precise scale I know of, but one that gives a decent measurement for the purpose of this experiment.

[​IMG]

I then really piled on stone and brick to test the cord strength. This time reaching nearly 53lbs of weight being suspended by the quickly made yucca cordage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I continued to add more stone and brick till the scale hit just a hair under 70lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I added yet another stone (perhaps in the 5lbs to 8lbs range) the yucca cord snapped at one of the reef knot "joints". Considering I spent less than 5 minutes preparing an 8 foot length of cord without any twisting or work other than the knots adding length I was rather impressed with the end result. Yucca has been used in the South West as cord and fiber to weave countless pieces of equipment and clothing, such as sandals. I have no doubt that this sort of cordage would serve well for emergency shelter building or other times when one has found themselves without rope or commercially available cord for work.

I hope this was of interest! Kind regards, G.F.

Tech, gila_dog, Zornt and 8 others like this.
  2. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Chaotic Neutral. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One for expedience!
    I have seen some really interesting sandals made with yucca leaf, rather than twisted yucca fiber. I'd be interested to make a pair at some point.

DBX likes this.
  3. BushSmith

BushSmith Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice job!!!

4. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very impressive. And your method of testing the strength of the cordage leaves no doubt of its strength. One thing you left out was the width of the cord you were testing. It looks like about 3/8 to 1/2".

5. Tech

Tech Solo Craft Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good work. I have some yucca on my land and play with it from time to time. One of the best natural cordage the desert has to offer.

RockyMnts likes this.