Quiet overnighter morphs into car camping in the state park

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by brionic, Jan 11, 2019.

1. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of you may remember Dexter, our young friend who has taken an interest in bushcraft and is a Most Favored Individual because of his friendship with and support of our boy Dashiell. He's picked up quite a bit of knowledge in the last year, we pitched tarps, made splitwood fires, camped, and most important, told whoppers.

We'd planned on keeping it going, but then 2018 took a series of massive dumps all over me, so the outdoors in general and bushcraft in specific moved to the back burner.

Anyway, Dexter is now eleven and suggested that we shoot rally at his family's "honey pot", so we started gearing up for an early January overnighter. His dad/my friend and my no.2 son would come along, and it would be a cold camping extravaganza for the boys.

However, an hour before setting out on Saturday, Dexter broke the news that his family's honey pot was also someone else's honey pot, and it was going to be hunted that weekend. Damn. But Dexter was undeterred. He made some calls and got a recommendation for a state park on bluffs above the Mississippi, and realizing it was a whole different type of trip, invited a bunch more people along.

So we car camped. Had the entire campground to ourselves. No.2 is old enough now to be a real help in pitching and striking, which was critical because by the time we got to camp we had only an hour or ninety minutes of daylight left. No prob, mostly. Lots of mud, no snow, super weirdly warm for "dead" of winter. 40s, sunny, and still... so no need for the wood stove. Instead we doubled up on ground pads, and both used inner and outer sleeping bags. I brought along wool blankets but we ended up not needing them.

Our duffels stayed in the van, we got into them as we needed to add layers. I gave him a checklist for his own gear, and fortunately, he'd brought most of it (forgot his jeans but brought the bigs; forgot his coat but brought the sweater).

Being a car camp, I'd brought oak logs from home to supplement the boards that my pal, a contractor, brought for the pit fire. Very nice. Six kids worked on breaking standing dead wood into manageable kindling and sticks. The folding saw was a big hit. When they started splitting the boards, I had to step in and give a safety briefing. The baton concept blew their minds, which was amusing. They kept us in enough wood to burn the fire until midnight, and banking the coals, it started right up again the next morning. However, the remaining wood was questionable and burned cold and smoky, which sucked.

Food wise, brats, potatoes, roasted onion, and naan bread were dinner. Four boys and two girls ate the hell out of the brats. I brought the camp oven and charcoal and made a 2x2 apple cobbler. It was a partial failure because the ground was so sloppy that the coals under the oven needed a lot of maintenance. I probably should have set up a wind screen. Also, I've learned my lesson and picked up a charcoal basket and lid lifter. Such a no brainer that it only took me a few years to catch on after the tip from rphumble. Thx Dick!

Breakfast the next morning was a bit tricky. I'd brought a big stainless griddle, which rocked, but the grill on which I rested it wasn't anywhere close to level. So we had to build a bacon dam to keep the eggs, and then the pancakes, in place. It worked.

Coffee was critical. Finished the last of my main stash of instant Starbuck packets (.25 per three pack from the Amish scratch and dent shop). Friends brought some delightful twenty year whisky, which was delightful on its own and marvelous in the toddy that I made (brew good tea with 3x whole cloves, 1x allspice, 1" cinnamon stick, grated nutmeg, honey and lemon juice to taste). Then, the mediocre cognac I brought wasn't lifting my spirits until I tried a splash of it in the hot chocolate. Holy smokes.... really good. Hot Cognolate. Or Cognate. Whatever. Recommended.

Incredible star show that night. Clear, dark skies, and remnants of the meteor shower. When the kids and my buddy's wife began turning in, our voices lowered and the conversation mellowed, in a way that I remember my old man speaking at car camp/Indian Guides camp/ etc etc and kids were tired/retired/"asleep" but still within earshot.

Of course, it wouldn't be a trip to the state park, deserted or otherwise, without repulsive pit latrines about which I won't comment. And naturally we had one visitor for the better part of 45 minutes, rolling up and down the access road in his pickup, "that guy", obviously a ne'er-do-well of some sort, who kept me at attention. Eventually, he found a turn off and on cue, his buddy zipped up in a little street rod for a dark o'clock rendezvous of some sort. They took off after their business was completed. My buddy's wife asked us if we were carrying knives. I laughed and didn't tell her what I WAS carrying, nor what was ten feet away in the van. The kids and kiddos were blissfully unaware as the had retired to one of the tents for secrets and giggling. My son entertained them with singing and guitar Nice!

Cleanup was easy - so nice when you can be lazy and pop muddy ground cloths into a plastic trunk bin, and you don't have to bother with packing out your trash.

We had a blast. As I led in, it was the polar opposite of what we'd planned for originally, but it ended up being just as fun and maybe a bit more leisurely, in the end. I hope you don't mind the car camping report, and plan to make the next trip a bit more bushcrafty.

2. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great time. Glad you got out in some fashion this year!

3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad ya got out, sounds like you all had a great time. joe

4. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear you had a great time!

woodsmanjohn, brionic and NevadaBlue like this.
  5. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Glad you got out buddy. We missed you this fall

Gumbi, woodsmanjohn, brionic and 2 others like this.
  6. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you all got out and had a great time! Glad Dexter is foraging ahead!!

brionic, Gumbi and woodsmanjohn like this.
  7. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great memories made for the kids. Good report.

LarryB, brionic and woodsmanjohn like this.
  8. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great write up sounds like you all had a great time. The grub sounds tasty too that and the night sky putting on a show for you that's hard to beat. Thanks for sharing.

LarryB and brionic like this.
  9. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much for taking the kids out. That will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Good job!

brionic likes this.
  10. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Getting out is great. The "How" don't matter none to me. Hope you have more opportunity this year.

LarryB and brionic like this.
  11. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sounds very 'bushcrafty.' Adapt to the situation, and have fun when things don't go perfectly. Sounds like valuable lessons for the kids and a great time overall.
    Also a good reminder for all of us to be ready for anything. Security is always important no matter where you are.

brionic and Philly-Billy like this.
  12. brionic

Blog Posts:
    John, Dexter has a full hammock rig and various gadgets and doodads. But his absolute favorite is the Swiss gas mask bag, which he uses for his most treasured daybag and go kit.

LarryB and foxfire like this.
  13. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad it made him happy!

brionic likes this.
  14. brionic

Blog Posts:
    Kurt, I missed it, badly. Would much rather have been dealing with the safest safety and campfire lies than attorneys and drama. I had to forego a free Gunsite course too, to illustrate my chagrin.

This year I'm there. Can't wait to lose some more gear with you bunch of internet weirdos!

Kurt992 likes this.
  15. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    WOW! That sounds like a trip full of lifetime memories. Thanks for bringing us along!

brionic likes this.
  16. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the stories, glad you had fun. Good to trust the kids with tools and let them bust up wood for the fire.

brionic likes this.
  17. brionic

Blog Posts:
    I hear you. They had me sweating as the hatchet blows started getting wild and their arms started flying. I stepped in a few times and reminded them about batoning instead of swinging, about directing the hatchet outside the lines of their fleshy bits, etc etc. They are a good bunch of kids, and were receptive. The best part was the pride they took in delivering successive arm loads of prep, separated into piles of sized wood.

stillman likes this.