Racoons, garden threat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by 1911srule, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have a 30 lb raccoon who has taken up residence in our small barn. Is this guy a potential threat to our garden? What would he target? He sure likes the watermelon put in our compost bucket....

2. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    My experience is fruits and easy protein. Apples, grapes a kiwi get cleaned out here. They dont seem to touch strawberries. But they learn quickly so they very well could develop a taste. They didn't touch my sweet corn last year. But in areas where corn is common I bet they do. Pain is the best deterrent I've found. Slingshots tend to motivate them more than bb guns.
    Cheers Jim

gila_dog, ManyHammers, jasam and 6 others like this.
  3. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We have coons and possums all over the place, neither of which have bothered our garden. I’m running two traps for feral hogs, have game cams pointed at both of them, and have had as many as five coons in a single trap eating corn. Makes it harder to catch a pig when coons are stealing the bait, but they haven’t touched the garden.

JohnP

4. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    OK, my concern is for our tomatoes , and veggies . We have no corn...although there is a cornfield that's about 150 yds off our property.

5. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Your tomatoes should be fine. A lot get grown here and I've never heard of raccoon going after them.
    Cheers Jim

6. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    never had racoons get into my garden, now deer and rabbits thats another story. now what racoons do get into is my bird feeders, i have to bring them in everynight or they will destroy them. i tried trapping them but when i catch the culprit, in a few days another one takes its place. trapping them gets pointless after awhile.

JohnP, central joe, 1911srule and 2 others like this.
  7. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Raccoons have never bothered my plants, but they will murder chickens with extreme prejudice. Vile little creatures.

Wasp, gila_dog, Paulyseggs and 9 others like this.
  8. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Getcha an old yeller dog. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  9. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can remember my Dad's struggle with trying to keep raccoons out of his sweet corn. (I was cheering for the raccoons; I disliked almost everything from a garden, but most especially hated was sweet corn. I haven't changed my views either.)

Dad rigged up lights in the garden, stretched a string loaded with cans and noise makers all over the garden, and kept a shotgun by the door. It would have made a good movie: him getting up at all hours to the sound of rattling cans, cussing raccoons, shotgun blasting. He didn't kill any of the masked marauders though, just mildly entertained them. In the end, the raccoons cleaned him out. I was the only happy person in the house...

10. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't like having to shoot critters here. But one woodchuck found out the hard way. They like to hang around my house. My concern is ticks and them eating my garden. Same with rabbits, they get shot quickly. Chipmunks too, little tick factories and very destructive. In my garage they have chewed electrical wiring. Plus great pistol targets. Skunks get the 12 ga w/ full choke. Sounds like the coon will have a pass for now...

ManyHammers, jasam, JohnP and 3 others like this.
  11. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    they sure taste good ;-)

as a wee younker i shot one while my grandfather watched

we were on the back side of his place when i did it and that coon got heavy before i got it back to the house(almost a crow fly mile and longer walking thru the woods :-O )

that was the day my grandfather instilled in me not to kill unless i intended to eat or the whatever was destructive and needed to be eliminated(like skunks in the chicken house)

gramma cooked it in her electric roaster and darned iffin i'twern't real tasty ;-)

after that one i selectively harvested coons when i wasn't so far from the house

gila_dog, Paulyseggs, Oni and 8 others like this.
  12. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    rocket.jpg

Be careful they have been known to take up arms :D

Like others have posted they seem to have a sweet tooth. Sta-Puff marshmello puff’s in a Have-a-Heart trap is usually a sure thing.

Now a ground hog would be a real problem, they’ll strip a good sized garden clean in 24 hours.

13. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Just shoot him and solve the problem. My solution for groundhogs. joe

14. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    ^you nailed it... my chickens and coons, thats a whole different story. :mad:

15. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its too big for my have a heart trap. I'm thinking it might be a mom with babies. My barn and back deck have become subsidized housing for these guys...

16. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For some reason we had the leanest, largest pigs every year at the 4H auction.

Though the joke was on us. Dad kept increasing the size of the vegetable garden.

1911srule, central joe and Haggis like this.
  17. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Corn... had an aunt who buried her garden fence a foot deep to keep out the rabbits, and ran an extra electrified wire (insulators on each fence post) off the horse fencing to keep coons from climbing in after her corn... hated them.

I caught that feeder wire across the throat one Fourth of July evening, chasing my cousin with a sparkler down the tractor path... he remembered, or saw, the wire in the twilight and slid under it... I didn't... zapped me good.

18. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Just a little update. My neighbor lost all his veggies including tomato plants last night. One skinny doe with a talent for getting over fences. We have many deer all the time. In this case it's just one bad egg in the group. It got the strawberries, collyflower roses only thing not touched was onions.
    Cheers Jim

19. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Be careful trapping coons this time of year,they have younguns that are still sucking. Ask me how I know, apparently my wife is running some manner of baby coon daycare/rehab/foster service.

gila_dog and 1911srule like this.
  20. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    No raccoons or possums, thank God, but that danged armadillo comes areound occasionally just to root up my flower garden. He’s after the wums, as my son used to call them.

21. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just yelled at a deer approaching our garden. She will be nice and tender come hunting season...

ManyHammers likes this.
  22. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a minimum of tolerance for raccoons around here with no shortage of them. Heck, we even have them doing the spiderman deal over in St. Paul and getting social media fame. Not that I am jealous but if I climbed a 20 story building I have an idea what I would get out of it and it wouldn't be a lot of 'so cute' comments.

Portage_Monster and ManyHammers like this.
  23. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I may have found a temporary deterrent for the woodchucks. I took three pails of wood ash and spread it evenly around the side of garden these guys approach from. Also in a patch they like on the lawn border. They moved their feeding to the opposite side of the property...for now. Small success..

TWill likes this.
  24. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Having "been there, done that" with the critters, and gardens, you're just askin for trouble letting a coon family live in your outbuilding.

I know it sounds cruel, but I'd take the whole family out :46: before they have a chance to do damage ….. Which they will do, eventually.

Just my 2 cents.

Gumbi, 1911srule, TWill and 1 other person like this.
  25. morganbw

morganbw Scout

Blog Posts:
    Groundhogs like all that grows in a garden. They are the worrying way beyond a coon.

TWill and 1911srule like this.
  26. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Varmint Cong must be dealt with....C4 shaped like their animal friends has been used by professionals. Otherwise live trap or shoot as your heart allows. Just don't go soft in the head and relocate them somewhere else, no one in the country wants released critters or dumped pets running around.

mongo and 1911srule like this.
  27. bwallenjr

bwallenjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here I have my garden fenced 7 feet high for deer proofing. I have chickens and rabbits for mest and eggs. We have a lot of coons and possums. Some coyote and grey fox. Raccoons and possums thst show up here only have one purpose in mind so they have a permenant death order. Coons have the habit of repeating the same tactic over and over so long as their prey(my chickens)are habitual, it makes them pretty easy to eliminate. Most times a trap in their path is all it takes, them I finish it. In my experience if left to their own devices they will eventual find away to become a problem for you.

1911srule, TWill and gila_dog like this.
  28. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Coons make a great bbq. My mother in law said it was the best pull pork she ever had .

MohaveGreen, 1911srule and LazyPK like this.
  29. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Strong language warning.

Really funny. If you're Italian (as am I,) this will probably strike a chord with you.

30. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don’t get too many raccoons on my property, but in late summer they raid my grapevines regularly. They have also done a major number on my duck flock, when I had one a few years ago. I rigged up a baby monitor in the pen so I could hear the ducks in the middle of the night when the coons were around.

1911srule, ozarkhunter and TWill like this.
  31. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not many raccoons here. I think the mountain lions find them tasty.

MohaveGreen and TWill like this.
  32. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Interesting... I hunt on a property where the land owner has probably 60 ducks and chickens. She has lost all of her juvenile ducks this summer, and has suspected bobcats. There are bobcats on the property, but MANY more coons. I have a trail camera set up about 300 yards from her house watching a feeder for hogs. All summer I have had 2 pics of a single bobcat, but several hundred pictures of as many as 5 coons in a single frame. Sounds like the coons could be the culprit in the duck-nappings. It could be time to break out the Duke traps... Game and Fish has already given the nod on trapping/shooting coons due to the loss of eggs and baby chicks/ducks. The ones she has lost have been ducks with all of their feathers, but not fully grown.

1911srule and Dinsdale like this.
  33. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had raccoons raid my garden and apple trees. When they hit corn, apples etc they tend to take a few bites and go on to another thus ruining much more of your crop then they actually eat. Skunks can be a problem too. An electric fence around the garden about 8" high is the only way I've found to keep these pests out. When it comes to fowl, you are OK during daylight usually but if you leave them out at night you will lose them. Raccoons will decimate your flock by killing everything and eating some. I've never had a daylight attack on my animals with the exception of someone's hunting dog. I have 12 'x 16' walk-in chicken house and my ducks, turkeys and chickens all come in on their own at night and sleep together. I also have a stray cat we found who sleeps with them in her own area. We secure them every evening and let them out at dawn.

1911srule and Dinsdale like this.
  34. drobs

drobs Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd be more concerned about the coon tearing up the barn than the garden.

We stopped growing tomatoes in our garden because those Gray Squirrels will take a bite out of each tomato. Damn things are fast too.

1911srule likes this.
  35. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think my coons have moved on to the cornfield, haven't seen em lately. They were in my compost bucket every night...

36. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    They can be a threat to your pets, and small children. And quite the trouble makers in your trash bins. They can contract rabies, as well. I don't know how you feel about killing them, if you choose to (its the surest way they will not return, hahaha) make sure you catch him outside if you can, a wounded coon under your floor boards, or running beneath your home is not a pleasant experience. On racoon that size I usually chase them into a tree to keep them from running off, making sure I'm able to kill them. Some people live trap them, and release them other places, but I would not want to be bitten by one, or buy a live trap big enough to accommodate a racoon that size,you can buy a rifle cheaper than that in many cases.

37. THRsucks

THRsucks Guide

Blog Posts:
    They love catfood...