I then needed to unwrap the tip of the cordage to be able to insert one end of the thorn hook, then wrap it tight and open up the cord wrap a little higher to work in the other end of the thorn hook, so it wouldn't fall off. Add worm and we're in business! Now one thing no one will ever tell you on survival shows is that worms are a horrible bait to use on this kind of hook, since they have no barbs and worms, even pieces of worms, like to wriggle and that makes them fall off the hook. What I found that helps is to open up a loop on the cord just above the hook and feed a piece of worm through the cord, then wrap the cord tight again. I fished this for about an hour, losing many worms. But I did get to play in some nice sections of stream. But in the end, the tally was Fish -1, John J. -0. I got skunked by the brook trout. Had I been using this setup on a bluegill pond, I probably could have picked up a couple bluegills. I then had to go resume my parental duties for the weekend, so no more playtime for dad.