Random Knife Memory

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Jason in ID, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jason in ID

Jason in ID Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tonight while reading through the forum, something jogged a random memory that I thought I would share.

In 2003 I lived in Logansport, IN for a few months and while there, I lived with a gentleman who was 94 years old at the time. He still drove his car around town and was very active for his age. I enjoyed listening to him tell stories about his life and how things were when he was younger. For example, he and a couple of his buddies decided to go on a road trip and they drove from Chicago to California entirely on dirt roads. It took several days and they got 14 flat tires on the way.

One day we were talking about his former profession as the owner of the local hardware store that closed when he retired in the 60s. He told me he had something that I might be interested in seeing. He had me get a dusty box down from the top shelf of his closet and opened it. Carefully wrapped and stacked inside were some stag handled Case XX knives. I’m not talking about a just few either. He had his entire display case and remaining inventory of every model you could imagine, some of which were still wrapped in the original wrapper and hadn’t seen the light of day since they left the factory! There were at least fifty knives in the box, probably more. I drooled over them for a long time. He said he was saving them for his kids when he died. I can only imagine what happened to the collection. I wish I could have bought one from him but I guess it will have to remain a memory. These pictures are similar to what they looked like:

upload_2019-6-30_22-46-19.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-30_22-52-59.jpeg

They sure were cool to see. Thanks for reading!

posifour11, Paulyseggs, Zeke and 14 others like this.
  2. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing. Old people are even more cool when you get bonus stories out of them. Someone thats a good story teller and you can tell they're just telling it like they remember it is a fantastic aag to pass the time.

3. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very fine tale.

MrFixIt, Bobsdock and Jason in ID like this.
  4. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    those knives were originally display'd in a case like the one i got my 1st knife from

FOND REMEMBERIES INDEED

MrFixIt, Bobsdock and Jason in ID like this.