Rapala/Marttiini outdoor knives?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by JimG, Aug 11, 2019.

1. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have any experience with the Rapala/Marttiini Classic Birch outdoor knives? I have a need for a few knives that are inexpensive but good. These seem to fit the bill in 3 ways - cost, blade design/shape I prefer, traditional looks I prefer.

My favorite WR Case knives have been discontinued or production cut way back depending on the model. I had a heck of a time replacing my beloved stacked leather handle drop point hunter last winter after some schmuck lost it. It seems like every year or so some inconsiderate hunter at the lodge borrows one of my Case's and either looses it or breaks it (used as a pry bar). I've had it! Funny thing is I've never lost or broke a knife, only these jerks have.

My three Rapala/Marttiini fillet knives (4", 6", 7.5" ) that I've owned for decades that I use for filleting fish and as boning knives for butchering game have been excellent. The inconsiderate idiots ignore them as I guess the Rapalas don't look 'cool'.

So if anyone has used or handled any of the Rapala/Marttiini Classic birch handle outdoor knives let me know what you think. Thanks.

Here is a link to what I'm asking about- http://blog.rapala.com/rapala/rapal...ting-world-with-new-premium-knife-collection/

2. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I currently have one with the plastic handle. If I recall it was about $20 on amazon, but they’re weren’t a lot available when I bought it. It’s a lot nicer than the similar moras. It’s very sharp and I’m sure the spine would strike a ferrorod unlike most stamped out moras.

I had one of the carpenter models and liked it too. I was nervous about using it with the softish wood handle and not knowing how much of a tail that was inside the handle. I’m sure it would have stood up to normal light use. It was just my own reservation being used to heavier full tang knives. Quality was pretty good as far as grind and fit.

3. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the reply Pharmer. The stick tang on these models run through the handle and are riveted at the end of the handle. I agree that stick type tangs are not as rugged as full width tangs. However I don't baton with my knives nor do I use them as pry bars. The Cases I own are stick tangs and I have not had any issues with them that I created. Can't say that for others around me. I know the steel is on the softer side with the fillet knives, is it on the soft side with the two you own?

4. Pharmer

Blog Posts:
    No problem. I don’t think I’ve had any issues, but I haven’t used them much. Maybe the fillet knives are softer to prevent chipping etc? I’m not sure. For the money I don’t think you can go wrong with them. Maybe you can try one of the $20 plastic handle one first if the wood are more? I bought my carpenter from overseas, so it was more, but you can find them in the US now which I couldn’t when I bought mine.

central joe, garry3 and buckfynn like this.
  5. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are made from 420 Stainless Steel instead of the Swedish steel.

central joe, garry3, buckfynn and 2 others like this.
  6. Mangrove

Mangrove Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rapala and Marttiini are considered inferior to Victorinox here in Finland and in fact all of the chefs and fishmongers I know only use Victorinox knives.

pellegrino, goon, central joe and 5 others like this.
  7. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm OK with 420 SS in this case.

central joe, buckfynn and Pharmer like this.
  8. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:

My feeling is its a knife made on a budget without the Mora market behind them

They will cost a little more because of that but the handles feel great and there is a traditonal feel about them

leopard, central joe, garry3 and 3 others like this.
  9. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mangrove-
    Virtually all of our kitchen knives are now Victorinox. They have slowly but surely replaced other brands as time has gone by. I've got no complaints with Victorinox. Still have 1 Old Hickory paring and 1 older unknown make heavy boning (made in USA and stainless) and the cleaver is some off brand Chinese special but it works fine for it's intended purpose. These rest including steak knives and such are Victorinox.

10. Pharmer

Blog Posts:
    0563AD42-12B3-4887-A98E-7F87A0DE1D62.png

This is the one I’m referring to because pics are cool.

11. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the top knife shown in the pic that you posted. I keep it in my hunting coat to filet the breasts off of grouse, but I wouldn't hesitate to clean a deer with it. Also, the blade could easily do double duty to filet a fish. I love the knife.

central joe, garry3, Pharmer and 2 others like this.
  12. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have the Marttiini Lynx Lumberjack yet I've yet to use it.I usually just use my main go to knives like my TOPS Fieldcraft BOB,and my new addition to the family my Jeff White Camp King blade for camping and general general utility.
    knivesnstuff (7).JPG

central joe, garry3, JimG and 2 others like this.
  13. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I found the handles to be a bit short, well suited for a woman’s hand, though.

14. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well the most persistent and biggest complaint about Marttiini knives I can find after many Google searches is that the steel is a touch on the soft side. I guess I'm going to find out for myself as I placed on order.

I've never been one to care too much about the steel in cutlery. As long as it will sharpen well enough to shave hair and hold that edge reasonably well I'm happy as a clam. I'd rather have a blade that is easy to sharpen and have to do it often than a blade that is a real bear to get sharp, even if the sharpness lasts longer.

I'll post my thoughts after I've used 'em for awhile (yes that's a hint I bought more than one).

central joe, garry3, Pharmer and 2 others like this.
  15. sharpmaker

sharpmaker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought 2 of the drop points and lightly modified one by sanding down the handle, I have used it for a bit of carving and have no complaints so far, although I have not used it enough to truly test for edge retention yet

Attached Files:

central joe, garry3, JimG and 2 others like this.
  16. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of my rapala 4"fillet knife, even with the steel being a bit soft, gets very sharp.
    These look interesting. Haven't seen them locally.

JimG and central joe like this.
  17. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Interesting composition of the steel that Marttiini is using, 3% Cr and 0.75% C with an HRC of 55-57. I not even sure what the name of their still would be called. And I don't know off hand of anyone else in the knife industry using such a steel.

I have been eyeing their carbon steel blades for quite some time but never have pulled the trigger to buy one.

leopard and central joe like this.
  18. mcblade

mcblade Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a rapala and I found out the easy way they do not float. want a sheath for one?

goon, Doubles, leopard and 3 others like this.
  19. Frederick89

Frederick89 Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I mailed them about their carbon steel, they called it "modified 1075".

pellegrino, buckfynn and central joe like this.
  20. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The knives in question in this thread are some kind of 420 ss. The blade blanks are made in Germany and the knives are built in Finland. So whatever Germany uses as a 420 equivalent is the steel in these knives.

buckfynn and Primordial like this.
  21. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I own the fullered clip point version and it lives on my day pack. They are decent knives for the money and are very sharp out of the box. It's a very lightweight knife but feels solid enough to do any knife chores a traditional puukko can do.

100_0419.JPG

buckfynn and JimG like this.
  22. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Primordial-

CZ or Mossberg?

Primordial and buckfynn like this.
  23. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mossberg Silver Reserve II.

Poorman's fancy gun.

100_0428.JPG

Bryan King, garry3 and JimG like this.
  24. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice! I have several shotguns but only one o/u. Got a very nice deal on a NIB Citori. A few members at the hunting lodge have Mossberg o/u's. They have put quite a large number of shots through them on the trap/skeet range without any problems. Was looking at the Mossberg's and CZ's then the Citori deal just sort of happened.

25. smokee

smokee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have two Marttiini puukko knives in carbon steel and find them to be very nice knives. They aren't expensive but are very sharp and hold an edge well. I use them for light duty fieldcraft/camp chores. No complaints at all.
    My old Rapala filet knfe is still going strong after several decades as well.

buckfynn and garry3 like this.
  26. leopard

leopard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I thought they were made in Finland. At 3:01 he says The blades come from either Germany or France.

buckfynn likes this.
  27. JimG

JimG Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The blade blanks are made in Germany. The knife is made in Finland. One of the knives came in today. I'm reserving judgement until I use it some.

Edit- nothing in my reserving judgement statement should be taken as a negative or a positive for that matter. I want to use it some before running off with my mouth.

28. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have a Marttiini Arctic circle and the steel is very disappointing. They could have easily bumped it to 58- 59 rc and given much better performance. They are nice looking knives.

Kellam and Ahti are far superior.

29. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Is the Acrtic Circle carbon or stainless?

30. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Carbon at around 55 rc.