Really roughing it the last few days

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by dads2vette, Jul 8, 2018.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Maybe a bit of a back story...
    Just after I bought the property i started living on it in a 2 man then 4 man tent for the first six months. Then for the next year I moved into a luxurious 10 x 17 Harbor Freight portable garage. It took me about 9 months to rig a system for hot water...another step toward living civilized. Moving into the house before walls or utilities was incredible...didn't really know I missed the security of solid walls.

Now, I live in the lap of luxury. Plenty of power from the sun, water comes on as soon as I turn on the faucet and have hot water from the shower. I even got a nice A/C unit in the window.

Alas, all that changed 3 days ago when I ran out of coffee. Monsoons have started here at the ranch and I don't want to miss any of the fun that goes with them(translation: I'm too lazy to get off my non-caffeinated arse and take the 3 hour shopping trip just for coffee). Yesterday morning I did find a few packets of herbal tea that a guest brought...ugh(beggars and choosers). This AM I found a couple of those packets they have in hotel rooms used in the in room coffee maker. I take those for emergencies and forgot about them until I started to panic and was ripping the place apart. Ever go to grab that nice cup of water and instead grab the cup of old soda that is mostly melted ice? Not saying it tastes like that, it tastes like the disgusting surprise you get with your first gulp, every gulp.

Still too lazy to head to town. I've kept all the used tea bags and coffee bags. Will I use them together? The thought makes me shiver and throw up a little in my mouth...I wonder if this is how the Donner party felt before the succumbed to their hunger?

Send smoke...and coffee
    dave

2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When you wakeup to no coffee you know it's gonna be a tough day. joe

T. Pollock, Skruffy, xrayit and 9 others like this.
  3. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh man!
    We need to organize an air drop!

4. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At camp we keep a couple 1 lb. used up coffee cans full of sun dried old grounds and when things start looking tight we mix them half and half with fresh grounds to stretch it out and still get a half decent cup of coffee. A few times we had to use the old dry grounds alone, you have to double it up else to weak, taste a bit bitter but you can tell it's pretty close to coffee and will take the edge off.

5. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael

Blog Posts:
    Might see if you have some chicory around to make "coffee" with. No caffeine, but it tastes similar.

Try this until you get out to town :
    [​IMG]

Good luck bud, I'm gonna go have a cup and try to send you caffeine with my Jedi mind trick

6. schapm

schapm Incompetent City Dweller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That was my first thought as well!

7. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In the meantime while waiting for Crusher to do his Jedi juju help yourself, hot and black add what you want and there's more in the pot. IMG_5473.JPG

8. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    You're one of those dad's that would wrap Christmas presents and leave them under the tree for two weeks before Christmas aren't you?(me too).

Coordinates:
    35.113472,-112.636333

9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just head out to the food storage container. I think there are at least 20 big cans of coffee in the mix. :cool: I will not do without coffee.

Skruffy, xrayit, dads2vette and 3 others like this.
  10. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Oh, you poor boy. My heart pumps peanut-butter for you.

11. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can face just about anything but don't mess with my coffee. I think I would have braved the storm.

12. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Not the storms, it's the wash outs. There are two significant areas on the road where washouts can be an issue. Not worth the 30 minute drive to find out that there's a river I can't cross. No downpours locally today but these things fill up from rain that fell 20 miles away.

That being said, I'm getting out tomorrow. NEED COFFEE!!!

13. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty cruel. :)

14. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cheap and easy to store, no coffee is NO Bueno !

1443985062482.jpg

Sinjin, NevadaBlue, Skruffy and 4 others like this.
  15. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    They have mail order brides, surely they have coffee too, or is the mail box hours away too?

Life is easy, I don't drink coffee or beer :D

16. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    No mail service this far off road. The trip to the PO is the same for coffee. UPS will deliver a the parking lot either in town at a gas station or the lot next to pavement just at the edge of the ranch. They call me and let me know about what time they're going to be there. How many folks have the phone number for their UPS driver?

NevadaBlue, Skruffy and gohammergo like this.
  17. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if he's still alive. When I was a teen there was a old mountain man. If you went camping he'd likely come check on ya. He knew everything about the area and bushcraft. A bag of coffee or sugar always got him talking. He had the same trouble you do. It was simply to far for just one item. Anything store bought he carried in a pack. So he couldn't exactly buy in bulk. Hang in there man. They'll put in a Starbucks before long LOL!
    Cheers Jim

18. Gray Wool

Gray Wool Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think Old Chicago Coffee Co. sells five gallon restaurant buckets of beans. Something like fifteen pounds at a shot. They're resealable. That should be worth the trip to meet UPS. I'll suffer through a lot of things, lack of coffee is not one. Godspeed sir.

19. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you cold brew you can stretch those coffee packs. Just let it sit longer and blend it with less hot water.

NevadaBlue and dads2vette like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    And I thought I was toughing it reheating my day old coffee.
    Actually i knew folks that dried every thing and reused them over and over .tea mostly .
    A pinch of salt ,or egg shells, takes care of the bitterness .

21. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hope you were able to make the trip!

22. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Time to lay in some backup supplies of the necessities, coffee, TP, sugar, etc. A small tin garbage can with lid can store a lot in very small space.

23. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Good news, everyone can relax and call off the airdrop. I made it out and got a cup or six of coffee!

I did have a back supply...3 pounds of beans and two cans of grounds. Not kidding when I tell you I had coffee on the shopping list for the last two trips(1 per month) and forgot the coffee. Too far to go back so you "suffer". Just ordered 9# from a roaster I know in Lackawanna, NY. FREE SHIPPING!!

Thanks for putting up with my bs
    dave

24. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Amazon Prime! You can have a truckload of coffee in 2 days if UPS delivers there.

25. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I've got Prime. They deliver in town at a thrift store for lots of folks who live in the "back country" or I can meet them at 1 of the three gas stations. If they have more than 1 person to deliver to they will do so at the parking lot at the ranch that is right next to pavement.

dave

NevadaBlue likes this.
  26. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have heard dandelion roots when roasted and ground up taste like coffee, has anyone done this before?

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

dads2vette likes this.
  27. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you are tucked back in there a ways. What do you use to pick up your supplies? ATV? I would love to be out there but I'm getting too old for that and at the point where my doctor visits are too frequent. Enjoy it while you can! BTW, UPS comes to my door but I still order my coffee in 6 month supplies because I hate running out so badly. Sounds like a great setup you have though. You aren't running the A/C unit on solar are you? That would take quite a lot of power. Generator? Also curious how your water supply works.

28. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    A/C does run off of solar. I have more than I need. I over built the solar when it was installed. A 24v system with 8 six volt batteries and a 4000 watt converter. I was going to get a better swamp cooler(I built one last summer and it was great) because they are so efficient electrically compared to an A/C unit. The smaller evaporator coolers use 4-5 gallons of water a day. That's two to three times what i normally use in the summer. Since I have more power than I need and I haul water it just made more sense to get a "dry" cooler. Water is more difficult to come by than electricity in my case. Water, I haul it in two 55 gallon food grade barrels and transfer it to a 275 gallon tote. Water is pumped throughout the house with a small pump(soon to be updated) that has a built in pressure switch. On average I go thru 1.5 gallons of water a day throughout the year. I have a small 15' pond that holds emergency water and if things get real bad I could head to the cow tank 1/2 mile away. This fall I get the materials for a water catchment system. That will give me more water than I can use. I have a dual fuel generator and multiple ways of cooking...back up on back up on back up...

Gary V, Guy and Gray Wool like this.
  29. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you have an impressive solar setup. If I had to build a water supply powered by solar I would probably design it around RV parts. Maybe that's what you've done judging by the description of your water pump.
    At one time I was interested in buying a remote parcel in your general area but by then I already had a family. There's no way that would have worked out and my wife would have hated it too.

Have you ever price a water well in your area? I did once and if I recall correctly it was in the $12-20k range. Correct me if I'm wrong because that was quite some time ago.

30. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    You are correct. I have a small rv pump that was to be a temporary solution. It's on it's last legs know. I have another, larger pump with pressure tank waiting for me in town.

My last went to college a few years ago and that's when I moved out here. Being alone makes things much simpler.

I just got a quote for digging a hole out here. It was $50,000 for the hole and well pipe. Conduit, electrical, pumps and tanks would be extra. That is what i would pay for 4 million gallons of water. I'd be better off spending a couple grand on a huge holding tank and increasing the size of my catchment area(putting on a deck with roof). Hauling water isn't inconvenient. I just get some whenever I'm in town or passing thru. I always have empty barrels in the truck unless I know I'll be picking something up that fills the bed.

dave

Gary V likes this.
  31. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow, $50k is nuts for sure. Have you done the calculations on how large a catchment area and cistern you would need to collect a comfortable water supply? Of course you can always supplement with water from other sources like you said too. It becomes pretty routine after a while I imagine. Maybe you could save a few $$$ by cutting back on the coffee LOL.

32. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Off the area I have now I would get about 4000 gallons if you factor 30% lost thru harvesting, accidental spillage, filtering... Even during heavy use times where I take a quick shower to cool off(outdoor shower), dish washing, drinking, cooking, I go thru about 150 gallons a month.

I have cut back on coffee. I use to eat the beans like popcorn.:dblthumb:
    dave

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    marbleman and Gary V like this.