Recipe Sticky

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by SluggySlugworth, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Esee Boy

Esee Boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I saw a YouTube vid from Dave Canterbury about this one. Could Anubis1335 be Dave? That guy's the man!

2. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Who's Dave Canterbury?

Gii shi kan dug likes this.
  3. roweman07

roweman07 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Uh oh........

4. Gilly

Gilly Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Pickled Eggs.

Been looking for a tasty pickled egg recipe. I haven't been very lucky with pickled eggs. They're either too salty or too vinegary. These ones so far are about my favourite.

I think you could add some hot peppers or fresh garlic for a change too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also....for those hard to peel egs this works really well

[​IMG]

Cheers.....

Harley

5. roweman07

roweman07 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever tried purple pickled eggs? They are a lot smoother. I can get my wife to type up a recipe if you want it.

RangerWeaver and bacpacjac like this.
  6. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Hot doggy stuff"

Stupid title made up by my family before I was born. Had this on every single trip at least three or four times.

"Hot-doggy-stuff"

hot dogs sliced into rounds (substitute bacon, spam, sausage links broken up, or any other meat you like.)
    onion
    potatoes cut into sticks, or small cubes so they don't take two hours to cook
    eggs
    Salt/pepper
    A little oil (if you're not using sausage/bacon or other greasy meat)
    Fry together in pan over open fire.
    Maybe some ash, a bug, or a hair that no one recognizes as unintended garnish.
    Amounts not really important, as long as you've got the four ingredients, its good.
    Childhood memories.

NevadaBlue and bacpacjac like this.
  7. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Flank steak is a great cut of beef that can usually be found pretty cheap. Although prices are rising along with most meats. Anyway, this simple recipe is to good not to share

Ingredients. Flank steak, kosher salt, ranch powder.

Lay out the flank steak, cover both sides liberally with the salt and ranch powder. Cook 5-8 mins on each side on the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let sit on counter for about 5 mins after you take it off the grill before you cut into it. This allows the juices to be soaked back up.

[​IMG]

And for dessert

[​IMG]

8. germanicus777

germanicus777 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Moooooaaaarrrrr!

I just read every post from page one to the end. Need more recipes!

Knighthorse and bacpacjac like this.
  9. rbeek1

rbeek1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mexican red chile (chile colorado)

I like to make this with just meat, but my wife will add potatoes to stretch it farther. This is good in burritos or just out of a bowl with tortillas (corn or flour).

Hard way....
    Take 6 to 8 large dried red Chile pods and steep in a pot of water until soft and plyable. Use just enough water to cover the chiles.
    After they are soft, put them in a blender and add most of the water you used to steep the pods in. Let this cool for a bit and then liquify with the blender. When this is done, pour the contents though a tea strainer into a bowl. You may need to use a spoon to work this through the strainer. This will separate out all of the skins and undesirable solids and only leave the red Chile and water.

The easy way is to buy frozen red Chile at the store, let it thaw, and dump it into the pot you will make your Chile in. I usually use the Bueno brand. You can get it hot or mild depending on your liking.

Take and cube up a pound or two of pork. I will make mine about 3/4" for eating out of a bowl, or 1/2" to use in burritos. Brown the pork in the pot and season with garlic salt.
    When the meat is browned, add the red Chile and bring to a simmer. Let this simmer for 30 minutes. I season with garlic salt or regular salt to taste. If you would like this thicker for burritos, you can use flour mixed with water for thickening.

I have not tried this yet, but it occurs to me that the meat and red Chile could be dehydrated separately and carried on the trail to be eaten later. Just add water season and eat.

Hope you enjoy. This is one of my favorite meals. I have taught many scouts how to make this and it is always a hit. Many times we would just cook it in a Dutch oven and sit around with our tortillas eating it out of the oven by making little scoops out of the tortillas. Only one pot to clean when you are finished.

GrowlingBear and bacpacjac like this.
  10. NVRDONE

NVRDONE Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been making this for a while and thought I'd share.

Ingredients:
    - 6-8 Chicken Thighs
    - 2 packages of Carolina Black Beans and Rice (I've also used the Virgo brand, both are good choices)
    - Your favorite salt-free seasoning (low-salt options will work, just go light with them)

Turn your grill on high and get your water boiling in a 6 quart pot. (5 1/3 cups if using the Carolina rice)
    Season the chicken thighs.
    When the grill is nice and hot put the chicken thighs on and cook for 5 minutes a side
    Pull the thighs off, debone, and cut the meat into bite sized chunks
    Put the rice mixture into the water along with the chicken
    Cook the rice according to the directions (bring to boil, turn to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Carolina rice directions)

Your done and you have a crazy tasty, nutritious, and filling meal.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    bacpacjac likes this.
  11. Pygar

Pygar Scout

Blog Posts:
    Years and years ago, my mother, realizing that "those black thorn things you stick in the hams!" (cloves) were grossing us kids out, she started putting some sort of ambrosial reddish-orange powder on them, as well as her pork roasts. It was pungent, not peppery or hot- and now I can no longer ask what it might have been. Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to describe it by...

bacpacjac and vyking like this.
  12. NVRDONE

Blog Posts:
    Paprika?

Knighthorse, bacpacjac and vyking like this.
  13. Pygar

Pygar Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to get some and see- I don't recall ever tasting any. Thanks!

Knighthorse, bacpacjac and vyking like this.
  14. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    Smoked paprika maybe. I Use that on quite a few things.

15. NVRDONE

Blog Posts:
    Paprika is weird like that. 9 times out of 10 its a supporting ingredient, something that you don't taste but would miss it if it wasn't added. There are a few things where paprika is a main flavor but they are from certain cultures. I'm Hungarian and we use paprika in everything. We even have a dish named after it, Paprikash. As you can guess there is a ton of paprika in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_paprikash

16. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tis the season for warm drinks, right? I know I am always buying those stupid little packets of hot chocolate for myself and the family every year. I just found a recipe by Alton Brown to make it in bulk and make it better than pre-packaged. This makes about 5 1/2 cups of dry mix. Here it is:

2 cups powdered sugar
    1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
    2 1/2 cups powdered milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
    Hot water

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown

17. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Experiencing Wanderlust Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always cook this one when I'm up in the boundary waters. It's legal - no glass or cans - and it's easy to adapt to however many people you're with. After a hard day's paddle, I've never had a complaint.
    Back woods Pesto Chicken:
    I take noodles (your preference on shape) and I boil them. I then strain them as best you can, and add one package of Knorr pesto sauce mix, a package of cooked chicken with a bit of oil, and salt. If you do it right, the heat from the boiled noodles warms up the chicken if you let it sit covered for a few minutes and salt to taste. Boom - protein and carbs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

MJGEGB, SC864, Bridgetdaddy and 3 others like this.
  18. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nakadnu's family wild game "recipes"

Venison Salami.
    First thing is to grind the venison with some sort of tallow. I like to use the cheap pork ribs with lots of fat. Mix about 5 parts venison to 1 part pork. This gives a pretty lean mix and will not hold up real well after it is cooked. If you like add more fat.
    Mix together,
    2 lbs ground meat
    1 1/2 tablespoons of curing salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 cup water
    Let this sit in the fridge over night. Then roll into a 2-3 inch diameter tube shape wrapped in foil and bake at 350 degrees for up to 1 hour. I have also cooked this on 200 degrees for 2 hours which works just as well.
    I also like to add a teaspoon of liquid smoke and a 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper.

Goose sausage.
    Very simple recipe. We have used goose, duck, wild turkey, sage grouse(I don't think you can hunt sage grouse anymore) and most other game birds.
    You need to buy a package of bacon ends and pieces. Or any bacon will work. I like ends and pieces because it costs less and you get big pieces of fat and big pieces of meat. If using the ends and pieces separate the fat and meat. Save the meat for beans etc.
    Grind 4 parts bird with 1 part bacon fat. Mix in 1/2 cup of water for every 2lbs of meat. This works best if you stuff into sausage casings but is not necessary. You can add whatever seasonings you like. Just be careful with the salt as the bacon fat can be salty enough. This is a good way to use any wild game that you don't care to eat on it's own.

Cover up gravy.
    This is an excellent way to pass off just about any bird, rodent or other not really desirable cut of meat. I also use it with beef meatballs and it is a very good and simple gravy for just about anything.
    Use 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of water and 1 packet of brown gravy mix. Mix it together with a wisk or spoon. It doesn't have to be mixed well it will do that on it's own while cooking.
    To prepare your mystery meat, debone it, roll it in flour and brown it on both sides. You don't need to cook it all the way you just want a good brown color. Put your meat in a roaster pan and make sure it has at least a 3 inch cover of gravy. Cook this on low heat for several hours. Be careful to keep a straight face as your picky significant other unknowingly eats and enjoys porcupine or raccoon without knowing it.

19. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I do realize this an old post but Chicken Paprikash is the BOMB! We had a Hungarian community in our area and the Churches there would make this for their Fall Bazaars etc. Thanks for the memory.

20. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    LOW(er) carb pancakes. If you are trying to lower the carbs in you diet yet still have a hankerin for some good pancakes you can try this.

1 banana mashed
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp cream

Mix all together in a bowl and cook like a normal pancake.

Micros come out to about 14g P, 18g F, 30g C

Add a little butter and no sugar syrup if you choose. They taste like pancakes with just a hint of banana flavor. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. grelcar

grelcar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Vidalia Onion Pie

2- Pounds of thinly sliced Vidalia Onions
    6- Teaspoons butter
    3- Eggs
    1- Cup Sour Cream
    1/2 Teaspoon of salt
    1- Teaspoon black pepper
    1- Cup Pepper Jack Cheese
    4-5 pieces of smoked bacon fried and crumbled
    1- finely dice jalapeno pepper (optional)
    1- Cup sharp Cheddar Cheese
    1 Pie crust

Sauté the Onions in the butter until liquid is reduced and onions begin to brown. Let stand and cool some.

Grate the cheeses.

Beat the eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper together. Add the grated pepper jack cheese, jalapeno pepper and bacon to the egg mixture and mix well. Pour into a 9 inch pie shell and add the cheddar cheese on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes and let cool and serve.

I like to bake it in a preheated 10” cast iron skillet.

My kids like this and they don't even care for onions or sour cream. This is a family favorite of ous.

bacpacjac likes this.
  22. dkgoesmo

dkgoesmo Scruffy looking Nerfhearder Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I subscribe to a email newsletter for the Ozarks. This recipe was in this months edition. thought it would go over well here.

StateoftheOzarks’ Cookin’ — BANNOCK CAKES (IRISH GRIDDLE CAKES)

Serve with honey, sorghum, syrup, apple butter, or applesauce or can be served as savory with thinly sliced white cheeses and sharp mustard.

1 cup cooked steel cut oats
    1/2 cup white whole grain wheat flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

In medium-size bowl, stir together egg, honey, buttermilk. Stir in cooked oats; add dry ingredients, mix well. Preheat griddle on medium-low heat; when hot, coat with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 1/2 cup batter on griddle; flip when bubbly, turn once more baking cakes gently. Makes 7 four-inch cakes.
    — War Eagle Mill, 11045 War Eagle Road, Rogers, Arkansas

23. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Quick peanut butter cookies
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg.
    mix together, form and bake for about 9 minutes at 350.

24. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fried potatoes in an iron pan

I recently bought my first iron pan and I am planning to use it outside. Of course not on a hiking trip (too heavy) but when the focus is on bushcrafting. But I couldn´t wait so I already started using it and the outcoming was delicious!

I was first seasoning my pan. If you can, do it outside ;-)

IMG_1577.JPG

I boiled the potatoes the day before. Also onions, bacon, garlic, eggs and chilli was used.

IMG_1586.JPG

With enough oil in the pan, the potatoes get realy nice and crispy...

IMG_1591.JPG

After that I did the bacon, onion, garlic and chilli (added in that order):

IMG_1596.JPG

Then the eggs with a littel salt & pepper...

IMG_1597.JPG

The result was realy delicious. Best fried potatoes ever!

IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1602.JPG

Now imagining this with the addtional taste of an open woodfire.....I can´t wait... :)

25. Headache

Headache Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have tried many different recipes and finally settled on this: my own little bit of Heaven. It's a little different than the average burger.

Ingredients:
    1-1 1/2 lbs your favorite fresh ground game meat (for this I used my own freshly killed pronghorn)
    1/3 of a package crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola.
    Jack Daniels BBQ sauce
    Garlic powder
    Minced or chopped onions
    McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite (or other flavors, they have a few good ones)

Directions:
    1. Thaw meat at room temp all day, or all night in fridge.
    2. Open Beer.
    3. get big mixing bowl and ingredients
    4. add thawed meat, venison, elk, antelope, whatever you have.
    5. add up to 1/3 of the package of blue cheese
    6. add three big dollops of JD BBQ sauce
    7. add about 2-4 tbl of garlic powder
    8. add about 2-4 tbl of chopped or minced onions
    9. add about 2-4 tsp of grillmates mesquite or your favorite spice
    10. mix thoroughly
    11. pat into patties
    12. grill medium heat for about ten minutes
    13. turn flame off and add cheese. (we like Tillamook swiss or cheddar best)
    14. top and enjoy (we like butter lettuce, tomato, ketchup, & sometimes Bacon!)
    15. dont forget to open a fresh beer as needed

pictures as it goes:
    ingredients:
    [​IMG]

meat added
    [​IMG]

Blue Cheese added
    [​IMG]

BBQ sauce added
    [​IMG]

Garlic powder added
    [​IMG]

Onions added
    [​IMG]

Grill mates Mesquite added
    [​IMG]

Patties
    [​IMG]

Grill
    [​IMG]

MMMMMM MMMMMM WORLDS BEST !
    [​IMG]

Testimony:.... 2 years ago my wife wouldn't even hardly tolerate Deer or Antelope meat cooking in the kitchen!!!! (I just got her to eat elk 3 years ago)
    After tasting this recipe..... she has gone so far as to have spoken the words "I love this" about deer meat!

Hope you like it!

26. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    These burgers are going on the menu at home tonight. I've got some ground beef & bear just begging for a starring role in something other than chili. :) Thanks Headache!

rsnurkle likes this.
  27. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rsnurkle likes this.
  28. Chazzle

Chazzle Idiot Savant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I pulled this one from this homesteading book I found: 20170904_133745.jpg 20171001_161845.jpg 20171001_164800.jpg 20171001_173428.jpg

29. RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver Woodloafer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have a good/decent recipe for hardtack?

30. vyking

vyking Scout

Blog Posts:
    Heres the one I use. I just swap out the carrots for eggs.

Ingredients
    • 1/2 pound mini carrots
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon chili flakes
    • 2 dried chilies
    Directions

Place carrots in a spring-top glass jar. Bring the water, sugar, cider vinegar, onion powder, mustard seeds, salt, and chili flakes to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Boil for 4 minutes.

Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, filling the jar to the top. Place the chilies in the jar. Allow the carrots to cool before sealing. Refrigerate for 2 days up to 1 week.

rsnurkle likes this.
  31. rophson

rophson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Chazzle likes this.
  32. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Peanut butter cookies.
    1 cup peanut butter (NOT low-fat)
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg

Heat oven to 350 f
    Mix the sugar and egg, then the peanut butter. Drop by rounded tablespoon full onto ungreased cookie sheet. I use a small ice cream scoop.
    Cook for 8 minutes. No longer. Cookies should look soft, they will tighten up when they cool. Don't overcook.
    Post how they came out!

Knighthorse and rsnurkle like this.
  33. Chazzle

Chazzle Idiot Savant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It was very easy, I was skeptical about the lack of ingredients and was tempted to add more things to it, but it's deceptively tasty! I see how this recipe can work with a wide variety of game.

Chazz

34. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here is a good quick breakfast for trips that helped me break out of the instant oatmeal rut. It is a savory couscous breakfast cereal that I like a lot and have thrown in the rotation. It is basically instant packs easily and keeps indefinitely:

At home put in a bag:

1/2 cup couscous
    1/4 cup dried milk (I recommend Nido)
    1Tbs raisins
    1Tbs salted shelled pistachios
    2-3 tsp sugar
    a pinch of cardamom (essential)

To prepare, mix with in a bowl 1 1/3 cup boiling water and let sit for a few minutes.

Enjoy!

rsnurkle likes this.
  35. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    Vanilla ice cream and chopped prunes.

Suddenly you life will have meaning.

36. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm in search of a Jambalya recipe for cast iron Dutch Oven. Mardi Gras is coming up soon.

I saw this on television this morning for a crock-pot:

JACOB’S JAMBALAYA WCBI News MS

In honor of Mardi Gras coming up, we’re adding a little “Cajun” to the crock-pot! Jacob’s got a slow cooker Jambalaya recipe you’ll fall in love with!
    Options: if you like your Jambalaya with a little more heat, you can add a little cayenne pepper and up the Cajun seasoning a bit. You can always wait until the end to add some extra fire!
    Ingredients:
    1 lb – cubed chicken breast
    1 lb – andouille sausage, sliced
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 can chicken broth
    2 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley
    2 tsp basil
    1 tbsp garlic
    2 tsp Cajun seasoning
    1 lb frozen cooked shrimp, no tails
    Directions:
    1. Add all ingredients (except shrimp) together
    2. Cook low and slow 6-8 hours
    3. Add frozen shrimp. Cook 30 minutes low and slow.
    4. Serve with your favorite rice!

GrowlingBear and RangerWeaver like this.
  37. RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver Woodloafer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting! I've been looking for a new Jambalaya recipe

38. zelph

Blog Posts:
    1 more from the jambalya capital:

Gonzales Louisiana Jambalaya festival

Recipe: Jambalaya (Gonzales Jambalaya Festival winner)
    Pot Luck from the Parish Mar 1, 2015 0

1/4 c. vegetable oil

1-1/2 lbs. sausage, sliced

1-1/2 lbs. pork, chunked

2 lbs. chicken, chunked

3 medium onions, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 c. bell pepper, chopped

1/2 c. celery, chopped

1/4 c. green onion, chopped

6 c. chicken broth

3 c. rice

2 Tbsp. Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce

1 Tbsp. salt

1 to 2 tsp. cayenne pepper

2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet

Brown meats in a large heavy pot with oil. Remove meat from pot and sauté onions and garlic until limp. Add bell pepper, celery and green onion and cook until tender. Add meat, hot sauce, salt, cayenne pepper, Kitchen Bouquet and chicken broth and let boil for about 10 minutes. Add rice, stir. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Turn rice, cover and cook another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let set for approximately 10 minutes longer. Variation: Seafood may be added with rice if preferred.

This recipe originally appeared in “Dive into Cooking with the Wildcats,” a cookbook published by the Walker High School 2012-13 Swim Team. It was submitted by Vernie Arieta, aunt of Amanda Rickey, Class of 2014. To order the book, call Theresa Wilson at 791-4350.

simplepeddler cast iron jambalaya.JPG

rsnurkle likes this.
  39. zelph

Blog Posts:
    In today's searching I find that cooking in a cast iron pot over a wood fire requires constant attention aka constant stirring. So, if I go slow cooking I'll use a marine Origo alcohol stove that has a nice flame adjustment.

jambalaya cook pot BIG.JPG

rsnurkle likes this.
  40. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cabbage Steak

This one is for backpacking, you won't regret trying it!

Start with a cut of filet mignon, because we only get to be out in the woods so often... Treat yourself.

Salt and pepper steak as desired

Put down some cabbage leaves, you don't need much but once everything is cooked up you'll wish you used a couple more layers of leaves.

Add a chunk of butter, this isn't the time to worry about calories

Add steak

More butter

More cabbage leaves

Wrap up in aluminum foil, toss into a ziplock, and when ready just cook it on some coals beside your fire. Here's the beauty of the cabbage- you are not going to overcook the steak- it'll stay juice in there and the cabbage is going to soak up all that juice from your steak and taste awesome. I had this on a chilly wet night with some sweet potatoes (butter & cinnamon) and it's the kind of meal that you can feel warming you up from the inside out. Enjoy!

41. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bullhed78 Seafood Bisque

ingredients:

-12 oz Small shrimp (peeled & deveined)

- 8 oz Imitation crab

- 4 oz Crayfish tail meat

- 1 oz Real bacon bits

- 10 3/4 oz Campbell's condensed cream of shrimp soup mix

- 10 3/4 oz Campbell's condensed tomato bisque soup mix

- 16 oz Cream cheese

- 4 tbs Butter

- 4 cups Half and Half

- 2 cups Milk

- 1 Carrot

- 1 Celery stalk (cut in half)

- 1/2 Yellow onion

- 1/4 tbs Basil

- 1/2 tbs Black pepper

- 1/2 tbs Minced garlic

how to prepare:

- In blender purée

6 oz small shrimp

4 oz crayfish tail meat

8 oz imitation crab

1/2 celery stalk

4 cups half and half

- In mixing bowl mix

10 3/4 oz cream of shrimp soup mix

10 3/4 oz tomato bisque soup mix

16 oz cream cheese

4 tbs butter

2 cups milk

- Once this is mixed add your seafood purée and mix. Pour mixture into 6 quart soup pan.

- add to soup pan

6 oz small shrimp

1 oz real bacon bits

1/4 tbs basil

1/2 tbs black pepper

1 tsp minced garlic

- chop and add to soup pan

1 carrot

1/2 celery stalk

1/2 yellow onion

how to cook:

- On medium high heat bring soup to a boil while stirring very frequently.

- Once boiling turn stove to low heat and cook for 3 hours, stirring frequently.

rsnurkle likes this.
  42. zelph

Blog Posts:
    Bullhead, ingredients sound mouth watering. Why simmer for 3 hours?

rsnurkle likes this.
  43. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don’t know. LoL. It’s just what I did the first time I made it. It is probably unnecessary but may give the ingredients more time to mingle? I don’t know. I am far from a professional chef. This is just some wild concoction that I threw together and people seem to love it. I have no culinary training whatsoever. Hell, I never even flipped burgers at a fast food joint as a teen. I just like food and a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

rsnurkle likes this.
  44. zelph

Blog Posts:
    Ahh yes, mingle, to enhance flavor :)

I'll try the recipe, but mingle for an hour. I lack the patience ;-) The shrimp and crawdads won me over :) Maybe I can find a source for alligator locally here in MS and add it to the pot. I had alligator for a special Christmas luncheon when I went to Louisiana for the holidays, good times were had.

Bullhed78 and rsnurkle like this.
  45. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I missed national margarita day yesterday but here is a great recipe.

GHOST PEPPER MARGARITA

-1 tsp Gus & Grey ghost pepper jam

-2 oz lemon juice

-2 oz simple syrup

-2 1/2 oz el Jimador tequila resposado

-1 1/2 oz triple sec

Combine jam and lemon juice. Mix until jam has broken down. Add other ingredients and shake over ice. Pour on ice into sugar rimmed glass. Garnish with lemon slice.

46. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    An easy and tasty field meal.

Thanksgiving in a bag (or pot)
    Tou can portion it however you like, i usually use the below measurements for a large portion after a hard day of hiking.
    1/2 cup instant mashed taters
    1/2 cup stovetop stuffing
    1 pack dry turkey gravy
    1 can or pouch of turkey chunks(and juice)
    Pepper
    1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
    Handful of dried cranberries (craisons work too even though they arnt cranberries)
    Add enough boiling water to rehydrate the taters and stuffing, i just eyeball it but would guess its probably 3/4-1 cup or so. Stir well and let sit for 5 mins or so.

Super easy to premake at home and just have it in a baggie ready to go.

Bush Billy and rsnurkle like this.
  47. elkhunter

elkhunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Elk camp green chile stew.

cubed pork (I use pork steak - use what you like)
    1 onion dices (your choice - white, yellow or purple)
    4 large potatoes - cubed (other potatoes optional)
    1 can diced tomato
    2 -3 glove of garlic crushed
    celery diced (other veggies optional)
    carrots cut in same chunks
    4 -5 green chiles cooked, skinned and diced
    In a large pot add a table spoon of snow cap lard (or cooking for wusses)
    add the meat and onions and garlic. cook until meat is browned. Add water to cover about 2 inches over meat, bring to a boil.
    Add the clery, carrots, tomatoes (other veggies your choice).bring to a boil add potatoes and green chile (water as needed). bring a boil, lower heat, simmer for half hour to hour, add seasoning as needed.
    Serve with cold beer and warm tortillas.

Adjust ingredients as desired.

CHIPPS09 and rsnurkle like this.
  48. RackinRay

RackinRay Scout

Blog Posts:
    Made this last weekend, and will likely do it again real soon!

Carne Asada Marinade

2 limes, juiced
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    ½ cup orange juice
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    ¼ cup olive oil
    1 jalapeno, minced
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 (2 pound) flank steak

1. In a gallon size resealable bag, combine lime juice, crushed garlic, orange juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, olive oil, jalapeno, and vinegar. Squeeze it around to mix it up.

2. Put the entire flank steak into the resealable bag. Seal it up tight. Make sure all the meat is exposed to the marinade, squishing the bag around to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

3. Heat an outdoor grill to high heat.

4. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and discard excess marinade. Cook on the grill for 7 to 10 minutes per side.

5. Once done, remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve.

rsnurkle likes this.
  49. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had to share this one because it was so good! I started with peeled and de-veined shrimp covered in Old Bay and cooked in the frying pan with butter and margarine. Next came my favoruite chicken ramen noodles, along with some dehydrated veggies and chicken from other noodle packs. I added in a little Piri Piri hot sauce for good measure, and mixed it all together. It wasn't healthy but it was filling, spicy, yummy goodness. YUM!

P4270075.JPG P4270083.JPG P4270093.JPG P4270090.JPG P4270099.JPG P4270095.JPG

And here's a little video for those of you who like food porn. ;)

50. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^^ OK I would eat that too.