Recommendation on cooking kit/set

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Gabriel Sanchez, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Gabriel Sanchez

Gabriel Sanchez Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello gents, any recommendation for a beginner on a cooking kit? I wak looking for a Trangia mess kit, but not sure if it would be better to try at one of those kits at Amazon, like this king of thing (obviously Chinese): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799MQM4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nZHxDbP6S9H2E

Like I said I'm new on camping and jyst starting to get some gear so I'm completely ignorant on what's needed for some simple cooking in the camp

Thanks!

2. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg I have a Trangia 27 kit with both the alcohol burner and the canister burner. For two people, it is a great camping outfit that comes with two cooking pans. I added a Zebra pot and a stainless canteen to boil water. In my lit is also a Fitebox folding wood burning stove as a backup. It will burn wood and will accept the Trangia alcohol stove. Two sporks, salt and pepper,and a pot gripper make up the kit. Add food and water and it is a meal.
    This is a camping kit; for a true backpack kit for long distance, the Firebox and Trangia alcohol stove are my go to with one titanium pot and two titanium cups along with the sporks.
    Regards,

ezra

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you're like many of us, you'll end up with different cook sets over time, as well as different stoves.

I would say this:
    There are three learning curves here:
    1. Learning to use and control your stove. How it lights, burns, and so on.
    2. Learning to cook in camping style pans. They behave very differently than the ones we use at home.
    3. Learning what food you can carry easily, cook easily etc.

I have quite a few cooking sets, including cast iron frying pans (yes, I take one often). Just start playing, and see where it leads you.

Here, a Kelly Kettle base with hobo attachment, pot visible at left:
    20190822_072347.jpg

Another great route is the canteen cup, shown here on a twig stove:
    20190417_060559.jpg

An aluminium set on a camping gaz stove:
    20190709_071900.jpg

Cast iron: 20190522_061351.jpg

Have fun!

4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bulin makes some quality stuff. A complete kit like that should be on par with the Trangia for a lot less money.

5. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    First thing to do is decide what you want to cook, then start looking for a kit to fit your needs. A canteen cup still fills most of my needs when I can get out. joe

6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good advice. I bought a few things in the beginning but they were arbitrary. I developed meals I liked and realized I had a cook kit that didn’t apply the best. Started buying this that and the other. Now I’m down to two canteen kits one to bake in and one to cook in. I have both mors pots for when I’m not solo and working on a baking pan for the small one. I’m still looking for a skillet but that I may never find. Bottom line there is plenty of well loved and used gear that you can get. A good pot will do you well. Start there, make a meal plan and start experiments. Will you be going solo most often or with others? My 2 cents is but the small mors pot and a canteen kit (heavy cover is expensive but worth it) but make sure the cup has a lid. After that a small fry pan and start making the kit your own. I don’t like sporks but the ti tongs from toaks are nice as to get a fork spoon and tongs. Spatulas I gave up on and carved one. That’s all I got

7. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup.

8. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    My smallest and lightest, complete with stove, cook set. Good for open fire, the windscreen is titanium and can be used as a twig stove, and there is an alcohol burner included.

BF9046A2-A7BD-47E1-9909-5E175F3077BC.jpeg Herself has a Trangia 25 and a 27,,, complete cooks sets and burner. She does carry an extra burner, for when she’s preparing foods that take a while. (One should wait for a burner to completely cool before refilling it, carrying an extra burner means no waiting, and cooking is basically uninterrupted.)

Can’t imagine how many pot sets or stoves I have,,, everything from a 7oz. cup w/lid, spoon, alcohol burner, windscreen/twig stove,,, all the way up to 3-burner Coleman white gas stoves with 20 piece cook sets. (I’m a poster child for compulsive gear buying.)

Usually the outing, and what I intend to do on the outing, determines what I’ll fetch along with me.

Trangia makes a Mini 28-T cook-set, complete with alcohol burner, pot/bowl, skillet/lid, windscreen, and pot handler for about $30 To $35. It’s one of my favorites, and I’ve had several of them. (I give away a lot of stuff, so I’m constantly replacing gear I’ve given away.) This is a great kit for one fella, or two cooking in shifts. It weighs about 13-ish ounces,,, fantastic piece of kit...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I saw these on Google. Olicamp brand, almost a direct reproduction of the Coleman Peak 1 kits. A nice pan with folding handles and a pot with bail. Add a GSI 1L kettle and it will serve you well for many years.

image.jpeg

10. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Joe beat me to it. Figure are out what you are going to be cooking and buy what you need to cook it. Cook your first few meals on your kitchen stove, then move to the back yard. Also build a brew kit that is seperate from your cook kit.

11. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Are you cooking solo, or for multiple people? The set you linked looked excessive unless it's for a group.

12. rurik

rurik Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of the two cooking setups I keep coming back too is my Trangia. I have a 25 with kettle and billy plus the multi fuel attachment. I am never going to say to someone “don’t buy a trangia” as they are really good for many situations. However they are heavy and bulky compared to some other options.

The other pot I keep coming back to is my zebra pot which I have had for over twenty years. I carried it for a long time and never found anything better than it.

I am currently using a 1.1Mors pot and a GSI minimalist pot as my hike cook kit. Depending on the conditions I am in depends on the burner. By choice I tend to use a Primus titanium multifuel burner. However if it is fire season or I am flying I use a GSI gas stove. I have also used it with an alcohol burner as well and might make a fancy feast stove for it at some point. Also if conditions allow it I will use fire by preference however if I do that I still carry the alcohol burner.

13. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just bought one of the WalMart "grease pots" that I really like. Kind of a "billy pot". That and a small cold handle fry pan and twig stove and you're good to go.

14. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm having trouble with pics right now so I'll try to add them later.

My current favorite is something called the Chihee camping cooking kettle from Amazon. Cheap, stainless steel pot with a spout and pan/lid. My Svea 123 stove nests inside along with s GSI bottle cup and a little nonstick egg pan I found.
    20190601_131622.jpg
    I also have a GSI kettle that holds a Trangia alcohol burner, Sierra cup, fuel, and silicon cup. I like this one in the winter.
    20180902_103248.jpg
    Then I have this little anodized aluminum pot with a Supercat alcohol burner which is my most compact.

20161106_154203.jpg

15. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Looks interesting

16. Roq

Roq Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I went wild before my 11 day primitive camping trip last week and sprung for a brand spanking new $3 aluminum fry pan and $2 on a set of 3 blue tubs with lids. The small camp pot I have been using for the past 20 years and leave it's big brother at home. The Coleman stove set me back a whopping $15 a few years back, not exactly hiker friendly but my pack is a Jeep.

cookin.JPG

17. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As other said, knowing how/what you'll cook needs to be know to give proper recommendations. If you prefer to be lightweight matters too.

Advice: don't buy anything, no matter how cool it is, until you've figured the above out. Will save you a lot of $$$.

18. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree. A canteen cup, and a twig stove is what I carry, but then I am into minimalist hiking where weight and bulk is my primary concern.

19. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use the Ikea utensils twig stove, I have a few different diy alcohol stoves that gets used with it.
    The kettle 1, maybe 2 liter (1,2, not 2), it's a kitchen utensils holder without the holes, nests exactly inside the twig stove. The "kettle" is the same diameter as the Ikea kids kettle so I found one of those lids.
    Teacup is a fleamarket find trangia mug.
    I have a blini pan that I bought for eggs and bacon but it's only been in the fireplace to cook bacon.

20. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like everyone here I have a pile of varied stoves and pots in different states fo battery and grubbiness, but I really like the Minimo now.

(that pic of scrambled eggs in the rain is just great :lol::))

21. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have this Bulin mess kit that you can have, no charge, just pay shipping. PM me if interested. Used it only to develope an esbit burning insert for it. Need to reduce amount of cook kits I have ;)

[​IMG]

22. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

23. Gabriel Sanchez

Blog Posts:
    I think i will wnt two kits based on what i'm reading, one for solo that i can fit on one of my backpack pokets.. the other a bit larger in case i go with friend/family and we can distribute fuel on one Bag, foor on another and gcookwear on another, etc...

24. Gabriel Sanchez

Blog Posts:
    awesome! thanks a lot, pm sent

25. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think you should be good to go with the Bulin from @zelph , but I just wanted to put my .02 in and say that I would not buy the cook set you linked for a couple of reasons....

1. Those plastic handles can be a problem if you want to cook over a campfire or coals.

2. There are lots of very similar cook sets for a less money. I don't think you're getting your money's worth for the price with what you linked.

As stated by others....you need to know what you plan on cooking first. Dehydrated meals that only require you to boil water, or do you want to be able to cook bacon and eggs, and maybe some beef stew from time to time? How many people are you cooking for?

Next...what sorts of fuels do you want to be using...gas, twig stoves and campfires, or something else? You want your cookset to be good for whatever and however many ways you want to heat your food. That means no plastic handles for campfires, for example.

Now...this is my cookset, which is WAAAY overkill for one person, and I wouldn't use it on a backpacking trip...but camping and bushcrafting? It's perfect...it's bombproof, and it's cheap....$15. I would recommend this above the one that you linked.

https://colemans.com/mountain-cook-kit-u-s-g-i

Here are some pics of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Gabriel Sanchez

Blog Posts:
    i think i will be making some of those ramen soups.. for diner, and just use it for kind of boiling a potato or so... nothing too complecated.. inthe morning i'm good with two eggs, but for lunch and dinner i preffer small soups..
    coffee is also impoirtant for me, my head aches heavily when i dont have coffe a couple of times a day. .. i think that's about it :)

also like I said befoe, i thik, after reading the great recommendations, i should have two separate kits.. one when i' going to class of bushcraft or to hiking solo.. and another one when i go with friends/family, where food can be on one backpack, cooking gear on another and fuel on another... but if i'm solo i would think then maybe small pan and pot (fo eggs and soup for me alone.. and canteen with a burner should fo the trick?

cheers!

Gabe

Bobsdock, bacpacjac, Foilist and 8 others like this.
  27. Gabriel Sanchez

Blog Posts:
    @MAD Punty that's a very nice kit! hwere did you source the spice box bro?

28. SpaceBus

SpaceBus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I really like the stuff by Solo Stove. I have their Yukon and Ranger fire pits and intend on getting their smallest camp cook stove as well.

29. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh, and camping in the winter, depending on how cold, you may want to think about a pressure stove of some kind ... like a primus maybe

30. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  31. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

The Townsends sells it. Comes complete with spices and one empty vial for your own choice.
    https://www.townsends.us/

32. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  33. Gabriel Sanchez

Blog Posts:
    So, then .. what about those swiss army trangia mess kits? uypur advise for a humble begginer is not to mess with the mess kit? ( :) )

34. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Awesome kit, but the prices these days puts them in the collector's stratosphere.
    I really like the BCB Crusader canteen kit. It's new, you can get the aluminum anodized, comes with a molle pouch, and the canteen cup is like cooking in a small pot. If you've ever cooked in the typical kidney shaped canteen, you can appreciate that.

35. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  36. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    My choice is a Mors pot, frying pan with folding handle(its a steel one don't remember the name) and a Snow Peak 700 cup/pot which nests on my one liter bottles. I've cooked for four with this and just myself.

37. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    The German ones are a similar design, easier to get, and much cheaper. I got one two years ago, but find that I don't use it much. Sort of bulky.

38. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    For solo/day hike trips take a look at a brew kit. For a quick lunch, heat up some water and pour it in a mug with a tea bag full of the coffee of your choice. While that is brewing cook up some rice/couscous/quinoa, open a can of chicken drain in pot. Once rice is finished add chicken.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/brew-kit.183944/

39. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For the prices they are going for now, you could probably get a new Duossal Trangia 27, a spare spirit burner, gas burner, kettle and still have change left over.

40. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1. The 1 Qt is my go to. Has served me well.
    20190902_152144.png

anrkst6973 and BlueDogScout like this.
  41. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great setup

Thunderwood likes this.
  42. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg No matter what you decide on I would pick up a clear Nalgene because it has wonderful graduation indicators and they are cheap. Also go to Wal mart camping section and they have collapable silicone cup with internal graduations for $1.47.

If you got to the pet section the collapsible dog bowls are under $5. Might want a small wisk to mix up scrambled eggs or other mixes.

This is cheap stuff but useful and allows good measurement and enhances your cookwear capability.

Foilist likes this.
  43. Gabriel Sanchez

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to give an update, @zelph kit arrived today here in Costa Rica.. and it's in great shape!! thank you very much man! it will be put to good use ;)