1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Leaves Already..

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by doanehead, Aug 10, 2017.

1. doanehead

doanehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was talking to my next door neighbor in his back yard, looked across the road and noticed red leaves. Seemed unusual so I walked over there to check it out. I'm not positive on the tree ID but the leaf looks like a hickory to me. I'm kinda wondering if cooler nights (lows in the high 50s) may have triggered it.
    Anyone know?

2. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm in south central MA. on the RI border and I did notice the same thing with some of the trees in my area, mostly Silver Maples.

3. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, one of my maples is already starting to turn, but most of the trees in the area are still going strong.

Winterhorse likes this.
  4. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's been a strange year here in E Tennessee. spring and early summer we had more rain then I can ever remember, now in August it has been cool rather then the usual hot temps. I wonder what winter will bring.

5. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep same here some are starting to turn. I've read it could be stress related

Winterhorse and Ragman like this.
  6. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    Aye same here in Scotland. It's getting darker at night again sunset around 9:05pm (BST). It won't be long until we're back to around 6 hours of daylight again.. & yes there are some trees beginning to turn. I noted late 2016 into 2017 the Rowan trees around the area were still bearing fruit December into January, these are normally picked clean by October, very strange indeed.
    Regards
    David

Winterhorse likes this.
  7. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’ve seen some color in the trees here too. I’m seeing a lot of turkeys in groups around me as well. A troupe has decided that dusting in the wife’s garden and then roosting in the tree adjacent to it is the thing to do. I do like seeing them fly up and down but it kind of drives her nuts when the root around in her plant beds.

Winterhorse and Turtle Creek like this.
  8. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have those itty bitty acorns falling onto my driveway this week. No color in the leaves tho. Sounds like I am further south than most of you. My mother lives 20 miles away, she called telling me she had the first flock of geese fly by ... they are starting to head south!

DavidJAFO and Winterhorse like this.
  9. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    As summer ends and autumn comes, the days get shorter and shorter. This is how the trees "know" to begin getting ready for winter. Perhaps there'll be an early winter?

Dom

10. doanehead

doanehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in central Va BTW

DomC likes this.
  11. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup. I've noticed the staghorn sumacs with subtle color changes and some maples as well. Too soon!

Although, with the cold comes the beauty and dead silence of winter, and we get a break from the recent onslaught of deadly tics and mosquitoes.

DomC likes this.
  12. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hoping we have a COLD winter here in WV. I cant wait to put a fire in the wood stove.

I don't remember a spring and summer that we have had so many mosquito and ticks. Ive done so much less with the kids in our woods because of the insect problems we've had here this summer-I hate that but it's been really bad. I've tried all the recommended repellents and fixes but we've been covered up in them here. There's been days I've pulled over 20 ticks off of each of my dogs. The ticks aren't as bad now as they were a month ago, but it seems the mosquitoes are getting worse in the last week or two.

I say bring on the cold, snow, hunting, trapping, wood stove fires, Oktoberfest beer, and better camping weather !:dblthumb:

13. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, Stress or disease can cause some or sometimes just part of a tree to turn early. But I'm no expert, just read the same.

UAHiker likes this.
  14. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nothing is turning yet in my neck of the woods, as we're still in Hell... second summer comes in September/Oct... but it has been the coolest Summer I remember since moving here 15 years ago... It only hit 80 a few days ago, which is over 10* below normal... due to the humidity, we don't have much fluctuation in temps during this period... pretty steady mid 90s during the day, mid 70s at night, from June through September. So I don't know what's going on. I've deliberately pushed my NY vacation into October to get cool temps and peak colors in the Adirondacks... hope it's not TOO cold by the time I get up there!

15. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seeing geese flocking and them heading south are two entirely different things. Late summer the geese start gathering up to drop onto lawns or harvested fields to eat. They fly N*S*W*E allover sort of like a bad tattoo. When strong winter storms begin later in the fall/winter transition then they will start pushing south ahead of it along with the lardier ducks and snow geese and tundra swans. So the geese give us two kinds of seasonal signs first for the change from summer to fall and then they move out ahead of real winter because they rather have open land to eat off of.

16. Wasp

Wasp Supreme Knotter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to work at a Lodge Resort here in Arkansas and people would schedule their stay a year in advance for the fall leaves change. That usually starts happening in early October but it depends on so many factors like amount of water, temperature, elevation (which is also temp related) and there rangef between 600-2700 ft.
    People would want me to tell them exactly when a year in advance the leaves were gonna change, they would offer to bribe it out of you even-lol.

Hard to tell, and around here even when it rained it didn't rain evenly around the state. Although it got hot here it never got over 100* on record at the center of the state, so it was a mild summer.
    If we get a little more rain and night time temps start dropping then we'll see a lot more change here pretty early too. Although I have noticed a little change it will still be a little while before there's a lot.

17. myliep

myliep Scout

Blog Posts:
    There was a temp drop a couple of nights ago and early the next morning you could smell that "fall" smell on the air!

18. okapimike

okapimike Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First spring buds are showing on the trees down here in South Africa now.

19. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Freeman Maple (Silver and Red Maple hybrid) is starting to change... probably about 5% of leaves are no longer green, but some variant of red. It's been getting cooler during the nights and drier as well; even the days have been less hot and humid lately.

20. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:

NOOOOO!!! The best part about summer days is that they are long and have so many hours of light. Good for my soul.. When the leaves start turning I cringe at the thought of the oncoming darkness of the cold season :( Fortunately I have an autumn loving husband who helps me to keep my eyes on the present and the beauty around me before those wintry blues takes over...