1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Red river gorge backpacking recommendations

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Vpetrell, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking to do a solo hike in a few weeks down at the gorge. It's only going to be a 2 night, 3 day hike. And trying to keep max 20 miles total.

I've been there a handful of times for short backpacking hikes and car camping, and now want to venture on my own.

I've seen a few parts down by the water, and am looking for something along the ridge lines this time. Anyone have a good recommendation? I'm looking at auxier ridge as a possible starting point to go off of.

Let me know any good jokes you've done

Thanks!

VP

Pharmer and Haggis like this.
  2. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We did the rough trail between auxier and sheltowee then went out to Hansens point. Rough trail was enjoyable but sheltowee trace towards the river is pretty enjoyable, steep coming back though.

Some of these trails were hard to find in certain spots where the riverbed turns into the trail or you've got multiple to choose from, from people wandering to other stuff.

Compass is a must lol.

I've been thinking about a solo trip down there myself

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Pharmer likes this.
  3. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It's not the easiest place to make a nice multi night trip. It lends itself to parking and day hikes. That said you can do it, but it'll take some planning and probably doubling back and or road walking. Auxier ridge area is nice and there are some stealth type and established camp areas along the RD out to the trailhead parking area.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM
  4. Cinnamon Toph Crunch

Cinnamon Toph Crunch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you start at the pinchem tight trail head, you could do a loop on rough trail taking it over into Clifty and back.

Red Wing and Pharmer like this.
  5. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I once did a trip a bit further south in the Big South Fork. Sheltowee Trace and Yamacraw Loop. I really enjoyed that area, except for the hypothermia one night.

6. Tyler S

Tyler S Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been wanting to do some backpacking at the Gorge myself. Being new to backpacking and bushcraft I’ve been searching for good places to explore and practice. I’ve read that dispersed camping is allowed in all KY state parks so long as you observe all regulations and requirements (i.e. camp at least 100 ft from established trail). Can anyone confirm? Sorry to hijack your post

7. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Tracker

Blog Posts:

All good man!

What I found, is google the park your looking to backpack or hike at and they should all have criteria and limitations on where/how you can camp. I live in Cincinnati and a lot of the parks around me locally, not allowed to primitave camp. I do know state and national parks may have a bit different rules for this

8. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Did Red River Gorge area during spring break years ago (maybe 2009?). A neat little area, I wouldn't like to go there during the tourist season though, very day-hike friendly and a relatively small spot, if you stay in the RRG area itself. We did I think 4 or 5 days there, and looped together a small part of the Sheltowee Trace trail, and did the Rough Trail the last day. Long story, but the route was not planned well. We ended up base camping at Chimney Top Creek (I think) and exploring the area for a couple days. Some very neat stuff off trail if you do a little exploring. Although I don't really like the seemingly endless forests of the East (they make me claustrophobic), the RRG area was pretty neat.

9. Alex Blain-Laider

Alex Blain-Laider Tracker

Blog Posts:
    bring shoes and stop by miguels; go from there