REI labor day sale

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by Ninety0ne, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Ninety0ne

Ninety0ne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    like many “sales” most stuff can be found cheaper, but this one has some real stars:

Rei magma sleeping bag, jetboil stove, and Salomon footwear all are top models for their type and nicely discounted
    http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/

Pastor Chris, themadindian and Harper like this.
  2. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    JonM, LongChinJon, John jr and 16 others like this.
  3. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What Gary said.

I mailed them my membership chard and dividend. Dividend had a hundred and something on it.

4. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:

Nice deal on the Magma sleeping bag. I got one for Christmas last year ... great for sleeping at 12,000 feet altitude.

5. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    To each their own. But I find the notion of boycotting REI a bit overblown when considering the entirety and actual nature of their statement and decision to temporarily drop CamelBak. It's about as mild of a violation of sensibilities as any company is capable of executing. It's not like the decades of DuPont concealing evidence of health risks of dispersing their waste from Teflon production into waterways. I just worry that we allow such minor spats to distract us from paying attention to the biggest threats to our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. It's certainly an easy trap to fall into.

twyych, LongChinJon, CSM1970 and 4 others like this.
  6. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    I shopped at REI for years. I had to drive all the way to Jacksonville to go. They finally built one in Orlando and I was very happy. REI’s management made a business decision and that made me make a business decision as well. I do not support any business that does not support my rights granted to me by the constitution of the US. I really miss doing my business there but my beliefs simply do not allow me to do so any longer. I respect their right to do as they see best, they need to respect my right to spend my hard earned dollars where I see fit as well. Sale or not, my dollars are spent elsewhere. Just my 2cents worth...

7. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  8. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    When REI made the decision to stop selling Vista Outdoor products, mainly Camelbak, they mostly screwed their customers. I have numerous Camelbak packs and water bladders, I can no longer drive 6 miles to REI and buy parts, cleaning supplies or any new Camelbak gear at REI. Who was hurt by that? This was a typical liberal knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate mass shooting. This shooting happened because some people failed to do their jobs, because the system can get lazy and allow troubled individuals to procure firearms. Many human factors contribute to any shooting incident and not a single one is because someone has a side business making firearms.

Yesterday I read a little story about democrats in California pushing people to stop eating at In-and-Out Burgers because the company had donated $25K to the GOP. Generally Californian's love their In and Out Burgers but any effort to hurt their business because they donated to the opposing party really flies in the face of what freedom and democracy is all about. I plan on having at least one In and Out burger this week, to show my support. I would prefer Five Guys but I relate to In and Out's situation.

In many ways these liberals are hurting themselves. I am not shopping at REI, I have been a member for 48 years. I cannot justify their handling of this product banning purely because of their liberal views. I also have a growing list of movies and TV shows to not watch because of actors public views. I fully support them having their own views, I do not support them using their public platform to try to inflict those views on others. They are not qualified to be experts on running a country and most are cocaine snorting, over indulgent buffoons.

Bottom line, shop where you want, support who you please but do consider who that really affects. REI's decision has only hurt it's customers and the people that make the products and has not done one thing to prevent any crime, firearms related or not.

9. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As you say, I don't expect REI's decision to have any impact on crime and violence. Then again, neither does it on availability and legality of firearms and ammunition.

It's not as if this is over political donations where a boycott results in less money and less influence. Would that be a more egregious offense on REI's part? Would that be worthy of a boycott response? With a certain political viewpoint, wouldn't it also be for In-and-Out?

In my estimation it's a knee-jerk to a knee-jerk and a bit of grandstanding both ways. Neither action does anything positive for their own cause, nor does it impede the cause of the other. It's a no-effect reaction to a no-effect reaction. It just comes off looking like a bunch of fans of one team or another hooting and cheering together. As some might call it, "virtue signaling." I guess it builds a sense of community and belonging, but at the expense of that "united" part of USA.

I can't help but feel that somewhere, on a different forum where people are talking about backpacking and hiking, a bunch of people are calling this boycott a knee-jerk reaction to REI's right to take political stands and to conduct their business with whomever they choose.

lowjohn19 likes this.
  10. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    REI, like Dicks, has conflated business choices and political posturing. Entirely their right to do so. I have chosen not to support their decision with any of my money. We are both happy.

11. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    This^.

I didn't know about REI's position prior to this thread.

12. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ordinary Spring, to not shop at REI is not so much because I do not support their politics or firearm views. It is because I bought numerous Camelbak products from REI and now cannot buy replacement parts because of their choice to make a statement against an innocent company and REI's own members are suffering for it.

Although I live in the 5th largest city in the country, there are very limited stores that carry parts for Camelbak items. I am inconvenienced for nothing I had anything to do with or could control. I do have in my control the ways I spend my money and since I an made to suffer for their political stance, I can no longer support their business.

13. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    ^^^
    Exactly

14. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Made an order last week. Read in another thread about this earlier today. All the goods will be returned with my membership card and a letter explaining why. I have been a member for about 40 years. It was a good run . Will have to use there return policy to see what else is going to be returned.

15. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I dont eat Ben and Jerrys ice cram because they support black lies matter.
    You got to stand for something or youll fall for anything.

Gary V, buckfynn, John jr and 2 others like this.
  16. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just think that this type of engagement turns us into exactly the types of tools that partisan hacks want. I read the thread when this news popped up and it didn't sound much different than a "snowflake" getting "triggered" with the hyperbole and over-the-top condemnations. It doesn't benefit either side when we behave this way.

You can look at your position as a kind of virtuous stoic stubbornness but nothing is improved as a result. From their perspective, you just sent a signal that you won't listen to anything about firearms unless it's what you already know you want to hear. They're no closer to understanding what a stupid phrase "weapons of war" is, learning what "semi-automatic" actually means, or what "AR" stands for. If someone increases the factional rift, it's not beneficial to turn and do the same in response. We need to think hard about what courses of action are effective at building the society we want. These kinds of conditioned responses only benefit the partisan hacks who require this factional divide. We don't have a parent to step in and end the childish bickering. We have rent seeking politicians profiting from it.

To say something more practical, if you want to locate a CamelBak retailer:
    https://www.camelbak.com/en/where-to-buy
    Interestingly enough, REI is still listed as a retail partner.

MisterHoodoo and whtshdwwz like this.
  17. GreyOne

Blog Posts:

Not to be unkind, but defending stupidity with specious argument is rather unhelpful.
    No partisan hack influenced my decision, reckon I am a few decades too old to need any faux parent trying to tell me what to think.
    Choosing where to spend MY MONEY does not in any way impinge on the rights of others to express their feelings.
    Those who want to use terms like "assault weapon" without even knowing what the terms mean ,such people are not subject to rational discussion or debate. To them, words mean what they FEEL they should mean, and their feelings trump any logical disagreement.
    So, no, not buying what you are selling. Not conflating politics and business used to be considered sound business policy. Now, using feelings and semantically loaded terms seems to be the snowflake/SJW mode of argument.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Taliesin, buckfynn, JonM and 8 others like this.
  18. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I get the feeling that my point is being drastically misunderstood. But I think I've run about as far as I can with it. All the best.

19. MrKnobbie

MrKnobbie Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    How did a thread on gear deals become politics? Mods?

twyych, Lars, Jay S and 1 other person like this.
  20. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    REI became political. They are welcome to their opinions on the President, the 2nd Amendment, gender, etc. I can shop elsewhere.

buckfynn, JonM, Harper and 4 others like this.
  21. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Why is freedom a problem with you? The freedom to chose, and to be heard.

22. GreyOne

Blog Posts:
    Most of us happen to be 2nd Amendment supporters. We also happen to feel that businesses choosing to become political crusaders are subject to judgment for being poor businesses to support. Not really an argument about politics unless you think the U S Constitution is a political pretzel.

Gary V, Taliesin, buckfynn and 4 others like this.
  23. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You just answered your own question: If you don't DIY you have to get your bushcraft gear from some where.

GreyOne and TrespassersWilliam like this.
  24. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Every time people go frantic over firearms, sales of guns and ammo soar and NRA membership spikes. So in the end the opposition is increasing gun ownership. You got to love how karma works.

25. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Opinions are obviously divided on REI, but I’m just happy to still have real stores to walk into and touch and feel some of the items we like to use when we are outdoors. That experience is quickly fading away. I don’t have an REI near me, but if I did I would be shopping there. LL Bean is moving into the area “soon” and when they open I will shop there as well. Right now all I have is Cabelas and Gander Outdoors which are ok, but deals there seem to be rare (Gander just re-opened so maybe too soon to judge?). EMS closed here and I really miss them. They regularly had 20% off sales which went a long way towards building up the gear we have. REI and LL Bean have regular sales which is when I usually buy from them.

26. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I will send my dividend to the NRA!