Relationship between "bushcraft knives" and "every day carry knives" ??

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by CoolBreeze135, Aug 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM.

?

What is the relationship between your outdoors/bushcraft knives and your every day carry knives....

1. They are one and the same. I don't make distinctions, and use the same knives for everything.

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. There is quite a bit of overlap, but they are vaguely two different groups.

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. There is some overlap, but some knives are just for EDC and some are just for bushcraft.

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. They are completely different categories. My outdoor knives don't get carried for EDC around town.

18 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Simple question. Does the way you use and carry knives separate bushcraft and outdoors knives from every day and utility knives?

Personally, I have a small rotation of knives that gets used exclusively for EDC. These are slim, lightweight, necessarily stainless steel, predominantly folders, and geared towards ease of carry over comfort in use. I have a second rotation of knives that gets carried exclusively for bushcraft and outdoors. These are generally fixed blades that are a little tougher, often made of carbon steel, have girthier handles that are geared towards comfort during extended use.

So, for me, there is no overlap. I'm interested to hear from others, though! How do you think about your knives?

buckfynn, badglide9705, WILL and 9 others like this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Two different categories for me. Mainly for convenience.

3. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My three current "bushcraft" knives are all small enough for pocket carry. This turley is also relatively flat, so it has been riding in my back pocket for a couple weeks.

0812182113.jpg

I hate carrying big knives anywhere; woods or around the house. So for me, its all overlap.

4. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been selling many of my knives. Many that I have been selling fit into roles I deem too distinct. As I learn about bushcraft I am shedding tools, knives included, which are single purpose.

So i guess my answer is I am keeping my remaining knives for all purposes. :)

5. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've always looked for that one. So I've found my EDC and I'll pay it the biggest compliment i can - since I bought it I haven't bought another locking folder. (I would say 'bought another folding knife' full stop, but I'm a sucker for a Farmer.) If I had that knife and a Leatherman (also EDC) or Farmer, I'd feel fine in the woods.

More power to the people out there banging blades through telephone poles, but a good fixed blade for me has always been more a precision tool rather than a power tool, if you will, so one of several smaller puukko-ish knives gets used; I could give away all but any given one and be pretty happy with it. But carrying a fixed blade is always a sign of free time and luxury for me, so why not have a few you like to use.

6. x39

x39 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    One and the same for me. The "bush" is right out the back door.

7. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I'll clarify my own position a bit. My bushcraft knives are used 85% for carving wood, 14% for preparing food, and 1% random tasks like cutting cordage. My EDC knives are used 70% for opening boxes and bags of various origin, 10% for cutting string or zip-ties, 5% for cutting up part of my lunch, 5% for hygiene (trimming nails, calluses, etc..) and 10% for random tasks like slicing cardboard, sharpening the occasional stick, cutting stems of flowers or vegetables, lightly prying something, etc...

The applications of the knives have very little overlap. Therefore, I have two different sets of knives that are each better for their own application.

Likewise, I can't really carry a big leather dangler sheath with a fixed blade in my work environment. However, that is exactly what I prefer to carry in the woods. Hence, low profile folders at work and around town, and more capable fixed blades in the woods.

The carry styles don't overlap. Therefore, the knives don't overlap.

8. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pocket knife, yes. SAK. I don't EDC a fixed blade except at work. Then it's a mora companion HD. However, I prefer my Kephart when do recreational stuff.

9. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Good point. I know that I could make do with a small folder in the woods, but I enjoy a good fixed blade a lot more (especially when I'm doing lots of carving). I gotta ask, what was the locking folder to end the search?

That's awesome. Wish I could say the same. For me, my daily environment is a drastic opposite of the bush. Way more concrete than dirt.

10. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:
  11. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
  12. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:
    My answer stands, then.

13. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only carry EDC knives that are good for survival/bushcraft. Truly multipurpose. Mostly SAK and Opinel.

I could do just fine in the woods with a decent folder.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:26 PM
  14. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:
    How is that thing holding up? Get any woods time with it?

15. schapm

schapm Incompetent City Dweller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There’s quite a bit of overlap. Pocket knives it’s 100%, and my pocket knife is almost always a Svord Mini, Opinel, or SAK of some sort. Sometimes I carry a “tactical” folding knife around town. While it *can* be used for outdoor tasks it usually isn’t. I’ll often carry a puukko or neck knife around town and then carry that same knife into the woods, but I’m less likely to carry a larger fixed blade around the neighborhood or to the grocery store. Sometimes I do carry up to a 7-8” blade in town if I’m already wearing it and feeling lazy. I’ve only ever had someone comment on my knife twice and both were about my Wood Jewel puukko. A guy at Target asked me about it. He was genuinely curious and hadn’t realized it’s legal to carry knives. I gave him some examples of how I use it daily and told him I enjoy “camping” and it was a very nice exchange. The other time was simply a compliment from a guy I passed on the street. Probably a member here lol.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:46 PM
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I make no distinction, bush knife on the river is the same as knife I use at home. I might have a mora sticking out of my ruler pocket at any time. These guys can attest I might be found on the grill, or in the kitchen, or in a kayak, with an 18" or 14" machete. :D Thankfully in my ao it's now perfectly legal to use/carry whatever edged tool you like best and I like mine long and latin-ish.

buckfynn, OrienM, schapm and 6 others like this.
  17. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I mostly see knives as knives, and any given knife is expected to be able to perform certain functions. I don't separate EDC, bushcraft, survival, tactical, etc.

Things I ask about a knife?
    1. Can I carve with it?
    2. Can I skin with it?
    3. Can I use it for whatever food prep I need?
    4. Can I use it to process small to medium game (squirrels to deer)?
    5. Can I sharpen it?
    6. Can I make a fire with it?
    7. Do I like it?
    8. Is it comfortable to use?
    9. If I pull this knife out to use it, will people freak out?

If I can answer yes to all of those questions, I carry it and I use it. My one and only minor exception is #8 - I don't expect a folder to be as comfortable as a fixed blade. #9 is a part of reality; yes, some people will freak out over whatever knife I pull out. At work, I used my spyderco to cut up my pork chop, and a coworker was like OMG ITS A KNIFE! But #9 does mean that I tend to steer away from "scary" knives, whatever that means. It also helps that the knives that I like (#7) tend to be knives that aren't 10" Space Marine Door Gunner knives. Nothing wrong with those, but they're not my style (and they're perceived very differently than say my Mora 511 - one of my go to EDC AND Bushcraft knives).

So the relationship between EDC and BU is the same. Maybe I'm too much of a generalist; oh well, THIS would be better at this, and THAT would be better for that, and etc. But I'd rather have A knife in the woods, rather than a knife for carving, a knife for skinning, a knife for carrying, a knife for deer, a knife for killing Two Legged Predators, and a knife for fixing bayonets (wait, what?).

This doesn't mean I don't have multiple knives, or even that I don't have specialized knives (kitchen! bread! grapefruit!), but just my philosophy. I find a 3-5" knife with a nice handle can do just about everything I want, I can EDC it well, and no one (except those people that will freak out regardless, even if you pull out the tiniest knife known to humans) freaks out when I pull it out to cut something. Full tang optional. ;)

buckfynn, anrkst6973, schapm and 5 others like this.
  18. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My knives are completely different, mainly because of where I live and where I work. Though, I do carry my SAK with me all the time no matter what.

buckfynn, Madwell, schapm and 4 others like this.
  19. Draven

Draven Guide

Blog Posts:
    Only thing that prevents total overlap for me is size. I don't carry my junglas or big bowies around town :)

buckfynn, OrienM, Madwell and 4 others like this.
  20. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I go both ways on this. I often carry more than one knife, one is a folder in the bottom of my pocket, the other is either a folder clipped to my pocket or a fixed blade.
    I have carried an ESEE 3 MIL IWB at work for a few years and used it all day as a work tool, but it was also a backup. I've carried a Izula II and a LTW Frontier Valley and similar knives EDC in the pocket or on my belt and sometimes in a bag.
    Some of my pocket clipped and/or fixed blades knives are for utility, and some are backup defense knives (never used always sharp) or when I cant carry a firearm.
    I don't think I have any knives that if needed couldn't be used for either really. It all depends on what I plan to do that day and where I'm going.

schapm, central joe and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  21. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One of the same for me, My EDC SAK Hiker and when in the trees for a night or more, hunting season or walking the dog my Kabar MK1 Navy or Condor Kephart get equal play time.

22. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i think the answer is a function of where you live and where you work. i know some of us are fortunate enough to live out in the sticks where, to some extent, anything goes. and some of us are living the dream, working an outdoors job.

but i live in the big city, and i work as a teacher. while i always carry, having one on my belt, especially a fixed blade, could at the very least raise some eyebrows and possible cause me trouble. i agree that the function can be the same, but in actuality for me, it's not possible.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

buckfynn, Madwell, sea6ear and 2 others like this.
  23. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Pioneer everyday, and swap it for a Farmer when heading to the woods. The two blades are one in the same minus a saw for EDC. I use Mora's in the woods when I carry a fixed blade. I've also used them at home for all sorts of tasks including kitchen duty, but have never bothered to carry them around with my on a daily basis. So basically a knife is a sharp thing used to cut. There is a lot of overlap, but I do have specific cases for specific knives I suppose. The more I practice carving and fire craft the less I care about the knife I use so long as it's sharp.

buckfynn, JasonJ, WILL and 1 other person like this.
  24. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    SAK for EDC and bush-craft. I have a fixed blade I use solely for bush-craft & hunting. I don't EDC a fixed blade because for where I live and the daily activities I engage in, it would be weird & unnecessary.

buckfynn and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  25. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few small under under 3 inch fixed blade knives that I can use for EDC/Bushcraft. I also have a few folders that work best a EDC type tool. I normally EDC a leatherman juice and a box cutter due to my job.
    I have some bigger blades that work better for wood processing and bushcrafting that I can bring into rotation when I am out in the country side. I can definitely pair up smaller blades with a hatchet or tomahawk too. I like to keep my options open.

26. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    For the last 8 years I have been carrying a 3 3/4 inch long bladed full tang knife as my EDC but it also has served very well for making fires, camp kitchen duties, cleaning fish and processing multiple species of big game.

I have just in the last couple months started to carry a smaller Spyderco folder and the larger knife is often not used as i have been favoring the folders for most of my EDC needs. I still carry a the fixed blade knife when I am heading into the woods for day long trips or longer or if I am planning on making fire.

27. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow in some ways that's kind of a tough question. I own a multitude of knives and it is all mood dependent on what I carry because I like all of them, I try to cycle through depending upon my mood. I have an AS classic which is brand new and never been used. I have AS Mountaineer which started to get used and I was going to run it through the paces this summer but early April I put this knife on. This has been my EDC all summer. Although this is not a 4 " scandi grind this is a Bushcraft knife for me. 20180813_122607.jpg

28. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    haven't broken it yet! using it everyday. it's a keeper.