remote/rural internet service ?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Lisa West, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a question for those who use satellite or other forms of rural internet carriers..
    I have terrible internet service. I mean bad, so slow that I often cant respond to emails and messages even if Im logged in. It makes it hard to communicate properly, let alone send pictures or upload pictures etc..
    We have only one land based service available and that's ATT. Though we are so far away from their closest junction that our service terrible. Some days not so bad but most days very bad. they know what the problem is but refuse to fix it.
    Ive heard good and bad about huges net, not so good around here.. Does anyone have any exp with dishnetwork satellite services?
    Heres the crap I have to deal with on a daily basis...
    [​IMG]IMG_2901 by Lisa West, on Flickr

2. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used HughesNet satellite internet for years and it is tolerable in terms of speed, but you really have to watch out for the bandwidth limitations. If we went over our allotment in a 24 hour period, they throttle the speed down well below dial up speeds to punish you. It was absolutely unusable at that point and the only way to restore that was to buy a $10 token.

If you just want to use it for general browsing, it will probably work fine for you, but unless they have changed something, watching videos is essentially out of the question.

Our phone company eventually offered DSL service and while it's not all that fast, I was so glad to be rid of Hughesnet.

On the plus side, the satellite connection was more reliable than I was expecting and didn't seem to be affected by rain or snow the way I thought it would. There were occasional service outages, but overall I was pleased with that aspect of it.

They may have changed their policies, but my advice would be to keep bandwidth allowances in mind and make sure you understand the agreement before getting into a contract.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    rsnurkle, morganbw, Forestree and 3 others like this.
  3. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have what I think they are calling ViaSat now. The name just changed a few weeks ago.
    It's the best option I have, but it seems a bit expensive, but they got me over the barrel and they know it.
    It's fast and fairly stable.
    The connection will drop in heavy rain or snow. And a couple times a day I'll get a dropped signal for what seems like no reason, but it's usually back in just a couple of minutes.
    I do grumble about it sometimes, but I never want to go back to dial-up, and that's my only other option.
    I guess over all I'm happy with it.

Edit: they offer an unlimited package now that I am on.

4. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you have cell service in your area with at least 3G service? If so you can get quite good internet using a hotspot. That's what we do on the ATT 3G network. LTE coverage would be better but what we have is fast enough to stream Netflix. The key is to shop around for some kind of unlimited plan (vs. one that throttles speed or limits access after X-amount of usage). As an example, most ATT plans now offer unlimited video streaming (at low-res), so that doesn't eat up whatever total you're allowed.

5. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I heard a lot of bad about Hugesnet.. I only know one person that has it but they despise it..
    We have cell phones on a pretty good local carrier that has 4g service, problem is here at the house you don't have that service. We live in the head of a holler(in a holler) where the signal is pretty poor. Actual phone service is fine but the net service is not because of the terrain.. That's just something that people in my area have learned o live with regarding cell phone service..
    If my ATT worked even half way correctly I would be ok with it.. Im sure Im probably stuck with it. Its just very frustrating to deal with.

6. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Look into what RVers do for internet access. A whole industry has sprung up around that, with special antennas you can raise up on a mast to boost your internet access via cell network in remote places. This website has lots of good info (some available only to subscribers):

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

7. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    who handles your cell service?
    we use a 4g mifi box that shares data with the wife's cell phone.
    it works most of the time -- sunspots can give it fits, same as any other cell service.

8. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I've had hughesnet for at least 10 years, though have considered switching to exede or dish several times.....but overall hughesnet was the best in speed/data/price for the times I checked. It works good enough as long as there aren't any problems. I've had very few issues luckily and calling customer service in India is an absolute NIGHTMARE! That has only been a few times and if I got someone that couldn't speak good english, I learned to just hang up and call back. I think most of the issues surrounding Hughesnet is all customer service related. You are definitely limited on what you can do on satellite internet with data caps, unreliable speeds, and inability to reliably watch videos or stream. For surfing the net, reading, uploading pictures, email, downloading files then it works fine. I've been lucky to not have many problems so I can't speak too bad about things.....that and I don't even know what good fast internet is even like to compare it to :D

9. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All the cell carriers are strangling their "unlimited data" plans once you reach their predetermined cap for LTE or 4G service. Here there's One cable internet choice and One dish internet choice, and One telephone internet choice.

10. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    You're not alone. I live in town in an area where the world's largest retailer (who has its own airline) and every conceivable vendor of theirs has an office. Both AT&T U-Verse and Cox are both atrocious here. You'd think we'd have some hopped up internet services to accommodate the above parties.

11. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    I also have a roof mounted antenna and a Wilson cell phone booster so I can get a decent phone signal.
    That might be another option too, if you can get a reasonable data package from your phone provider.

12. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    does the cell phone booster work well? We have a good phone plan but bad signal here at home..

13. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    We actually have good phone service, well everywhere but home. We live in the head of a deep holler with mountains straight up and down on every side and it affects our cell signal badly..

14. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had an identical experience to @NWPrimate with Hughes Net. Got rid of it the moment that DSL became available ans have no regrets. We also have Wild Blue at the family farm, and it's no better than Hughes net. I didn't have much luck with satellite internet at all, but it worked to get me through the online portion of my degree. If not for taking college courses that required a web connection, ID have cancelled Hughes net the first month. Hopefully you can find something that works well for you.

15. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    My signal outside bounces between one bar and no bars.
    Inside with the booster we have 4 bars.
    I'm very happy with it.
    I probably have 500 bucks or so stuck into mine, but I haven't payed for land line phone service for 10 years, so I saved some money there.

16. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    Our cell service just came up with an unlimited plan this last month.
    @J. Pierce Pierce does the booster help your data/net signal or just the phone service itself(making calls?)
    thanks

17. Primeval

Primeval Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe a hotspot device would suit your needs. Most wireless phone providers sell them such as T-Mobile, ATT, Verizon, etc. It's a portable wi-fi wireless device about the size of a cellphone you can use with your wi-fi capable computer to surf the net. Shop around for a good deal, the actual hotspot device, plans and prices vary.

18. chorpie

chorpie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Look into other providers in your area to see if maybe there are any wireless providers out there. Not cell phone wireless, but repeated wireless signal. In the rural areas around here, the people suffering with DSL (like you) can get equipment set up to receive wireless and can get up to 30MB, and it's got way less latency and drop than satellite.

This is an example from my area: http://ranchwifi.com/plans

19. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    we have ATT dsl. it is no speed demon, but better after a tech came out and did something to clean up drain from some old phone lines. "drain" isn't the right word. can't remember the actual term. but it is much better. no charge for tech visit ...

20. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
    I don't pay for data on our phones, I'm to cheap..... Lol
    Wilson says it works for both though.
    The people at Wilson boosters have always been really helpful and knowledgeable. If you call them they they will give you any help you need. They never tried to talk me into more equipment than I needed to get the job done.

21. J. Pierce

Blog Posts:
  22. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    And remember if you get a cell hotspot,
    It doesn't have to be the same company as your cell phone service. Choose whichever offers the best plan/coverage in your area.

23. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    HughesNet prior to this last April was an overburdened (Gen4) Satellite and it was a painful experience (from everyone I know who had it.) I finally couldn't deal with my DSL spotty behaviour any more about 4 months ago and I got HughesNet Gen5 and it is crazy fast.

This is my speed right at the moment, but it is indicative of what I'm usually getting. This is about 10X faster than the DSL that I've had for 20 years.
    screenshot.png

I'm told that the latency makes it unacceptable for live gaming or stock trading, but I don't use the Net for that. I pay $100/mo for the 50GB package. I have an additional 50GB from 2am-8am. I'm a professional photographer and use this for uploading images and have only un over the 50GB once. They throttled me, but I still had better speeds than my DSL was getting, so I'm out nothing and if I REALLY needed the speed, I could purchase 'tokens' that would fill the gap should I go over again.

Like satellite TV, in a very hard rain or heavy snow fall, service can be interrupted. (I still have the DSL for the super rare occasions that that happens.)

I'm totally sold on their service so far.

24. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Dang.....I gotta trim some tree tops or polish my dish or something.....I don't get anything near that, though I'm on a lower plan

25. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    You the kicker? Fast cable internet runs to the mouth of our holler. The man the owns that property has it but won't let it run across his property so others can get it

central joe and J. Pierce like this.
  26. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    Are you on Gen 4 or the newer Gen 5? My installer told me that that makes ALL the difference with Hughes. He actually said that Gen 4 was better than NO internet which is where most Hughes folks were initially (He actually said "Even a SMALL candle seems bright in a room with no lights.") LOL

riverjoe and central joe like this.
  27. River Boy

River Boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Century Link's high speed internet repair service is terrible in the country. When it works it works well. When there is trouble you may be out 2 or 3 weeks before they get around to fixing you. Two years ago I fed up with C Link after being off for 3 weeks. I signed up with Hughs satellite internet and had it 6 days before I cancelled. Literally a cloud goers over and the modem will shut down.
    I'll go back to dial up internet before I'll do Hughs again. In fact I have a USB dial up modem here on hand ready to sign up if my DSL goes down. Dial up is only 25 bucks a month or do. That plenty enough speed to check my e-mail and look at the Drudge report.

central joe likes this.
  28. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    We are working on getting the cable company to use the power line right away to run utilities up the holler. Tonight I could not even get my own bellsouth email to load for several hours. The worst part is my son having so much trouble doing his homework because it keeps timing out. If this falls through we are possibly looking at a booster with an unlimited data plan down the road

J. Pierce and central joe like this.
  29. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your situation sounds like you're going to need a directional antenna.

30. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just an update but it looks like we "may' be getting cable net.. We have went through the utilities and found a right of way suitable for everyone.. They are saying it looks good to go so fingers crossed

31. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! You can't beat cable IMO. Except with FIOS, of course. A T1 line would be nice.:p

Lisa West likes this.
  32. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back when we had Verizon DSL we had decent speeds then they sold out to Frontier which has steadily oversold the line so that now we have about 1/2 MBS most of the time .
    I recently went to unlimited data on Verizon so I could use the hotspot option
    But unlimited is really not unlimited is it . If you misbehave they can slow your data to 1/2
    MBS .
    Satellite company’s always scared me with their sucky reviews and two year contracts .
    At least now I hope my
    Gramdson can do elearnimg on snow days . Impossible on dsl with all the kids on line at once . Reminds me of the party lines we had back in the 50s when we all had to wait for some talkitive neighbor to hang up to
    Make a call .

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  33. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide

Blog Posts:
    @riverjoe that sounds like exactly the problem we have.. Bellsouth has oversold the bandwidth and now we are down to nothing.. In fact this evening my son just saved up enough money to buy a new game... It has to upload/update.. We started it around 5pm and its only around 40% right now at 11:30pm.. His online homework is a big issue..
    Yea, we also are kinda scared of satellite as my dad has hughes net and its kinda awful and very expensive..

34. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's not the DSL that is the problem. More likely they don't have sufficient backhaul from the CO. DSL lines are not shared but do suffer bandwidth limitations from distance or deteriorations of the line.

GoodPhotos likes this.