REVIEW: Varta Outdoor Sports Flashlight

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by BushcrafterAU, Jun 11, 2018.

1. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    E8D638E0-81E3-42F4-8294-D88CC770885E.jpeg REVIEW: VARTA Outdoor Sports LED Flashlight 5w 3x AAA

DISCLAIMER: This flashlight was not provided by the manufacturer for the review.

SPECS:

• High- 235 Lumens 2 Hour runtime
    • Low - 60 Lumens 35 Hour runtime
    • Body - Aircraft Anodized Aluminum
    • Grip - Rubber
    • Impact Resistance - 2 metres
    • Water Resistance - IPX-4
    • LED - 5w Cree Xlamp XP-G2
    • 3 Year Guarantee
    • Photo luminescent material on head (Angel Eye Glow-in-the-dark)
    • Batteries: Alkaline AAA included
    • Country Of Origin- China
    • Price - $27.00 AUD

DESCRIPTION (As on packaging)

Extremely robust and water resistant flashlight with rubber head/tail cap as well as impact resistant internal engineering. The body is made of high grade aircraft aluminum for maximum durability, comfortably rubber grip handle and has a photo luminescent material on the head rubber (“Angel Eye” glow-in-the-dark). High performance LED with custom optics and 2 modes: 235 Lumens and 60 Lumens (energy saving mode). IPX-4 water resistant.

REVIEW:

So, I purchased another Varta flashlight. For budget, high quality lights, I am yet to see a better brand. For only $27.00, this light boasts a Cree XP-G2 LED (interestingly, this is the same LED found on several Fenix and LED Lenser flashlights). Not only that, it has a 235 lumen high, and a 60 lumen power saving mode that can run for 35 hours. It also has an orange rubber grip, which I was glad to see could be removed if you prefer plain aluminium. Another nice feature is the photo luminescent material on the head. Turning the light on for 5 minutes will cause it to glow all night. This is a good idea for a everyday light, but not good for a tactical light. I have tested this light’s beam length to 100 metres, although the manufacturer claims it is ‘up to 151 metres.’ The beam has a bright hotspot in the middle, and a flood beam around the edge. This is very handy as you can illuminate far ahead of you as well as where you step at the same time.

For those who don’t know, VARTA-CONSUMER is a leading German battery manufacturer, who also produces high quality lights.

Pros:

Solid feel, high quality Cree LED, removable rubber grip.

Cons:

I would prefer being able to choose the colour of the grip (very minor gripe of course!). I would also prefer a glass lens as it would be more scratch resistant and durable.

The VERDICT:

Fantastic light for the money, good quality, innovative design. I think of it as being in a similar category to the LED Lenser P5.2. Both are German designed and made in China, both have a similar Led light chip, both are IPX4 rated. Both are around 200 lumens. The main difference is in the price... $70 (LED Lenser) vs $28 (Varta).

4 stars out of 5.

Thanks for reading!

-BushcrafterAU

seasonofthewoods likes this.
  2. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where did you order from in the us???

3. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in Australia. So, I just purchased it from Bunnings Warehouse. In the US you can get it from Amazon or eBay.