Rigid Bow Saw Questions

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by lilblade25, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lilblade25

lilblade25 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone!

I have a few newbie questions. I have this bow saw at home. The blade is about 18" long. Obviously, its rigid, so it can't really fold down. I mean, the blade is removable, technically, but thats it. Just wondering if any of you carry something like this regularly into the bush? If you do, how does it do you? Is it a viable tool to carry into the bush considering its bulk? I would also like to know, if you do carry something like this, how you pack it. Do you just shove it into your pack? Do you position it in some sort of way that is most efficient? Or do you just strap it to the outside of your pack? (Pics would be cool, but if it's too much of a hassle, thats fine :) )
    I guess even if you don't or have never carried a bow saw like this one, I'd love to hear your input on the questions asked above.
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of folding pruning saws. There are folding versions of those as well. The choice between the two. Would be best made on what you intend to cut. A bow saw with a bigger blade is a work saver. But it's bulkier to get to camp. 6-8 inch softwood trunks stand no chance against the folding saw. If I was going bigger, bow or chainsaw. Corona and silky are the two favorite brands I've found here. I have a triple blade mossy oak brand. It's a good saw not as tough as others. But the extra two blades fine tooth wood and hack saw. Were the the selling point for me.
    Cheers Jim

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We keep one stashed at deer camp.
    I use a folding Corona saw when on the move.

4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  5. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  6. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would imagine that you could pretty easily stow one along the back of your pack assuming it has a frame of some sort on the inside. The biggest challenge would be covering up the blade either on or off the frame to ensure that it doesn't damage your pack or it's contents. Probably weighs about the same as the more expensive folding conterparts as well. I never got why folks who like saws didn't use these more often.

7. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have several but for the pack I carry a blade rolled in my cooking pot. That way if the time it takes to find a handle and fashion it to fit ,there is work it is best at I can accomplish. it's not a wasted effort .
    However if the job needs to be swift, a hatchet, or Bowie will do in a moment, I save the effort. I also have a pruning saw inside the handle of my shovel, which can also be attached to my walking staff for reaching branches out of normal reach.

8. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Most new bow saw blades have a plastic edge protector. Save it and use a few wraps of duct tape to hold it secure. I use one like yours around here, but mine doesn’t hold tension on the blade very well and gets sloppy after a few cuts. I find it cuts at more of an angle than straight across.
    If you are cutting stuff for firewood a folding saw does well. Walmart sells a Fiskars folding saw for about $7-$10 and is actually cheaper than a bow saw.
    They’re also selling the chainsaw in a can type saws in the camping section. It looks like a chainsaw chain in a Skoal can. I found one in a truck I bought, but haven’t used it to see how well it works.

9. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    if the blade is protected, just lash it to the outside of your pack. it's not very big or heavy but it will work circles around those folding pocket saws. this juice is worth the squeeze...

10. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This What I was going to suggest look into.

I used to carry a saw just like that on my overnighters. They are great for processing wood for the fire. I just lashed mine to my fishing bag with some rope. I didn’t find it to be that cumbersome to carry its bulky but not heavy which is a bigger problem in my eyes. My gear was pretty minimal in those days I brought a blue tarp, a blanket, a pocket knife, my fishing stuff, a pack of hotdogs, and that saw. I would wrap the tarp around the blanket and sleep right on the ground. Everything other than my fishing poles would be carried in or lashed to a canvas paper boy bag that was my grandpa’s fishing bag. I think we tend to over complicate things and get obsessed with “gear.” That saw will work great get out and use it.
    4D4DBB9E-1CD5-4A65-9EFC-57EA081BEB06.jpeg
    A9C605AA-62A4-4EF1-B345-36461E35ED32.jpeg

atlastrekker and lilblade25 like this.
  11. lilblade25

lilblade25 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your responses!
    Yeah I was wondering these things because I am on a tight budget and I don't have the money right now to buy another saw, and this is what I have. I just tried to store the blade between two pieces of cardboard taped shut. That should do it for now I think. Otherwise, I hear that a blade guard can be made from PVC pipe..? Also, the particular one that I have is old and the pins are rusty which makes the locking mechanism wobbly, so I might have to replace the bow saw just for safety reasons.. :(

I'll check these out to see if I can find them because that's cheap! Thanks!

And yeah, I noticed this too with trying to cut through wood. I was thinking that it might be because there wasn't enough tension on the blade or something.

I have not yet watched the bushclass video, but one speculation that I have is that bow saws made in the field can't provide enough tension on the blade to be effective. I'm could be wrong, but it's just my own doubts that a DIY bow saw could not have the same cutting capabilities as a metal one. Then again, given the location where I'm at, I can't be doing that heavy of saw work due to Leave No Trace laws and stuff, so maybe a DIY bow saw would be enough.

Yes, This is the ideal type of saw that I will want in my Bushcraft future kit if and when I have the money to buy one!

12. dirt7

dirt7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one that I will carry camping, I typically leave it at home when backpacking though, I found a pool noodle sliced down one edge (Think of making a c with it) covers up the blade well and stays pretty well put.

13. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @lilblade25 I have the AC Boreal 21 and it's awesome. A bit pricey but worth it IMO. There's also the SVEN saw which is a bit cheaper but packs down just as small as the AC.

https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=Sven+saw

I used to use the Bahco Laplander but the small blade size means lots of strokes. Silky has some folders that are pretty big but I've never used them.

If you end up keeping yours I would find a way to wrap the blade and just strap it to a convenient place on your pack.

14. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    they cut at an angle because the blade is crap. I replaced a hardware store bow saw blade with a Bahco blade and it cut straight and well -- https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-23-21-...pID=213xKmkWPXL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

15. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  16. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of bow saws. I like folding saws too and I have several of both. To me the folding saws are a tool of convenience, bow saws are tools to do real work. Bow saws can be a little bulky but they're really lightweight so it's just a matter of strapping one to the outside of your pack. The 12" bow saws will even fit under the flap and straps of a haversack. Of course I don't always carry a bow saw around, but they're hard to beat when you want to cut a bunch of wood.

lilblade25 likes this.
  17. flip888

flip888 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just got an old 36" Craftsman bowsaw at a yard sale with a sharp dry wood blade for $5. I feel like I can almost keep up with a chainsaw with it (I know a chainsaw is much faster than any bowsaw). That's hard to say about a folding saw.

For hiking I have a 18" bowsaw that works ok. It is bulky and cuts crooked like the one the other poster mentioned before, but it does ok.
    I'd MUCH rather have one of the Japanese impulse hardened fixed blade pruning saws with aggressive teeth like the arborists around here use. They really cut like a chainsaw.

18. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Before I ended up with a take down buck saw I used the same saw that you have. What I did was hang it on the outside of my pack, but I was thinking about doing something else. Excuse my art work.
    2018-05-21 05.58.08.jpg

If you cut the handle in half where I have the arrow, then drill a hole on either side of the cut. Find a piece of conduit or pipe that slips inside and a couple of hitch pins and now you have a saw that is much more compact. Pull a pin, remove the blade and roll it up into a cup or something and you are good to go.

I also second getting a bahco replacement blade.

AK Adventurer and lilblade25 like this.
  19. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    ya know, I tried that roll up a buck saw blade and carry it in your cooking pot trick. it was always tricky to get it in there but I kept at it until one day when I went to take it out and it unwound by itself and ripped the heck out of my pot and my shirt sleeve.

I got a nick on my thumb knuckle and across my wrist but I'm lucky I didn't get cut worse. much worse...

not something I want to have happen any time but when I'm in the woods would be terrible...

lilblade25 and atlastrekker like this.
  20. Djektd

Djektd Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    lilblade25 likes this.
  21. Jbradshaw

Jbradshaw Scout

Blog Posts:
    Use what you have. Cover the blade and lash it to your pack. That saw will work just fine. We all get way too concerned with kit/stuff. (Myself included )

Young Blacksmith and lilblade25 like this.