Rock Hominy/ Pinole

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by BlueDogScout, Aug 17, 2019.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My goal for this lost is to discuss the technique for producing rock hominy or Pinole and recipes to use it in.

So I recently tried out audible per my buddy marks advice and I started with the Frontiersman... the main character Simon Kenton was captured by the Shawnee. During this ordeal he was fed a meal of corn mush mixed with fresh berries and beef jerky. (The word used by the Indians was dog meat but it was dried) The book made the concoction sound fantastic. Suddenly I remember Nessmuk and Kephart, and countless others that mention the native Americans use of rock hominy which I take as the same base corn mush from the book. Many people have recipes but most are the same. Dried corn is toasted and ground. I figure corn meal or grits or corn flour would be the same thing but my google skills seem to say this is a different beast. It is similar to what Mexican vaqueros called Pinole, used in the same way, simple meals for long lasting energy in the field.. So I tried making some. It is tasty and interesting. More research is needed...

I started with dried cracked corn, not whole kernel corn but I don’t care... (get it??)

F4551C56-9C65-406F-9077-13944A790E54.jpeg

Next was toasting in my skillet...

9513B7F9-B719-4EBE-A0E7-0E1E12C5443D.jpeg

32C28864-DCDF-4DD9-8EEB-42181CA963FF.jpeg

When done I dumped it out to dry...

6F57C2C7-2E93-431C-82C2-E27CEF77622A.jpeg

Then to the mortar and pestle...

587181A3-CB9F-457A-B065-98D1C7A1CA9D.jpeg

After grinding...

4CC4180F-838A-40BB-ABBE-6F05BF911EE3.jpeg

062A9D34-D42F-4135-9B9A-259A5A391859.jpeg

Added salt and boiling water...

63BE2C3D-D5DB-4947-BC3C-A153DF369050.jpeg

Needs a finer grind so I think a coffee grinder is up next... I also hear soaking in water and wood ash to crack it open is a good think to go before drying...

Any input is welcome and pictures are encouraged! Thanks

Zornt likes this.
  2. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gray One is a a thread on making parched corn somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.
    I have read that it was carried dry sometimes ground or left whole.
    It was then made into a mush or just eaten dry with some water to drink.
    I believe the is mention of this in stories about Rogers Rangers.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  3. kelpie13

kelpie13 Scout

Blog Posts:
  4. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    I’ll check out the Rogers rangers. I didn’t see a thread just on the rock hominy specifically.

Thank you

Zornt and kelpie13 like this.
  5. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    IIRC, the difference between rockahominy/pinole corn and what we know as hominy corn, is that the latter has been nixtamalized, or soaked in a lye solution, prior to any further processing. This process changes the corn somewhat, breaking down the hull (making cracking it difficult) as well as breaking down some of the makeup of the endosperm, making it more nutritionally accessible. Traditionally I believe this was done with a wood ash solution. I believe commercially prepared corn nuts is from nixtamalized or hominy corn, however cornmeal generally is made from untreated corn, and that this is the difference between grits and hominy grits. Masa flour is made from treated corn, and for some reason I feel like this makes the difference between corn chips and tortilla chips.

I seem to remember that one can make rockahominy from any type of corn except popcorn, as it doesn't crack so much as, well, you know....

For the record, I don't come from a corn-primary area, and hominy, grits and the like are still new to me, most of what I know I've gleaned from the internet and Kephart's book, in the interest of trying rockahominy.

By the way, if anyone has a line on sourcing dried whole untreated corn for rockahominy, I'd love to know about it.

OrienM, Zornt and BlueDogScout like this.
  6. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. You are spot on. Great video link as well I have watched those prior to my attempt. My GF works for a corn mill and can get small qtys of any form of corn. If you are interested I can try to get some.

Zornt likes this.
  8. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I will pass on this word of "be careful" with putting dried corn into an electric coffee grinder with a plastic top. I was doing that years ago and figured out the corn was so hard and abrasive it was taking micro bits of plastic off of the inside of the top. Use a Corona food mill or a hollow stump and post.

9. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks

Zornt likes this.
  10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Scout

Blog Posts:
    BlueDogScout and Zornt like this.
  11. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Mjolnir likes this.
  12. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm trying to source out a locally accessible outlet I can tap repetitively if necessary, I wouldn't want to be a drag on you or your lady friend. Thanks in any case.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  13. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    No worries

14. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So after reading through this thread, I made some Pinolillio, the corn and chocolate-based drink.

First, I used this general recipe: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/drink/other-drink/corn-and-chocolate-drink-pinolillo.html. Two cups milk, two cups water, 1/4 cup cornmeal (toasted in a pan first) 1/4 cup bitter cocoa powder, 3ish spoons brown sugar, some cinnamon.) However, i did as suggested, substituting coffee for water and drinking it hot, not iced. I didn't want to mess with a blender so it was easier to mix up hot.
    It went well with pancakes in for breakfast. it tasted mostly of chocolate and cinnamon. Aside from the cinnamon it was similar to a cafe mocha from a coffee shop. I can't say whether the corn made a difference, because it had settled to the bottom.

Second batch, that afternoon, I adjusted a bit. 1/4 cup cornmeal toasted like before, 1 and 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 or 3 tablespoons instant espresso coffee, 1/4 cup cocoa, brown sugar, and a lighter amount of cinnamon. Similar recipe overall, but twice as strong (2 cups liquid, rather than 4 cups.)
    15 minutes or so later, WOW. I felt like I had just had a big stimulant. I was sweating in a room that was 70 degrees, and I could feel my heart beat. I drink coffee regularly, but this was intense and very unexpected.
    I don't know if this is normal for pinolillio with some coffee added, but I figured others might be interested.
    -Jon

Big ian likes this.