Rough Rider Loveless Inspired Drop Point

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by roadend, Nov 1, 2018.

1. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love the styling of a Bob Loveless drop point hunter. The proportions, materials and design are amazing. The only problem is the price of one. You can get a Bark River for about an eighth of the price. Also I am not a big hunter/skinner. Just a bushcrafter/wanderer. I was looking for a cheaper option to beat up in bushcraft use. In looking I found the Rough Rider Drop Point Hunter (RR176-BRK).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSG3BQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

I have not seen much about this knife here but for around $15 I decided to take the chance. I was impressed. Out of the box it looked right. I do not care for the nylon sheath but that is easily remedied with a leather sheath I had laying around. There was a good burr on the edge as well. After a little stropping the knife is razor sharp. The spine was square but I refined it a bit more. The fit was what you would expect for a knife this cheap. The strength and performance were above par though. I was headed to the woods with friends and packed it along to use in more bushcraft ways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little gaping around the guard. Cannot tell from the photos but the pins need a little grinding as they stand proud of the scales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cont.

2. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Does it make feathers? You bet.

[​IMG]IMG_7852

Baton? Yep
    [​IMG]IMG_7851

Still make feathers? Of course. Make sparks with fire steel? Yes. (sorry no photo of it though.
    [​IMG]IMG_7842

Help with dinner prep? Check. Look pretty? I think so.
    [​IMG]IMG_7819

For my limited time available to wander and play in the woods this knife is exactly what I was looking for. Time will tell for sure on how long and how much abuse it will take.

3. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I own 3 Rough Rider folders and all seems to be exceptional quality for their price. I have been curious as to the quality of their fixed blades so I found your review interesting. They seems to make decent looking knives that perform very well at budget prices.

4. 19112TAP

19112TAP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always wrote them off but came into a folder a few weeks ago and can say for the price they are pretty good I have to say holds an edge better than expected, I still don't like the fact it was made in China but in this day and age it's hard to find things that aren't made there.

freebirdfb, MrFixIt and roadend like this.
  5. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good lookin' knife for the price.

Nakadnu and freebirdfb like this.
  6. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Heck, for $15 you could re-handle it yourself to improve the fit and finish and still be money ahead. Really curious as to what the steel is.

blind & lost, roadend and freebirdfb like this.
  7. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the write up. I was interested in this very knife but wanted to hear something about other than ad copy. I appreciate the pics showing the fit and finish of a random sample. Thanks.

roadend and freebirdfb like this.
  8. MASC1104

MASC1104 Old Dominion Resident Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    Thanks for the write up. I have several RR folders and they very good for the price. I have a few of their fixed blades I have my eye on but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

blind & lost likes this.