rowing instead of paddling

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by huntinhick, Apr 30, 2011.

1. huntinhick

huntinhick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    hello all,

I have been paddling my ocean kayak Malibu II for the last 3 years for fishing and playing. I was going to pick up a couple canoes to take my kids and wife out in but lately I have been thinking about a dory like the wineglass wherry from pygmy kayaks or the n'eastern dory form clc boats. they seem like a nice non-power option that has most of the canoe benefits plus extra stability and size. both of the dory's can be rowed solo or double. I would love to load my gear up and head to the primitive side of lake Chelan or Roosevelt lake up here in Washington. what do you all think is is a good option or should I just stick to the canoe idea? I would be using the boats to take my boys fishing and the family just out on the water mostly used in lakes or the sound.

carl

2. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I love Dories myself!

They are fantasticly stable, a lot of fun, and was one of the first boats I was allowed to leave the shore by myself in - think like 4 or something...the worst thing that could have happened was an adult would have had to swim out to get me, but they kept me close I'm sure.

The only reason I'm sure this happened is I saw it happen as I got older and with younger cousins...and the comments of the other adults and a few pictures of me on Lake Seneca off G-ma's beach.

They handle waves really well - that's why they are so popular in the windier climes. A nice short/wide dory with 3 seats gives a lot of room for folks to spread out! :)

the only downside is there's no way to portage them of course...and you'd want to trailer if you didn't have any lakefront place to keep it - but the are NICE (to me)

3. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    look up "Adirondack Guide Boat". they're a less than perfect solution, but were very popular among (wait for it!) Adirondack guides during the 19th/early 20th centuries... before motors. essentially, a rowable canoe, but wider and heavier. but not quite the ocean dory kind of heavy.

4. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I LOVE dories, and rowing. It's in my blood my dad being a New England yankee who settled in the islands after the war (WWII) so I don't remember a time not having a dory in the family while growing up. I currently own two rowing dories one which I added a motor well to for days when my bum back flares up. I also got a sliding seat rowing frame for my canoe which works real well. I like to row in the open Pacific ocean dragging a line to catch dinner. I paddle and kayak too but rowing my preferred method of human power. I'll always recommend a good rowing dory to anyone.

Rowing my canoe
    [​IMG]

Dory Fishing Success
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. Sealegs

Sealegs Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guess what we have here is close, a klinkbuild rowboat.
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eka

I still have the one my grandfather built. I'll build a new one with my kids and my pa in a few years. Hewing and drying the planks bit by bit takes a few years instead of working my ass of like he did.

Kayaks and canoes are a modern thing here. Everyone has a row boat though. Plastic ones, sadly, are going strong these days.

"If ye can't even row, what manner of sailor are ye?!" -Pa at his finest.

6. Fishrarr

Fishrarr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have four Sportspal canoes all different models, so I can choose the right one for the job at hand. They are light to pack the heaviest is 45 pounds, i can easily get it on top of my truck, sometimes two at a time. They come with oar locks, and movable seats. You can row, paddle, sail, or put a motor on most of them. They are also wide so they work well with my grandkids. Not great for running rivers, and do not have a lot of speed, but for lakes and a bit of wind that may come up, I have been very happy with them. Tom.