Roycroft Ski Shoe

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by chekmate, Jan 29, 2018.

1. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've wanted to do this for a couple of years. It was snowing and blowing this past Saturday. So it was the perfect time to give the Roycroft Ski Shoe a try. I didn't want to use spruce saplings, I just don't have that many 7 footers. So I tried willow and it worked. I made the first pair for myself with paracord. The problem I found was the paracord knots slipping.
    My Roycroft Ski Shoes 2.jpg

I made the second pair for the kids using bankline. It worked way better!

Kids Roycroft Ski Shoes.jpg

I tried them out on Sunday with 2 inches of fresh snow and they worked very well. I plan on giving them a try this coming weekend in the bush where there is a lot more snow.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

2. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    looks awesome! I made a pair up at Karamat with Mors K. and Kelly Harleton. A Fix to your paracord slipping on the feet board is they just nail it together. Some people called it cheating, but if your caring paracord then whats the difference in caring nails?

Also for the bindings, you can use a piece of cycle inner tube and just make a toe loop from rope. slip your toe into the fixed loop, and put the inner tube on your heel and over your toe so it applies pressure on the loop. It will never come loose and its a tight fit without having to adjust the bindings.

rsnurkle, miwok, ArmyMacE and 4 others like this.
  3. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite projects ive ever done i think!

P2250712.JPG

4. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! PeterM,

Those are some good suggestions. Didn't have any small nails. I always carry bankline anyway. It worked great!

Now I gotta finds some bike tire inner tubes.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

5. LarryB

LarryB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, those turned out great dude! Nice work using Willow and Bankline is the way to go for sure. Thanx for sharing your skills buddy. :) lb

chekmate likes this.
  6. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    I took my son out this past weekend to try our Roycroft Skie Shoes in the woods. The snow was about 16" deep. The Roycroft Skie Shoes work well. Mostly for my 250 lb frame. Here are some pictures of my son and his Ski Shoes.
    Jonathan Ski Shoes.jpg

Jonathan Ski Shoes 1.jpg

Jonathan Ski Shoes 2.jpg
    Jonathan Ski Shoes 3.jpg

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

7. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those are great. I started watching the Karamat bushcraft channel and saw those. First time I'd seen them before.

rsnurkle likes this.
  8. Peter M

Blog Posts:
    Yeah the great part about them is they can be made in a day! with the bear paw style and raw hide, it takes days if not weeks. So if you are out in the bush and break a bear paw snow shoe, this will get you out of there! and i actually turned my upside down and used it with spruce boughs on a raised bed and slept on it!

Im really happy to see @chekmate making a couple sets and sharing on the forum because its not a well known thing!

actichy and rsnurkle like this.
  9. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey! Peter M,

I just finished another pair for my daughter. This time I used spruce. Way easier to make with the spruce from peeling to straightness. I was able to make this pair in 5 hours. They turned out so well I'm gonna make another pair for myself. Can see why Roycroft and Mors used spruce.

You posted previously about using cycle inner tube. What knot do you use to tie the inner tube to the ski shoes? Thanks

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

Peter M, Redwalker and rsnurkle like this.
  10. yooper71

yooper71 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If I came across those tracks in the woods, it would have given me a head scratcher. I was not familiar with the ski shoe.

Good job, thanks for posting.

Peter M and rsnurkle like this.
  11. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey! Yooper71,

Yes! They give completely different track in the snow. I see the snowshoes in your profile. You should give the Roycroft Ski Shoes a try. I used them a week ago in the woods and they work very well. I'll be using them again this coming weekend for a long trip in the woods.

As I stated in my previous post. The spruce works way better than the willow for ease of building. Though the willow works also and is easy to acquire.

I'm also going to try to try bicycle inner tubes for bindings. Here's the link to how to do this.
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=q_...=bicycle inner tube snowshoe bindings&f=false

Here are pictures of both the willow and spruce Ski Shoes.

Willow:
    Kids Roycroft Ski Shoes.jpg

Spruce
    20180212_073247.jpg

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

12. yooper71

yooper71 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They look great! I also saved the link for the bindings and will have to check out later.

Unfortunately I have not been able to use my shoes this season. We are light on snow here this winter. I have made several trips north to Michigan, but they have been quick trips spent in HS gymnasiums. Lol

13. Peter M

Blog Posts:
    Yeah that spruce sure looks nice!
    And that book showing the binding looks great! I just tied mine with a water knot? Like a overhand follow through. And then I had a fixed loop of normal cordage for the toe. And would slip the tire tube over the heel and under the toe if that makes since. But that system looks what better in the book haha.

Winterhorse likes this.
  14. chekmate

chekmate Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! Yooper71. You just need to bring your shoes when you head north. Nothing better than a walk in the snow a minus 20 to make you feel alive. :D

Peter M, I know the spruce was way better to work with! Now I just need to find bike inner tubes in the middle of winter. Amazon here I come. :dblthumb:

I put my 6-foot willow Ski Shoes on the scale just to see. The pair with lampwick bindings came in at 5 lbs 7 oz (2.46 kg). The "Ranger" insulated winter boots I wear come in at 7 lbs 14 oz (3.57 kg). Looking the hightec 36" snowshoes that hold my weight with gear are coming in at 4 lbs 11 oz (2.13 kg). The 56" Alaskan's without bindings are coming in at 5 lbs 2oz (2.32 kg). So, the willow Roycroft Ski Shoes are close.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

Peter M and Winterhorse like this.
  15. Peter M

Blog Posts:
    wow thats really impressive. Nice research experiment! The spruce are heavy green and take at least a good week to dry, keep me updated on the spruce weight.