Ruger Mini 14 / 30 - Info Thread

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Medic17, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am looking for info on the Mini 14 / 30 Rifles.

What can you guys tell me about them?
    Good / Bad ?
    Suggestions, Tips, or Tricks?

Which ones to stay away from?

Thanks

Ill get this out of the way now...
    "Get a AR" - is not a option.

jstert, Sandcut, Paulyseggs and 3 others like this.
  2. Royal Wulff

Royal Wulff Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a buddy to had an old Mini 14 and the accuracy was pretty poor no matter what he did. He sold it off. The newer one's may be better.

3. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the look, but their was alot of issues with accuracy. May be better now.

4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had both.
    Gritty triggers, poor accuracy.
    Nice look and easy to handle, proven action, reliable.
    Can be accurized down to 1" at 50yds. Don't expect more.

5. smokee

smokee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One of our 3gun shooters uses Mini's, a 14 and a 30. He is a many years retired 26yr USMC officer vet and used M-14's so has an affinity for the Mini.
    He is a very good shot, and the Mini's are sufficiently accurate for steel plate hits and the occasional paper accuracy target. Neither is as accurate as an AR, however.
    Two things strike me after watching him for years. They are not as reliable as the average AR and I believe this is more a magazine and ammo issue. Ruger factory mags seem to work best. Steel .223 ammo is problematic sometimes, but IIRC 7.62x39 steel runs better in the 30. Clearing a malfunction seems quick and easy as long as it's not a stuck case rim tear malfunction, which will stop most anything.

Medic17, actichy, Paulyseggs and 2 others like this.
  6. urazmusbdragn2

urazmusbdragn2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mag issues are a problem with A/M mags. Decades ago there were some good ones but not now. Stick to factory mags.

Accuracy is hit and miss from input I've read. Never fired mine enough to say it was bad, seems at least decent. Older 180's series in stainless.

Medic17, Paulyseggs and freebirdfb like this.
  7. kelpie13

kelpie13 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So I expect this thread should draw some good exchanges.

I myself love the mini-14 (particularly the Ranch Rifle) and have owned a handful and still do. Yes they may not be sub MOA out of the box and it may take a bit of tuning and $$ to get there but they are solid shooters for what they were intended. Having shot an M14 in the Navy it was a natural for me but truth be told I shot one well before that era of my life. They shoot solidly with no jamming or FTF's and when maintained appropriately are as reliable as a wheel gun. Used to be you could pick one up at a local gun show for $400-$500 in really good shape because the black rifles were all the rage. I love my ranch rifle and mostly only shoot it mindfully with a 5 round mag. Used to have about 2 or 3 in my collection because I always seemed to be picking one up at a show that needed restoring/rescuing. Down to one favorite RR that I have had forever but still keep my eye out for another project. Whenever I see one (not an AR look a like version) it takes me back to the days when gun shows didn't have a political message every other table and the sight of a ranch rifle in a truck rack was as a daily occurrence.

Lots of good articles out there and books (the older ones the best in my opinion but thats just me). Lots of good articles written on the .223 vs 5.56 and barrel twist performance related to this fine rifle started early debates well before you could pick up AR furniture from a thousand different vendors. You may have already read the article below but the most of the articles I refer to were in older mags like G&A or Rifle Sporting Arms. Good luck on your search and if you have particular questions about them I'm sure there are many others on this page that can answer or point you in the right direction.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/3/22/five-reasons-to-reconsider-the-ruger-mini-14/

jstert, AB McLeod, actichy and 6 others like this.
  8. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like mine. There are more accurate rifles, but they are fairly simple, reliable (with good / factory magazines) and handy. Nowadays there are ARs that are cheaper, but if you want a wooden stock that isn't much of a selling point.

9. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wish the price would come down. I like them. If used within its intended capabilities, it is accurate enough and very reliable. I like the Ranch Rifle. 5 and ten round mags for me.

10. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good rifles, accuracy can be improved considerably with a forearm mod.
    Accuracy for single shot from cold barrel is very good. As barrel heats up from multiple shots groups spread. For a hunting rifle this is no problem. For a target rifle or plinker it can be irritating.

11. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The consensus is that the newer ones made in the last few years are more accurate due to a redesign. I think the serial number is 582 and newer. Don’t quote me. I believe mine is a 583. These newer ones have thicker barrels that taper. Never shot or handled an older one so can’t compare. I like mine. I had a 2x7 scope on it for a bit and it seemed to group nicely from the bench with good ammo. I’ve since removed the scope and went with an upgraded ghost ring sight on the rear. I have a thing for carbines so I enjoy it. I’ve never shot an AR so I’ll throw that out there. Reminds me its been a long time since I’ve been to the range.

Medic17 and freebirdfb like this.
  12. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think the A-team was an accurate representation of how accurate they are, they missed everything except tires lol, minute of tire accurate lol.

13. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    I would be okay with a 2 MOA rifle.
    10 Round Factory Mags

With that for parameters - How is it looking?

I am thinking a current production rifle that filled the roll (expectations) of a SKS / M1 Carbine.

Paulyseggs and freebirdfb like this.
  14. logan-boone

logan-boone Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had a mini-14 Ranch rifle for A while, picked up used. The rear sight was a flip deal that was pretty flimsy, broke one. It was held in by hex bolt that I learned would loosen after 40 or so rounds. After I figured that stuff out I actually really liked it. I would shoot clay pigeons set up on a berm and could hit them easily at 100 yards, even after the barrel started getting "hot"(I don't think I ever shot more than 60 rounds in a session). Sold it off for propane one especially cold winter, still miss it.

Medic17, Paulyseggs and freebirdfb like this.
  15. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    There you go. That is the exact same niche I see it filling. A little better than both.

16. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    What I have read is that the new tapered barrel guns start somewhere in the 582 series. So you can't assume that a 582 has the heavier barrel without seeing it. The consensus is that the 582 (+) guns are more accurate and string less, in stock form.

There have been several reliable tricks developed to help accuracy. The cheapest is to simply reduce the size of the gas bushing. The gun is overgassed in stock form and tends to send brass into the next zip code. Reducing the gas pulse also reduces the vibration that effects accuracy. Adding a shock buffer also helps the same way.

Oh - maybe that's not the cheapest. A particular sample might benefit from truing up the gas block - which would be part of your installation of the smaller bushing...or you could just do that for starters. It's not uncommon for the gas bushing to be unevenly torqued and/or gapped, and that effects accuracy. That's a freebie, if you already have an inch lb torque driver and feeler gauges.

Then there's the $6 sear spring swap that reduces the heavy gritty trigger pull. That should theoretically help accuracy, but I haven't verified that yet since I added mine just recently.

Bedding the stock can help with many of them. It did with mine. It's not as simple as bedding a bolt rifle, but worth the effort, IMO.

Getting into bigger expense.....A lot of guys are having good success in bringing groups down by adding a strut, or an aluminum handguard/rail, or both. I haven't seen the need for either, in my case - although I haven't ruled them out. The rail will probably come, as it makes an excellent low-profile platform for forward mounted optics.

I've only reduced the gas impulse, bedded the stock, and added a recoil buffer (and changed the sear spring, as yet not tested), and I'm getting consistent sub-2moa groups with decent ammo in my 583. Reliability has never been an issue.

Some guys are getting good results with the earlier series as well (with all the tricks employed), but the earliest guns don't have a good way to mount an optical sight, if that matters to you. Anything that says "Ranch Rifle" will be tapped for a scope mount - but adding the pic rail kind of makes that moot.

As far as I can tell, the recoil system pretty much ensures that it will never match the best AR's for accuracy, but for a defensive carbine or medium range medium game gun, it is accurate enough - if properly set up. Overpriced in today's market, if buying new. Only factory mags have a reputation for reliability at this time, and they are comparatively expensive (I find them on sale from time to time). Maybe the price is not relevant in states where the AR is banned. I prefer the platform over an AR for my use. It doesn't need much care for reliability. Operation and maintenance are simple. Size-wise, in between the M14 and M1 Carbine....very handy.

17. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah....There is reportedly an issue with the cheapest steel-cased ammo. I haven't used the stuff, so I can only repeat what I've heard. IIRC, there are frequent misfires with that ammo, supposedly due to the firing pin being a bit short for reliable ignition. There is an aftermarket firing pin option that is said to fix that. I've never heard of there being any such issue with brass case ammo.

freebirdfb and Medic17 like this.
  18. AlexD

AlexD Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a new version stainless synthetic Mini 14 .223 about 4 years ago. I tried all types of ammo up to Federal Premium, etc. the best shot 2-2.5” 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The worst was 5+”. All brass, no steel case ammo. With ruger mags it cycled flawlessly. I really liked the rifle but lack of accuracy (for me personally) and throwing brass 15+ feet making it hard to retrieve led me to sell it off. I replaced it with an Ares SCR NY compliant (non registered) unique style AR and have never looked back. Accuracy is under 1” with multiple quality factory loads and Federal FMJ bought by the case shoot under 1.5”. Over 1,000 rounds thru it and zero failures to eject or fire. Again no steel case ammo or junk.

Good luck with your search.

Alex

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    freebirdfb and FreeMe like this.
  19. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For what it’s worth:
    First off I am quite partial to the M14 and 1911. Second, I have enough experience too know there are better platforms available in both rifles and pistols for their intended purposes.
    In regard to the minis,
    I have sighted-in literally hundreds of minis, and have fired countless thousands of rounds through them over a 30 year period, the vast majority of them being GB models. Ruger changed the rate of twist two or three times during the years that I used them. Some were extremely accurate, some just the opposite. The majority were acceptable for their intended purpose. Magazines were not an issue as long as you ONLY utilized Ruger factory mags. No others were consistently reliable. If you go with the mini platform be sure to have a complete spare bolt and extra bolt components. Extractor and ejector failures are not uncommon. Also the bolt roller is known to fail. I have a series 181 that I purchased new from Bill Davis that has had thousands of rounds through it that is still running strong. The mini though not perfect is a solid weapon. Make no mistake, although similar in appearance this is a completely different weapon than an M14.
    Try as I did for years to dislike the AR platforms, over time they won me over. They truly are the “erector set” of rifle platforms.

NORKAL

drobs, Prairiewolf, Medic17 and 4 others like this.
  20. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tiaga & Tundra Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I previously owned a Mini 14 and currently own a Mini 30.

Ruger retooled their machinery about 5 or so years ago to help with the accuracy issue. Additionally, they started producing heavier barrels because the older ones got whippy, particularly when the barrel started heating up.

I personally dislike the older factory sights and replaced mine with Tech Sights. I don’t use a scope on my mini’s so can’t make any recommendations there. A barrel strut or stabilizer really tightens up the shot groups on an older minis with thinner barrels and even helps with heavier barrels.

Lastly, if you get a Mini 30, there are a few things to know. Use only Ruger factory magazines even if they are more expensive that other brands. Factory magazines are the only ones that feed reliably. Use brass cased, boxer primed ammo to get the most out of the rifle and to give you the option to reload the casings. Firing less expensive, steel cased, berdan primed ammo voids the Ruger factory warranty. You also cannot reload the steel casings easily. If you do feed your Mini 30 with steel cased ammo, be prepared to deal with a lot of misfires since the foreign-made ammo primers are harder and often at a different depth than the preferred brass cased ammo. Burdan primed ammo is corrosive in your barrels and the laquer on the steel cases will crap up your barrel quickly.

logan-boone and Medic17 like this.
  21. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I had one of the "tactical" mini 30s a few years back. I had wanted one for years and saved up to buy it. I didn't shoot more than 100 rounds top out of it with satisfactory results. Wife and I were going to go on a cruise, but needed new tires on her vehicle to drive from AR to Galveston. Goodbye mini 30, hello tires!

Cornhusker likes this.
  22. Muskeg_Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Factory mags, quality ammo

Medic17 and ozarkhunter like this.
  23. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've got one of the older models, a stainless 185, I believe from 1987.
    Now I don't shoot it a lot, but it's accurate enough for coyotes.
    I like it, it's a good looking rifle, wood stock and no pistol grip. (I get tired of clanking a pistol grip on everything.)
    Anyway, to each his own. I enjoy mine occasionally, and admire it once in a while. :50:

24. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I bought my stainless-steel Mini 30 back in 1999, serial # 189 - xxxxx, shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with quality brass ammo. Use it mainly for still hunting wild hogs and the majority of my shots are less than 50 yards.

In 2017 purchased the Ruger American Ranch Rifle (bolt-action) in 7.62x39; much more accurate hunting rifle and uses the exact same Ruger brand magazines as the Mini-30.

Medic17 and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  25. urazmusbdragn2

urazmusbdragn2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    IIRC the Ruger manual stated about 3MOA groups for expectations, for zeroing purposes. This was the 180 series rifles. It was conceived as a hunting & plinking rifle, nothing more.

At one time Ruger sold only 5 round mags to civilians, Bill Sr didn't seem to see a need for hi cap mags 30+ years ago. For hunting and informal shooting it's decent. If you want to shoot a case of ammo at a time through it you prolly won't be happy with it's long term accuracy.

Medic17 and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  26. Muskeg_Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Yep, my Mini 30 shoots minute of coyote. Lots of caribou taken up here with minis. I like having a quick handling, handy sized, straight stocked rifle around.

27. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I inherited an Mini-14. Old thin-barrel model.

It's kind of cool looking. Like if an M1 Garand and an AR had a love-child.

It doesn't shoot worth a hoot, though. My AKs are more accurate, no joke.

I'm also still sore about how Bill Ruger threw everyone under the bus in 1994, to protect the Mini-14 from the AWB. I still won't buy a Ruger of any type for that reason.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  28. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    About 25 years ago I bought a new Mini-14 stainless ranch rifle, it shot full choke patterns at 50 yards, modified at 100. This was before the internet & a few of the "mini-accuracy" specialty companies (most of which re-barrel at 3x the price of the rifle). I restocked it, re-scoped it, re-ringed it, trigger job etc... I did load development for a month. It was literally the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned. However, it was reliable, went bang every time the trigger was pulled, no ftf/fte issues. It just couldn't hit a barn door at 100 yards. IIRC, it was traded on a Savage 12 single-shot which I still have.

On the other hand, I have a friend that has the same version of the rifle I had, about the same vintage & he swears his will shoot 1.5" groups (I haven't physically witnessed it). I have witnessed another friend's Mini-30 that is very accurate even with the junk surplus steel-case ammo that Ruger doesn't recommend. I actually tossed around buying a Mini-30 tactical (ie: heavy barrel) for quite a while...Bought an M1A instead.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Gumbi likes this.
  29. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sold mine when I found out getting spare parts were a no go.. had to send the rifle in..don't know if it's still that way or not.

30. chesterpulley

chesterpulley Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a stainless Mini in the late 90's and it ran on any ammo, steel case or otherwise. I'd gotten a bunch of 223 from a guy who had it stored in full 30 rd AR mags that had evidently been loaded so long that the cases had all gotten squashed into a bit of an oval shape, it wouldn't even chamber in an AR anymore. Mini ate it all...

Mine would stay on a full size silhouette target at 200 yds all day, probably about 2 MOA.

31. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
  32. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've owned one, would own another, dad owns one.

The new ones have a larger barrel for rigidity. I like the "tactical" model with a shorter barrel.

Theres a forum called Perfect Union that had some really good information, and if you own a mini 14/30 or are considering it, its a good place.

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/#/forums/86?page=1

Personally I don't compare everything to an AR. The Mini a good reliable firearm, proven design, that puts rounds on target. Stick with factory mags and you'll be fine. There are upgrades that can be done, like any rifle, that improve accuracy.

If you like it, get one. I don't like the AR as much because the stock and grip, and I prefer, overall, the charging of this one over an AR.

I mentioned the other day that I I wouldn't mind having an AR with an ARES stock which makes it similar to the Minis stock and legal most places. But it ain't cheap! One day maybe.

33. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought mine from an acquaintence that needed money for medical bills and wouldn't let me help any other way financially. He was a good guy and passed shortly after.

I can't speak to MOA accuracies because I don't shoot that way off a bench. I just shoot. I'm not the greatest shot, but my Mini 14 is at least as accurate as I am shooting it. I can keep my grouping into an area the size of my palm and fingers at 50-80 yards, which is about as far as I can reliably shoot with open sights anyway. The minute of coyote assessment above was accurate.

I have an AR and, to be honest, I like the Ruger better. I just can't warm up to the AR. I may love Fiskars axes, but I can't stand plastic stocked rifles. Give me a wood stock.

If you overthink the Mini 14 and listen to all the potential shortfalls you won't buy one. If you want a reliable, fun carbine, you won't be disappointed. I personally feel that much of.the complaints about the gun, if it were transposed into backpacking terms, would be the equivalent of cutting off toothbrush handles to save weight. YMMV.

My Mini 14 in its natural habitat.

IMG_0432.jpeg

34. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    A newer threaded barrel model in 7.62x39, changed the twangy action spring for a Wolf spring, has a hogue over mold stock and scope base is a Weigand, only shoot steel case ammo, shoots quarter size groups at 100y and cycles fine. Cleaned and lubed.

Timex likes this.
  35. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This was my experience as well. 8 or 10 inch "groups" at 50 yards. It really soured my opinion of all Rugers for a long time and was easily my worst/most disappointing gun purchase.

tree-ratsniper likes this.
  36. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I place high value on bench accuracy.
    If a rifle isn't accurate under ideal conditions, how is that supposed to translate to field accuracy? If that Henry wasn't shooting good groups off the bench I doubt I would have hit that woodchuck I snuck up on.
    I do differentiate between a hunting rifle's accuracy and a target rifle's.

Putting that accurizer strut on my Mini-14 got the groups to sub 1" at 50yds for an eight shot string. And that's acceptable accuracy for a varmint rifle you don't expect to shoot much past 100-150yds. And we could only use semi's here in PA the last year anyway, so no practical experience before I got rid of mine.

I look at the Mini-14 as the modern man's varmint rifle as far as predators are concerned. Instead of grabbing a 30-30 out of your saddle's scabbard and slinging lead at a coyote watching your herd, you can grab the mini-14 out of your 4x4's scabbard.
    But if you can't shoot a sub 2-1/2" group off a bench at 100yds, a hit would most likely be luck.

IMO :)

37. RJM52

RJM52 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have owned two Mini30s... First one was a stock stainless/synthetic that about drove me nutz... Put a scope on the receiver and as the barrel warmed up the rounds would walk off the target toward the 10:00 o'clock position every time. And when the barrel cooled back down there was no guaranty that it would come back to the original zero. Was running about 4 moa....

Was about to sell it when I saw an add for the Ultimak scout scope mount. The mount replaces the upper handguard and U-clamps to the barrel and gas block. With a 4X Burris pistol scope on board and some different ammo, groups shrank to under 2 moa and there was no more walking off the target problem. Have since replaced the 4X with a Burris 2-7...really makes a big difference in long range accuracy.

The M14 has the same problem as the Minis. Put a scope on the receiver and as the barrel heats up there are too many contact points and although the receiver, mount and scope are still locked on the target the barrel begins to warp/shift against the contact points and takes a walk. The Ultimak mount eliminates all that as as the barrel shifts the scope and mount shift with it staying on target...

upload_2019-9-12_8-14-38.jpeg

100 yard group while zeroing rifle...
    upload_2019-9-12_8-16-5.jpeg

Three shots at 200 yards...

upload_2019-9-12_8-16-50.jpeg

10 rounds sitting with a sling after zeroed...dropped one shot down low...

upload_2019-9-12_8-17-51.jpeg

#2 Mini was originally stainless /wood but the previous own had put the gun in a Choate stock. The stock didn't contact the gasblock like the synthetic stock did on the other rifle and was a 2 moa shooter with a scope on the receiver...

upload_2019-9-12_8-20-4.jpeg

Would gladly pick up one of the new 16.5" heavy threaded barrel tacticals....

Magazines... Bought some 10 round aftermarket mags many years ago when I bought the rifle. They were satin nickel plated. Were not reliable at first but after a couple of months of leaving them loaded they all run 100% now... There is one sticking of the shooting bag in pic #1..

Bob

38. Timex

Blog Posts:
    Great description of this rifle. At the moment, I am without a mini 14. I have never shot a mini 30.

Muskeg_Stomper and Kona9 like this.
  39. Timex

Blog Posts:

Sandcut likes this.
  40. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    Okay from what I have been gathering...

-Get a Newer One, Tapered Barrel -284 or Later
    -Use only OEM Mags
    -No Steel Cased Ammo (Kinda Kills 7.62x39)

Muskeg_Stomper likes this.
  41. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Unless you live in an area that bans the AR, I'd recommend an ar over the mini every time.
    Better accuracy, better controls, better modularity, better prices for what you get, good quality mags are plentiful and cheap.

42. Medic17

Blog Posts:

Huey and Kona9 like this.
  43. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    have you looked into the SU-16? I don't know much about them, but I've heard some good things.

44. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    @Gumbi
    I have not.
    My experience with Keltec has not been the greatest.

I know a few have mentioned Ares type rifle as well.

Gumbi likes this.
  45. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I looked into a mini 30 , spent a year researching and looking at them in stores.
    I ended up giving away that idea as I saw three bad reviews for every one good review.
    I basically just stuck with the sks I already had.
    A suggestion or two if I may;
    What about a Springfield SOCOM M1a?
    The socom Gives you the same style action but in 308 instead of 7.62x39.
    Also If you’re looking at a short non-AR carbine in 556 maybe take a look at the X95 from IWI.
    Neither are cheap options but both are rock solid weapons that won’t let you down.

46. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    23632C8D-E9C1-44AB-BF7C-AC68F1131682.jpeg 3261C84D-9773-46AE-8D7B-AD798E801DC3.jpeg 9D8E4C7E-FED8-48A7-B80A-1EC2F122CB9F.jpeg This is my x95 , it’s an absolute baller !
    I’ve got close to 3000 rounds through it and no word of a lie not one single hiccup. Not one single jam , failure to fire or failure to eject in approximately 3000 rounds. Accuracy on a 2/3 torso plate out to 300 meters (the furthest I have taken it so far) is repetitively the same to the point of being boring, ie it puts them in there every single time.
    I have a Meprolight RDS and 3X magnifier on mine , once again not a single problem, The sights and rifle go together like peas and carrots lol
    Honestly if you’re wanting a 556 carbine length rifle that isn’t an AR you have to at least check out the x95, fire one if you can and you’ll be sold !

Gumbi likes this.
  47. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    That would be prefix 582 or higher.

Correct.

Unless you want to change out the firing pin.

heldfast, Medic17 and Muskeg_Stomper like this.
  48. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Better controls" is debatable, if you aren't married to the AR platform. The rest is spot on.

49. Muskeg_Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Wolff recoil and hammer springs help too.

heldfast, Medic17 and FreeMe like this.
  50. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    SKS and M1a are both heavier rifles. The Tavor is a bullpup - which I suspect is going to suffer the same restrictions as the AR.

Gumbi, Kona9 and Medic17 like this.