S&W M&P40 Shield

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by yooper71, Aug 9, 2019.

1. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It may be lack of sleep over the last couple days, but I’ve been pondering one of these handguns.

What do people who own them have to say about them? Good, bad, or indifferent?

My thoughts: I don’t have a .40.
    I think I may want a .40.
    They are priced decent right now.
    If I don’t like it, I have others.

Full disclosure, it’s something that’s been in the back of my mind for a bit, not a top priority. If I find one this weekend priced right, it may come home. Or I may just let the mood pass? Not quite sure what I may or may not do?

Still, I’d like opinions, thank you.

Guttersnipe and Cwlongshot like this.
  2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just to say, give the Ruger SR40c a looksee, too.
    I have a Shield 45 and the Ruger and that Ruger is a sweet shooter. The only gun I own in .40S&W.
    But I'm sure the Shield would be great, too.

yooper71 and Guttersnipe like this.
  3. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Heard a lot of good stuff on the shield but mostly in 9mm. My buddy carries one a lot over pricier pistols he owns

4. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’ve never shot one in 40 but I’d its anything like the running 5 or so 9mm shields vs xds mod 1 s I’d look at the xds in 40 I’d you wanted a single stack 40

yooper71, Guttersnipe and beacon like this.
  5. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Its a real fine choice.

CW

yooper71, Guttersnipe and Cornhusker like this.
  6. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I liked everything about the Shield (in 9mm), except I didn't shoot it well. Thats true with a lot of single stacks for me personally, its my hand size.
    I loved how it carried though. I carried it OWB in a Desantis leather thumb break at about 5 o'clock.

My dad has one (in 9mm) and he loves it and shoots it fine.

7. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one in 9mm and really like it. Wish I would have bought the 40 actually though. I'm a pretty little fella at 5'7" and 137lbs but I can still conceal it fairly well. I do opt to carry a bodyguard .380 a lot in the summer though.

yooper71, Cwlongshot and Guttersnipe like this.
  8. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've got a Shield .40 (Also a 9mm and a .45), and I like it fine.
    I actually shoot it a little better than I shoot the 9.
    I should mention my 9 and .40 are both Gen 1.
    To me, the .40 seems to have a bit better trigger than the 9, but not as good as the .45
    It's easy to conceal, feels good in the hand, the balance is good and it shoots wear you point it.
    The only negative thing I can say about the .40 Shield is that after a couple boxes, it will wear you out.

9. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic

Blog Posts:
    The shield is a hell of a gun, and at the prices they have been listed at lately it’s even better. I’ve carried and shot one since the first gen was released.

I’m intrigued by the glock 43x but keep coming back to “I don’t need it” because my shield does it’s job so well.

10. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Shield has acquired a stellar reputation for reliability, accuracy, durability, and great ergonomics, that said the .40 cal. ACP is a compromise caliber that was designed for the FBI after the infamous Dade shootout, the director asked the chief armorer to research the best handgun/ammo for their agents to carry, after months of research, tests, and ballistic reports he suggested that in his opinion the best caliber was the government .45 ACP.
    Not long before the military had advised Congress that the old warhorse .45ACP was out dated and obsolete, they wanted to adopt the standard 9mm NATO caliber, the government spent a ton of money transitioning to the 9mm for guns, ammo, and associated holsters, magazines, and training, the FBI was not about to ask Congress to spend another ton of money to go back to a caliber they just ditched, so they contracted to have a new cartridge designed that would closely copy the ballistics of the old Gov. .45ACP, and asked S&W to come up with a handgun to handle the new cartridge, the ammo manufacturer and S&W came up with the .40 S&W.
    The .40 S&W caught on quickly as the perfect LE caliber and other gun makers jumped on the band wagon to manufacture their brand for the new round, but it didn't turn out to be perfect, the smaller lighter bullet traveling at higher velocity tends to over penetrate, has greater recoil, and is harder to shoot accurately for most shooters, it's also more expensive than either .45ACP or 9mm ammo, when compared to modern .45ACP or 9mm calibers the .40S&W has no upside.
    The FBI has recently announced that it would be dropping the .40 S&W as their standard carry round and adopting the 9mm NATO round, many LE agencies have already transitioned from .40 S&W and .357 Sig and going back to the 9mm or will after the FBI decision.
    For my money were I thinking of a new pistol whether a Shield, Glock, or other brand I wouldn't be looking at the .40 S&W, for one thing I can buy 9mm or .45ACP ball practice ammo for under $12.00 a box retail rather than twice that much or more for the .40 S&W, get less recoil and muzzle blast, and with the .45ACP I can use regular ball ammo for defensive carry if I choose.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :57:

11. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had the 40 shield for about a year now and really like it.
    Took my CCW class shooting test with it and scored a perfect 250 out of 250 with it.
    I've always been impressed with the accuracy of this little guy.
    it does put a little beating on my Palm after a couple boxes though.
    Only reason I have it is I bought it from a friend for a good price. Would probably have got the 9 if I had the choice.
    I have am M&P in 9 too. Great shooter, just not as easily concealed.

Cwlongshot and yooper71 like this.
  12. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I appreciate the posts.

I’ll take a look around and see what I can find.

Guttersnipe and PAcanis like this.
  13. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I very much like the S&W Shield. On a scale of 1 to , I would rate it at about 6! I an not , however, a fan of the 40 S&W. During the past ammunition drought, I did purchase a 40 S&W a it was about the onl game n town, The platform I chose was the S&W Shield.

I found the S&W 40 Shield to be very reliable, very accurate, and very comforting. I would have no problem using it as my primary CCW today. There was 2 problems with the pistol. The first more related to me than the pistol. I am getting old and arthritic. After a range session (my range sessions are usually lengthy) my wrists would hurt for days. I never felt the recoil was the culprit, but rather that the pistol seemed to torque in my hand.

The second problem is also somewhat of a me thing, personal preference, but still somewhat a pistol issue. I am of the camp that does not want a safety on a pistol for social work. I want my pistols to work like a point and shoot camera. Just a button (trigger) to operate. Like a DA revolver. Simple solution, just don’t use the safety. Except on several occasions I found the safety on my S&W 40 Shield had engaged itself. After the ammunition drought I decided to trade the Shield in on another Shield, this one without the manual safety as the pistol was now offered in a safety-less configuration. I was also going to get the 9mm. Fate got in the way as the dealer had a KAHR 45 acp in stock. 45acp is my favorite cartridge, the KAHR fit my hand well, and I now CCW the KAHR. Not long afterwards S&W came out with the 45 Shield. Had it been available a year earlier I would still be toting a Shield.

FWIW, my brother is a fan of the 40 S&W. He carries the S&W 40 Shield. My nephew followed suite and also carries a 40 Shield. I don't recall any functionality issues with either of their pistols. My sister-in-law carries the S&W 380 Shield EZ, and despite it being one ugly....no...it’s worse than that...FUGLY pistol, it has been utterly reliable as well.

Finally, my thoughts on the 40 S&W. The 40 caliber has never made much headway in the American market, which is a shame because they are collectively very good cartridges. The 40 S&W was hampered I believe by offering it in a 9mm sized frame. While the operating pressures of the 9mm Luger and 40 S&W are similar, the 40, by virtue of its larger head diameter, has greater backthrust. Also because of its larger diameter the feed ramp angle was somewhat lengthened which created the unsupported chamber. Predictably the 40 S&W was plagued with pistols wearing out prematurely and the occasional KABOOM - especially among reloaders and brass that had already been used a few times. In pistols that were built around the cartridge instead of one built around the 9mm and converted to 40, I think the cartridge would have had a better following. FWIW, I understand the Shield was built with the 40 S&W in mind. I believe the reason that there was 40 S&W on the shelf during the past drought was because the cartridges popularity had started to wane. The supply was there, but the demand had started to decline. If there is ever another ammunition drought, and I hope there is not, I do not believe the 40 S&W will be as available. While I do believe it is a dying cartridge, I think it will still be with us a while, there are just too many of the 40mS&W pistols out there.

My token 40 S&W is a Beretta Storm duty sized police trade in. It’s a tank and I do not believe it will wear out in two lifetimes.

14. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    This “unsupported chamber” nonsense needs to die, these complainers need NEW MATERIAL... o_O

If its the dia that is the culprit why is the 10mm OK and the 45?? Its NOT! Glock has generous PROPORTIONS and strives for reliability in COMBAT CONDITIONS. SAME AS MANY OTHER PISTOLS DESIGNED FOR SAME PURPOSES!
    Just ask your Fathers, Grand Fathers and GREAT Grandfathers how there 1911’s where in the great war... They would tell you they couldnt hit the side of a barn.. from the INSIDE! Why? Because they where designed to WORK under the harshest of conditions! That and the mentality was a hand gun is simply the means to attain a rifle. Ever see a liberator pistol?? Wanna complain about recoil, Comfort weight. Hell the dam things slide worked BACKWARDS! It was a means to an end.

It was a issue of unsupported chambers was the FIRST GENERATION GLOCKS. And VANISHED in the second Generation!

OMG. PEOPLE LOVE TO COMPLAIN!!! Its too heavy... Its too light... Its too small... It recoils too much... It wears out guns faster...

40’s shoot heavier bullets at faster velocities. The result is recoil.
    The fact that more power is afforded in same size package Is a plus to many and a detriment to others. Cause if they wanted a bigger gun they would buy one... the 40 allows same size many cases SAME holsters a d feel with MORE POWER on tap.

MORE POWER no matter how small in a plus to a defensive handgun caliber. Otherwise all would be 22 rf...

Take it or leave it but for gods sake make that choice YOURSELF and dont listen to the redorick.

CW

15. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    You don’t think the 40 will be as available ? I’m just waking up I don’t get it .

16. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have Shields in both 9 & 40. Love them both. The 40 is a bit more "snappy". Both shoot true to aim. Magazines are affordable. Lots of holster options. As inexpensive as they are I think it is hard to go wrong.

yooper71, Guttersnipe and Cwlongshot like this.
  17. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    As much as I like my Shield40. I also have been super impressed with my Shield45.

Its only a “smidge” larger and heavier. I dont notice the difference carrying.

Choose your poison, I think all three are winners!

CW

18. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    The Shield 45 is awesome in every way. In fact I'd prefer the 2.0 in any caliber than the one based solely on the improvements, and pay the difference. If the texture wasn't quite so aggressive on my hip, I'd still have it.

Cwlongshot, yooper71 and Guttersnipe like this.
  19. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve thought about it. The only downside I’d see to that, is that would leave me in the situation of still not having a .40. And that’s one of my loose requirements here. I just thought it was time for a .40, and I was thinking a Shield would be nice.

I have .45’s. But I don’t have a striker fired .45, and that’s why the thought of a Shield .45 is appealing to me also.

Thanks for the input.

Guttersnipe, Cwlongshot and Wasp like this.
  20. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I own a 9mm shield...the performance center one. Stupid accurate. My buddy carries the .40 Cal version and loves it. Both are really nice...I don't think you can miss with either one.

Guttersnipe and yooper71 like this.
  21. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m just waking up after 3 hrs of sleep after a run of night shifts. So I’m not at my best. Lol

When I posted “I’ll look around and see what I can find” I was just making a general statement. Not thinking I can’t find a .40.

Also just commenting on the fact that while I’m thinking Shield, I may be sidetracked if I run into something more interesting pops up. I’m thinking it’s time for another handgun, I’m thinking a .40 would scratch an itch I have to acquire one.

For example, while not actively looking for one, if they had a S&W 4006 at a good price sitting on the shelf while I was looking at a Shield, it would come home with me instead. Or if I saw a S&W M296 on the shelf at a reasonable price, I’d probably forget about the Shield as well.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  22. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    This was my Shield 45

20181221_104339.jpg
    You can see where I was aiming where multi hits in the same place/even with the trigger guard. 20181122_171706.jpg

23. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Unsupported chambers are common. I don’t know of any duty pistols that do not have unsupported chambers to a degree. Its there for reliability. Not complaining, just stating facts. A picture of my duty sized 45 acp chamber. Definitely not fully supported.
    5F215F26-AF95-434D-A504-F42CDA76A42F.jpeg

24. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup.

While I don’t own a .40, I’ve shot enough to be familiar with what the caliber is or isn’t. I think I may even still have a box of .40 around from when I borrowed a couple for a day at the range a few winters ago?

I agree with your post, nothing about the .40 S&W gives me concern.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  25. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Got ya I thought you were thinking 40 ammo lol .

yooper71, Guttersnipe and Cwlongshot like this.
  26. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    Thats my point man!! Its a auto feeding firearm, NONE OF THEM ARE FULLY SUPPORTED!!!

Want that, buy a BOLT OR REVOLVER!

BUT its also DOSENT much matter!!

Its done because its needed to be done for the firearm to function.

The 38 Super was plagued with it for a time when folks felt it needed to be a magnum. So ramped
    Barrels where manufactured but are allot more costly and frankly not needed if things are not pushed.

Brass cases can easily make up the difference and manufacturers dont care about reloaders. Brass is as perishable as the bullets powder and primers to them.

Thats why I say people need to become more informed and stop spreading miss information.

CW

27. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    CW. I have known you a long time from the other forum..Handi Rifles...and I know you know your stuff.

but we will respectively disagree. I like 40 calibers, the 41 Mag is a favorite of mine, and the 40 S&W is a fine cartridge. it just needs a slightly beefier frame than the 9mm frame than most 40 S&W call home. the 357 Sig is in the same boat. no less than the NC Highway Patrol just replaced their handguns because of cracked frames.

as I noted, i do believe the S&W Shield is built around the 40 caliber, and with the exception of the safety, I had no issues with mine, and my brother and nephew had no issues either.

Cwlongshot, Guttersnipe and yooper71 like this.
  28. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't agree with you more, so lets evaluate the .40S&W in the bright light of day.

1, While the .40S&W is a quite effective cartridge, it was the answer to a non existing problem other than for politically invested officials that didn't want to have to eat Crow after deriding the old but still highly effective .45acp, it simply wasn't needed and as time goes on more shooters and most LE professionals are coming to the realization that the round is far from perfect in a lot of ways.
    2, Ballistics wise, over the coronagraph, in ballistic gel, and when running numbers the .40S&W comes out superior to the .45acp, But in the field the .45acp is more manageable, is traveling at a slower velocity, does not have the tendency to over penetrate like the .40S&W therefor it expends more of it's energy in the target than the higher velocity rounds that pass through the target, that taken into consideration the .45acp. comes out on top.
    3, Wear or metal stress damage caused by the higher pressures of the .40S&W over the .45acp can be put aside because guns that are specifically built to withstand those pressures are being offered, but what can't be put aside is the very real issue of recoil especially in smaller and lighter weight pistols made for concealed carry, compared to the .45acp the .40S&W has more sideways torque and muzzle flip that has been referred to as uncomfortable in the least by some and violent in the most by others, which equates to less control in rapid fire drills or in an actual gun fight.

For those folks that have and like their .40S&W's, continue to enjoy them, I'm not condemning them, I'm simply pointing out why the .40S&W exists and what it's weak points are, I'm also pointing out that when it comes to choosing a personal protection firearm/caliber combo, the 40S&W holds no magic nor is it any more efficient on the street or on the range than either the 9mm or .45acp, it only does it more harshly and more expensively than the other two, which is why many more LE agencies around the country are transitioning away from the .357mag. Sig and .40S&W, IMHO the reason there are so many .40S&W handguns in the showcases is not so much about their popularity as it is that they just aren't selling like they used to.

Wasp, Cwlongshot and Guttersnipe like this.
  29. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have no experience with the Shield in .40 S&W, but I do with vers. 1.0 in 9mm. I can't bring myself to really like it. While the ergos are similar to equivalent polymer guns, the Shield just doesn't do it for me. I don't like the split trigger design or having to fidget with the sear deactivation lever inside the mag well for takedown. The slide operation is gritty and hits an unusually hard wall returning to the last 1/4" of battery. (Not that it's ever hiccuped.) It could also stand to use fiber optic sights, which is to be expected with lower priced guns. I will give credit to the slide stop being forward enough that my thumb doesn't ride it, which IMO, is an achielles heel with some sub-compacts.

Still, it's a reliable gun. With current pricing at $250 online (and only slightly more for .40 S&W) and cheap magazines, I think it's a good budget friendly option for CCW. Like any handgun, it's always good to at least hold one before you buy it.

30. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have a 9mm shield gen 1 or 1.0 or whatever you want to call it.
    I like everything about it EXCEPT it is the most inaccurate pistol I have.
    I shot the performance center version and was hitting quarter siczed dots at 10 yards. I didn't want a ported gun so got the standard version. I'm lucky if I can hit a basketball at 10 yards with it.

As with all new gun purchases, try it out before you buy it.

31. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    sounds like you might have got a bad one. Jeff a member at club also has a bad one he's seen me shoot his security six so he knows what an accurate pistol can do at 100 yards. He was going to call smith about it sometime he recently got a g2C after warranty for a pro pistol that I'll be shooting on Tuesday. I haven't exactly ran out and bought a shield yet even after shooting a members performance center one.

32. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    I read a study done years ago by a ballistics specialist. A couple of his conclusions:
    Hand guns kill people by damage to the CNS or by dropping your blood pressure via bleeding.
    For CNS that's self evident.
    For the BP:
    The longer and bigger the hole the more and faster you bleed. Given the tiny mass and energy of a bullet as compared to an adult, their is no knock down power or energy imparted to the body. A shot going all the way thru has a longer hole than one that doesn't. Over penatration is a concern for hitting a bystander, not for how deadly the shot is for the intended.
    Knock down power is a myth. Getting hit with a fastball imparts more energy on you. Accounts from people shot describe feeling little to no impact and the mass involved of a bullet vs a person is greatly different. Were talking pistols, not long gun.
    Now don't go hating on me. Just relating what I read. No, I couldn't find source study.
    I was in the army when we changed from 45 to 9mm. Primary reason was logistics and compatibility with NATO forces, 9mm NATO.
    Since military ammo is ball the bigger 45 is more damaging. Can't use hollowpoints. And for soldiers, pistols are personal defence weapons.

33. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    I have been kept away for this aweful google ad.

But powers to be seemed to have quelled the tide!! GOOD JOB GUYS!!

Greg,
    I appreciate the compliments. I cannot disagree with the whole of your post. I will only come t to the argument of wear. As stated before like the ammo the gun itself is a tool and tools are Consumables. We need to replace them from time to time. Those we use more often wear out quicker.

Moe,
    I also mostly agree with your posting. My Bottom line is as RIO87 said here just before me. The fastest incapacitation comes from disturbing the most tissue. Causing the most trama resulting in the most blood loss. What do that all say? BIGGER IS BETTER! How ever small or large that difference may be. EVERYTHING with a hand gun is a compromise. Ill choose one that can do the most for me THEN LEARN TO BECOME PROFICIENT.

Rio,

My Shield40 is also not the most accurate. Mine is a first gen. Its ENTIRELY ADEQUATE. BUT most all
    Of my carry pieces are more accurate some ALLOT more. ;). I bought TWO 357 SIG conversion barrels and NEITHER will function with a full Magazine. Put 3/4 and its great. 5-6 and it nose dives. I shelved the barrels.

BUT. Ill NEVER need this to hit a eye ball at 25 yards let along the silliness of considering 100yard shooting! (No offense Scottman!! Like reading your posts about the subject) at personal distances and out to that 25 yard I can hit a cantaloupe 100%. Obviously its a cone and its allot more accurate up close.
    Now my Shield45 is another story!! That bugger SHOOTS!! My Sierra 185hp is cooking along at over 900 fps with Blue bot and hits are always inside a tennis ball at 50YARDS!! Eyeballs at 25 are very doable!!

The move to 9MM has ZERO to do with the actual bullet. Its 100% because the majority of folks today are followers and they place trust in whom ever they subscribe too. Relying that THEY did there do diligence.
    Yea some of that is ability to shoot less powerful easier and allot of it is over all cost. Smaller Is cheaper.

Ill make my own decisions based on what I believe and learn. Ill listen to and hold information from
    those I respect, but its a tool, its not gospel. What true for one is not always true for all or anyone else.

This is the biggest reason when folks ask for a suggestion I suggest they go somehwere that they can use the item shoot the gun and see what THEY THINK, cause other wise its a thread about everyones favorites. Fun as that is, it dose t really answer the question.

Mych like Blonds and Brunettes or Fords and Chevys... There is ALWAYS a red head showing up in a Mopar!

CW

oldpinecricker likes this.
  34. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    You obviously haven't seen me shoot! :18::18::18:

Lee C. and Cwlongshot like this.
  35. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    A quick .40 vs .45 story.

A friend has a Browning Hi-Power in .40 S&W and a Hungarian Hi-Power clone in .45 acp. Another friend wanted to shoot the .45 acp on our next trip to the range. The handgun owner had something come up, so he couldn't make the range trip. He loaned the .45 pistol and a supply of ammo to the guy who wanted to shoot it, and away we went.

At the range, the first shot thru the pistol sounded peculiar and the next round failed to fire. The shooter racked the slide and tilted the muzzle down to examine the chamber. Imagine his surprise when the entire unfired round slid out the muzzle and onto the table! Yep. The owner had mistakenly sent .40 S&W rounds with his .45 acp pistol.

It was a miracle that the first round actually fired, and even more of a miracle that the badly-split brass actually ejected (we found it on the ground)! It took the owner about 5 years to live that one down.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  36. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    so the buying of a 40 shield to run a 357 sig barrel is a not wise CW?

it's ok on the 100 yard shooting the revolver right by me right now sucks at 100 yards but I'm inside right now ;) It's all about what data is relevant to the user.

37. Cwlongshot

Blog Posts:
    Not at all. I think it would be great!! But wont work in my gun. (Unknown)

I spoke with manufacturer. They swapped barrels with me TWICE!! Still no good. I cannot send it to them as they are not the manufacturer a d it would need a transfer. The company is in Mass and gun laws there suk... just not worth chancing it.

I should sell the barrels.

CW