Sabre Japan 644 stockman

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by bigfoots, Oct 13, 2018.

1. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20181013_143608.jpg Found another slip joint for my collection. It's missing the shield but it seams to have good carbon steel blades and cleaned up pretty well. I'll test it when I head out to the woods tommorow. IMG_20181013_134033.jpg

2. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess I was right about the steel, this thing sharpened up with little effort!

3. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember when ya could buy that knife at the 5 n dime for a dollar and 75 cents.

I still have a barlow model and a bowie model made by them. Wasn't bad steel, but there was still a lot of distrust for japanese steel in the 60's / 70's. Sort of how it has now moved towards china made stuff.

Muleman77, buckfynn and bigfoots like this.
  4. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes some guys on a knife forum said the same thing, they were cheap. Also these things were made in several countries including USA ,Japan, Germany, Ireland and China. It's not bad for the 3 bucks I paid.

buckfynn and happywanderer like this.
  5. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of the large Sabre Barlow knives and one "normal" size with a big sheepsfoot and a pen blade. I haven't really "used" them, but they seem quite fine. Definitely solid, and much nicer than the really chintzy knives they used to make with the pressed sheet metal faux-jigged handles.

bigfoots likes this.
  6. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I remember them, also, back when Japan was mainly known for poor grade smelted scrap metal, while USA, Germany, and Sweden used virgin ore for steel.

Times have changed. The only steel I know of today which is for sure not recycled is the 12C27 of Mora use, from Sandvik, traceable from knife batch all the way back to ore and from where it came. There surely are others, but even Mora plain carbon is German likely recycled, same as B/U O1.

bigfoots likes this.
  7. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure I had the exact same knife in the early seventies, although mine was an advertising piece with red checkered "Purina" scales. My mom got it somewhere and gave it to me. I sharpened one of the smaller blades to a highly polished zero grind, it was crazy sharp.

buckfynn and bigfoots like this.
  8. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sabre made my early teens Bowie knife. CHEAP. Pressed on rattly guard, some sort of compressed wood fiber scales, and a sheath of really low end leather. The scales and sheath both fell apart after being in a couple of good drenching rains, and I made my own, crudely.

Lost that knife some time in my 20s. Think it went in the wrong pile when I was moving, and got mistakenly thrown away. I still do that.

Anyway, the steel wasn't bad at all. Took a very good edge, and was adequate in edgeholding. Never broke, and I sure abused it.