Sacha Puukko - Small Package, Big Performance

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by LostViking, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:01 PM.

1. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had this one for a while. Took it out once or twice. Used it a bit, but it didn’t make it into the rotation.

Fit and finish is excellent. The Desert Ironwood is spectacular. The photos don’t do it justice.
    [​IMG]

It’s been hot here. I hate hot. I kind of resemble Ursus Horribilis when it’s hot. I’m usually in the shade and it’s probably best to leave me alone.

Today there was a bit of a break in the heat and humidity. We don’t see heat and humid air like a lot of places. But it’s all relative and it’s been hot for me.

I felt the urge to do something bushie today. And the Sasha was on the kitcken table from some sorting that happened earlier. So I grabbed it and headed out.

It’s a physically small knife. Specs can be found here.
    https://www.sachawlt.com/store/the-puukko

When it first arrived. I wondered if it was too small. It’s a little smaller than my usual sweet spot. But it sure is nice on the belt.
    Here it is in comparison to my Orford Woodlander. Just for scale.
    [​IMG]

Still sort of in hot cranky Griz mode. i wasn’t in the mood for anything too strenuous. But I wanted to try out the small Puukko a bit.

I made a small feather stick and scraped down some shavings with the spine into the feathers.
    It lit with about four strikes of my ferro rod. I immediatly though to myself.
    “ Well if you were in need of a fast fire, this little guy wouldn’t disappoint”
    I did not however take any photos of that little exercise. It was small and brief anyway. But it was a fire never the less. Still cool.

With that early success under my belt.
    I set out to play some more next up a clothes pin. First a little batoning was in order.
    [​IMG]

I wouldn’t want to beat this thing through a ‘67 Buick. But within it’s parameters it should work fine.

See, now I have a stick!
    [​IMG]

The spine is sharp, as is the blade. For stripping bark, pick your poison.
    [​IMG]

Save those shavings,
    [​IMG]

A little trimming and shaving and poof! We have a clothes pin.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 6:30 AM
  2. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    It was clouding up and threatening thunder storms. And the Deer Flies were not on a hunger strike. So I thought perhaps a bigger fire was in order. I stuck the Sacha Puukko in a piece of wood and made some feathers.
    [​IMG]

After I had some fire, and more importantly some smoke, to keep the bugs at bay. Nasty little F15 looking bugs those Deer Flies.

I spotted a small piece of wood in the fire and thought it would be useful. I batoned it free from a larger stick, cleaned it up and here it is
    [​IMG]

Pretty cool huh??

Not bad for just forking around! I cleaned up and rounded the top later.
    [​IMG]

Here is a knife, a clothes pin, a fork and a beer, just for scale.
    [​IMG]

This little guy did well enough today, to earn it more woods time. It did everything without complaint. All with an easy natural feel.
    Well except for that Buick. But I’ve never seen the need to hack up old cars in the woods anyway.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 7:22 AM
  3. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful knife. Just perfect.

4. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    I thought this was kind of a cool shot,
    [​IMG]

5. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Thank You!

Pharmer and buckfynn like this.
  6. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @LostViking , I hope you drank that beer before it got warm. I mean I know it's rough, but some things just need to be done when they need to be done. Cool little knife. I actually just became aware of this maker watching a vid about the Boulder Outdoor Survival School, where apparently Sacha is an instructor. They sell his knives there. Vid here...

7. LostViking

Blog Posts:

I chatted with Sacha pretty extensively prior to purchasing the Puukko. Great guy to deal with.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 6:34 AM
  8. x39

Blog Posts:
    Sure sounds like he's in a good position to develop his designs under some pretty harsh field conditions. That seems to be reflected in the no nonsense lines of his knives. Thanks for the review.

9. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great knives and a really nice guy with excellent customer service. I recommend his knives as well. For me the standard size is the best. I’d like a larger sized one with a fuller handle too. The one I had tapered up front and wasn’t as comfortable as the std one.

10. deckard313

deckard313 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great looking knife!

11. voortrekker

voortrekker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knife with practical design.

What is the blade and overall length? Specs in the link provided didn’t give this information.

This knife reminds me of a SET M1.

Pharmer, buckfynn and LostViking like this.
  12. LostViking

Blog Posts:

SPECIFICATIONS

• Blade: (2,9″) 74 mm
    • Handle: (3,85”) 98 mm
    • Overall: (6,75”) 172 mm
    • Blade thickness: (3/32”) 2.4 mm
    • Blade material: American 01 tool steel
    • Blade hardness: 59 (HRC)
    • Handle material: Desert Ironwood
    http://store.boss-inc.com/field-items/knives/sacha-knives-puukko.html

13. Justin_Cloer

Justin_Cloer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its Randy from Alone!

Pharmer, x39 and buckfynn like this.
  14. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    OK...I'm going to be the wet blanket here and say I don't like that knife. It lacks the nuance of design that true Finnish puukkot have, namely the flare (i.e., bulge) in the handle. There's no flare on the side profile, and I don't see any hint of one at all when looking at the knife from the spine. That flare is vitally important on a guardless knife; it is the only thing that keeps your hand from sliding forward on the handle and onto the sharp edge.

:2:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LostViking, x39 and buckfynn like this.
  15. the_dude

the_dude Guide

Blog Posts:
    The thing that prevents my hand from sliding forward onto the blade is a strict "no stabbing" policy.

16. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Nice. I’ve got the Large Puukko.
    They’re definitely great little knives. Super light and nimble. Crazy sharp.

Still would love to pick up the standard model like you have, one of these days. :D

LostViking, Pharmer and buckfynn like this.
  17. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds about right to me ? I just had one made that measures 3" blade at 1" wide 3.5" handle and it's a handy size in my opinion . Don't have a caliper but it's somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8 thick also by my ruler ?

Edit: Lovely Knife .

LostViking, Pharmer and buckfynn like this.
  18. x39

Blog Posts:
    While I agree that the term "puukko" is a bit overused these days, to your specific points the iconic Tapio Wirkkala puukko had none of the listed attributes either...

[​IMG]

19. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    No wet blanket what so ever.
    Different views are what makes the world turn.

I am familiar with the term Puukko. I also agree this term is a bit over used. I also agree this knife isn’t technically a Puukko. For May reasons. Not the least of which is it’s point of origin.

One complaint of Puukko in general by the much of the world is their lack of a guard. Offering little or no protection from sliding forward. The Finns seem to compensate for that, by learning how to use their tools properly.

Most of what causes a forward slide results from stabbing actions. This knife is definitely not a stabbing instrument. But in other normal tasks. I have not found it to be much different than other Puukko knives I own.
    [​IMG]

My Puukko knives see a fair amount of action. So I will keep your observation in mind moving forward, and update on any issues.

Ironically and totally unrelated.
    One of the worst cuts I have received, was from a knife sliding backwards. Pretty much the same thing as the hand sliding forward, only different.

The knife slid backwards through my hand. Leaving a nice clean slash on my ring and pinky fingers.

That knife was a Spyderco Bushcraft UK.
    A knife almost universally touted as having one of the best shaped handles in the business. And yet it slid through my hands like a greased pig.

I attributed 98% of it to operator error.
    But to save what was left of my fragile ego. And retain some self confidence, as I bled all over the snow and my snowshoes. I blamed the other two percent on the slipperiness of the G10 and rearward weight bias of that knife. Which makes the knife want to fall into your hand instead of out and away from it.

I do get your point on the barrel shape of some Puukkos. Here is one of my favorites. And it exhibits the shape you reference.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your comments! I think they were born of a solid observation! But as @x39 points out. Some of the nicest Puukkos from the most respected makers in Finland possess a straight taper from Pommel to Blade.

Puukkos definitely command respect when using. There is a small learning curve. Especially so for those of us who grew up with guarded knives in our youth.

But once you get familiarized, they are a very special tool.

20. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didn't want to hog the OP but since pictures have been posted here is mine .
    IMG_20190712_210008410.jpg
    It has more of a barrel shaped handle but no palm swell . All in all sweet little knife IMHO .

buckfynn likes this.
  21. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That's what keeps me safe.

buckfynn likes this.
  22. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I really like the scale detail near the ricasso. That looks like a comfortable knife. Is the cross section oval or mostly round?

Oddly enough the worst cut I've ever gotten by a knife was with a Malanika Pukko. I was making a try stick and the web between my thumb and index fingers was pinched between the stick and the edge. Cut it like butter. As many have said the lack of guard or choil doesn't hurt the performance or increase the dangers of using it. Take it slow and you'll only cut what was meant to be cut.

trafficjuzz and buckfynn like this.