Saint Louis MO

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by A K Church, Sep 12, 2018.

1. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Week after next I will be vacationing there, and particularly around the St Peter/St Charles area.

Any must sees?

EternalLove and Bobsdock like this.
  2. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not bushcraft but the City Museum is a great place if you have kids. Not really a museum, more of a 12 story playground that's big enough for adults to have fun, too.

https://www.citymuseum.org/

EternalLove likes this.
  3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Arch has a museum the atmosphere is unsettling with security. In downtown you can see a burlesque show, an escape room, and if one is open a haunted maze. You can also tour the Budwieser brewery. The bars are not bad but the crowds there are mostly sports oriented. They like their teams esspecially the Cardinals. There is a nice bike trail that is popular.

Bobsdock likes this.
  4. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The "Old Main Street" area of St.Charles is an interesting area to check out - several blocks of cobblestone streets with small shops, restaurants, and a few bars along the west bank of the Missouri River. It is a family oriented area. On the Missouri River at the south end of Main St. is the Boathouse, a facility dedicated to the history of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. They have exhibits describing many details of the expedition, including replicas of the boats used on that excursion. A few miles south of St. Charles near Defiance, MO is the home of Daniel Boone in his later years. As for St. Louis itself, there are many interesting things to see, but the street crime situation has become much worse in the last few years. The downtown area has seen a steep decline (like 20%) in conventions held there as a direct result of violent crimes against individuals. St. Louis has a fabulous zoo and Science Center and fantastic dining, but after the sun goes down you don't want to be walking around there more than absolutely necessary.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    St. Peters / St. Charles was my stompin grounds for many years ….. Nice area. How long are you in town for ?

6. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Knives? Knives! The arch looks like a weird ulu, if you go to east st Louis you will want to take at least 2 axes and a chopper, have fun.

svh, EternalLove, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you get close to kansas city the steamboat arabia meuseum looks awesome,if you havent seen the images online its worth a look as well.

EternalLove likes this.
  8. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Fun fact: St. Louis is the murder capital of America. It shares that dubious spot with Detroit and Chicago and a few other cities. The numbers don't tell the whole story. I think Detriot is the worse as I don't see civilization anywhere near the area. At least Chicago has the Navy Pier area and East St. Louis has...well...West St. Louis sucks too but it has those things that I mentioned.

I wonder what those cities have in common besides high crime....

Broke likes this.
  9. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Grand Prairie Knives in Troy, IL

Broke and EternalLove like this.
  10. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    That is a great suggestion. I also like the Hen House restaurants surrounding St. Louis. There is one or two around there if you google Hen House. There may be some cave tour nearby as well West on i44 a few miles. I believe the good ones are closer to Springfield Misouri (A great place to stop and take a dump while driving through the state of Misouri).

Broke likes this.
  11. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on this. Very good selection and competitive prices.

Broke likes this.
  12. Naturalist

Naturalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    St. Charles and St. Peters was my old stomping grounds from 1999-2004

In Old St. Charles, be sure to check our the Trailhead Tavern/Brewery. Excellent appetizers, meals and, or course, brew. The streets are inlaid with brick in the older town and has a lot of shops. There is a museum there about the Lewis & Clark expedition. The first Missouri State Capital remains in St Charles, too. (Google)

Go to St. Louis (not as bad as some say) and visit the Anheuser-Busch brewery, Grant's Farm, the St. Louis Zoo (free). At the airport I grabbed the tram and took that to the inner city. Start at the Arch and work your way back. Good trip.

Broke likes this.
  13. HardBall

HardBall Basket of Deplorable Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You should check out the cathedral there, I believe it's near the zoo. You don't have to be religious to appreciate it...it will blow you away! You'll think your in Rome or something.

Broke likes this.
  14. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A bladed tour of saint louie?

HardBall likes this.
  15. steel on a stick

steel on a stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    between Missouri river and Mississippi river
    If in town Sunday visit the flea market in wentzville. Just off of Church street and I 70, opens at 7:00 am. Might see me there.

Broke likes this.