SAK Alox vs standard plastic

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by batmanacw, May 17, 2018.

1. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the Pioneer, Pioneer x, and Farmer. All three are Alox aluminum scales.

I have yet to buy a plastic handled SAK.

How much difference is there is rigidity on heavier whittling cuts? Does the strength of the scales affect your view of the SAK as a survival back up tool?

I bought the Pioneer X today because it is essentially the same knife as the farmer, but with more practical scissors instead of a wood saw for edc. I narrowly chose it over the Super Tinker because I like the awl better and the grips should be stiffer.

Maybe someday I will try out a Super Tinker, but for the most part I worry about putting pressure on the plastic handled versions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

20180517_145201.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    Taking the Farmer as an example as this is the one I own. There are notable differences to the sandard Plastic SAk knives - plastic = thicker scales but interestingly the farmer has a noticeably thicker main blade and the cap lifter/large screwdriver is larger and slightly thicker on the Farmer, while the can opener/small screwdriver are the same.

The Alox Cadet 2 however is the same as the plastic Recruit

isme and City Bushcrafter like this.
  3. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I'll look for that next time I see them.

isme likes this.
  4. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Pioneer X is very slightly thicker.

20180517_145724.jpg

isme and City Bushcrafter like this.
  5. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've carried a Hiker (plastic) for ten years because it has a second blade and is lighter, I sometimes use a Farmer, I love the reamer and the main blade is thicker, but for edc I just am bugged by the extra weight. The scales on the Hiker look gross and I had to glue one back on, but no game ending problems

Seacapt., isme and City Bushcrafter like this.
  6. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've carried the Super Tinker (bottom knife) for about 8-9 years. I carried the Tinker for about the same amount of time prior to buying the ST for the scissors. I'll carry the Alox Cadet to church as its small and thin, but prefer the red SAK's for the tooth pick and tweezers. I bought both of my sons Alox Pioneers while in Bolivia a couple of years ago, and they both love them and put their red SAK's up.
    image.jpeg

7. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've carried the same Camper for 30 years without any problems at all, never had one break, crack, or come loose. It's been used hard and is still as handy as it was in 1987. I want a Farmer bad, but really just because I worry about losing my Camper.

City Bushcrafter likes this.
  8. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMO,

SAK Standard = cool
    SAK Alox = Mo cool

9. steel a way

steel a way Tracker

Blog Posts:
  10. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mah.
    The SAK isn’t a hard use tool. The plastic handle is very comfortable to me. Both work well.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  11. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am wondering how much I'll feel in the difference. I might just need to buy a Super Tinker or find one used at the flea market this weekend.

12. Solphilos

Solphilos Guide

Blog Posts:
    There should be no concern putting a standard SAK to use; it should handle mostly anything an Alox model can take, within reason of course.

When I was younger I abused my fair share of Victorinox knives, and broken and bent a few blades and tools. The pivots never proved to be points of weakness, and although the celludoir scales could easily be damaged the knife should still function as usual.

City Bushcrafter and Mikewood like this.
  13. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have owned the plastic handles models my whole life and they held up fine. I do prefer the alox models though.

I also prefer the saw over scissors because anything I can cut with scissors I can cut with a blade. But everything I can cut with a saw cant be cut with a blade. Jmo. ;)

14. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @batmanacw , there is definitely a difference between the Alox Farmer and Camper when it comes to carving.
    IMG_20180517_221509566.jpg

The Alox Farmer at 3ounces is a sturdy knife. I can put a good amount of force on the blade's tip and it feels solid. It also is a great screw driver due to the rigidity of the scales.

The Camper at 2.6 ounces feels very flexible in contrast, however the upside is that it has a few more tools that come in handy with some inginuity.

I keep them both in the same spot, and I am likely to grab either when I'm out and about.

15. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought myself a Boy Scout knife when I was about 10. Wanted the screwdrivers. Every SAK I’ve had since then was just a stainless stand in for that knife. Bottle opener, can opener, etc. of course just Phillips and straight screwdriver aren’t enough now a days. Take a look at some of the Wiha screwdrivers that pack literally dozens of bits into their screwdriver handles.

It is tough to be prepared these days.

SoreFeet likes this.
  16. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    My $.02 is not a fan metal scales. They just don't "Do it" for me. Much prefer the red plastic.

17. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Alox scales are more durable. The Celidor scales can pop off or crack, I've experienced both. But neither will render the knife unusable. Celidor scaled knifes have an aluminum (I believe) liner which is the actual structural part of the handle. In use you won't notice much of a difference. The Celidor knives still feel plenty solid and in most cases will never have an issue. The Alox scaled knives can be beat on relentlessly.

@Mikewood my Pioneer begs to differ. A SAK is a hard use tool. I've certainly done far more with my SAK than any pocket knife I've carried previously and it still functions like the day I got it.

Mikewood and City Bushcrafter like this.
  18. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never had any problems with my hard used red plastics over the years plus they're warmer in hand during winter, if I get a yen for metal scales I dig out my USGI demo jack knife.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  19. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Half the stuff we own these days is plastic, probably why the Alox models are so popular.

20. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just my opinion but by a hard use tool I mean a tool meant to be abused. Examples would be an axe, froe, crowbar, halligan tool etc. some big knives like the esee Junglass and machetes would fall into that category. Small folding knives simply won’t hold up to abuse. That’s ok, they are not meant to. If it means something different to you that’s cool. Just wanted to let you know where I stand.

21. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    To quote a good friend and professional mechanic "all tools are ment to be abused". He takes it a step father than I do, but still yes I get it. I have a broken pry bar at home that broke prying a wheel bearing assembly off of a Jeep. I use my Pioneer as a mini pry bar and hammer, things I wouldn't do with other folding knives so therefore abuse in my mind.