1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Samick SLB-II Longbow

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Dave_Markowitz, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Today I drove out to Lancaster Archery Supply, which is a bit more than an hour from home. I'm not sure what happened but a Samick SLB-II longbow hopped off the rack and followed me home. :)

The Samick is a 69", 50# draw longbow with flatbow-type limbs. It's made from laminated fiberglass, walnut, and maple. When unstrung there is a slight reflex but when strung it is a "D" shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The service at Lancaster Archery Supply was great and I was able to shoot the bow before deciding whether to purchase it. We put a target out at about seven yards and I put several arrows into a first-sized cluster. It draws smoothly but did have some hand shock. Along with the bow I got a set of wool string silencers that I put on after I got home. Adding the silencers got rid of virtually all the hand shock.

LAS didn't have the correct arrows already setup to go with the bow so I decided to try the cedars I already had at home, that I use with my horsebow. As it turns out, they shoot better in the Samick than the SMA horsebow, for which I think I need shafts with a lighter spine.

Along with the bow I bought a stringer, Neet armguard, and a leather back quiver by Big Tradition Archery. This quiver is to replace the nylon back quiver I got from 3 Rivers Archery, which while well made, is too floppy for my taste.

Upon getting home and installing the string silencers, I went out back and put about 72 shots through the Samick. I like it. It was quiet even without the silencers, it's now ever more so. Compared with the Martin recurve it's a little easier to pull, and is the most forgiving of my three bows.

The Samick seems like it's a great value and I look forward to shooting it a lot, and hopefully bagging some venison with it.

2. CKjeep84

CKjeep84 Guide

Blog Posts:
    nice looking bow, i just picked up a AMF Wing Thunderbird 62" with 45 lbs pull. its old but is in great shape

3. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Nice bow, congratulations. Are you a south-paw or do you shoot Asian style with a thumb release?

4. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a lefty.

5. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd say you did well on your trip to Lancanster! Enjoy shooting the new longbow!

6. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just followed ya home , did it ? That looks like a really sweet bow.

7. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Scout

Blog Posts:
    It leaped out of the rack at me then jumped in my truck. I hate when that happens.

:4:

8. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    right on.. congrats.. those are great looking/shooting bows for the $$$..

10. Steven Feidt

Steven Feidt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a nice a nice bow. I wish Lancaster Archery was a hour drive from my home, I would like the immediate gradification instead of going through the ordering hassle when I need some archery related items.

11. DeDominick

DeDominick Scout

Blog Posts: