SAS Survival Bow

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Tye, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Tye

Tye Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok folks anyone have or know anything about the SAS Survival Bows that are on the market. Don't really know why I want one other than hey you never know.

I started out shooting a recurve as a youth and have bow hunted for years. Had an injury a couple years back bought a crossbow so I wouldn't miss the season. After I healed I now alternate between the two. Im laid up now from shoulder surgery will probably miss bow season regardless of what I use can't draw a bow or cock a crossbow right now.

But as I started anyone have any knowledge of the SAS bow? I've watched several YouTube reviews but wanted to get the take from someone I could ask questions of.

alukban and DavidJAFO like this.
  2. Doug Shadwell

Doug Shadwell Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    What would you like to know?

alukban likes this.
  3. Tye

Tye Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What every you can tell IE is it worth buying, have you taken any game with it, how accurate is it as in consistant. That kind of stuff what did you pay for your a d where did you buy it. Thanks

alukban likes this.
  4. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    Shooting a bow made me stop buying a survival bow. Not because it is no good, but for the price they ask and the ergonomics you receive in return you can buy a vintage bow and have enough money for some other things. If I am not quite off, you could buy a Samick Sage takedown for the same price. You can't compare them. But, if you like survival word, maybe the bow is for you.

alukban and possumjon like this.
  5. Tye

Tye Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Derzis. I'm not familiar with the Samick Sage you speak of but I will be looking into it. No the Survival word means about as much as Tactical, generally the wording is a marketing Strategy. Thanks for the advise. Was beginning to worry no one had anything to add.

alukban likes this.
  6. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the Samick Sage, as it is a great bow.. I think it's so good, in my opinion, that I don't desire an upgrade. I'm up in age so their 45 lb. is my choice

jaybird14 and alukban like this.
  7. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know nothing about bows, but any time I see the words "survival, SAS, special forces, tactical" or any other wording like that in the name it is a big red flag for me.

juliuslim likes this.
  8. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi Tye, Just thought I'd chime in and give another thumbs up for those Samick bows. Beyond being only $150 delivered they are really nice shootin'. Check around on archery websites like Tradgang for other opinions. I guarantee nobody says anything bad about the Samick Sage bow.

9. Doug Shadwell

Doug Shadwell Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hi Tye.

I am the designer of the bow and of course shoot them all the time and we sell thousands of them internationally. I am not going to promote my own product here in terms of how great it is because I think there is enough unbiased data out on the web where actual users have given us the thumbs up and claim the bows shoots just as well as some of their more expensive recurve bows. We even have a customer feedback section on our website where customers have given feedback you can go read. Link below. So I wont tell you how great it is, but I can tell you why I designed it and if that is the kind of usage you are looking for then you have a winner.

Actually here is an article I wrote that talks about who should consider owning a survival bow. https://www.survivalarcherysystems.com/blogs/survival_bow. Hope it helps in your decision.

To be precise though, the SAS bow is the only bow on the market that packs down to 21" (so you can even fit it into most daypacks), was engineered to last a lifetime (I am an automotive engineer) and that has integral arrow storage to protect your arrows during transport. No other bow on the market solves the problem of arrow transport as ours does. In fact, when the arrows are inside the riser they take up no additional space. I see the guys here giving some suggestions about other bows and I think those are good shooting bows especially for the price you will pay, but you must ask yourself if they are going to do what you intend them to do if you plan to carry them in a backpack together with arrows. If that is your plan then I do not suggest such bows as the limbs are too long, take up too much valuable space and you still don't have a plan for your arrows that will take up more space. That is key when you are on the move as space is critical as you well know.

And if you wonder how it shoots? Here is a little critter I shot with my bow on a recent trip to Africa. The arrow went right through. Hope this all helps in your decision to buy the correct bow for yourself? If you decide to purchase they are currently on sale for $199.95 at https://www.survivalarcherysystems.com/products/survival_bow

IMG_5657 (900x675).jpg

10. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, the #1 factor I was looking at on those bows is their ability to fold down extremely compactly. :dblthumb:

I wanted to keep one in the back of my little jeep.

Alex1, Plainsman and Doug Shadwell like this.
  11. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one that I shoot recreationally. I am not a bow hunter so I cant compare it to other styles. With some practice, for me, it becomes very easy and intuitive to shoot. Some day I want to try try to do some hunting with it, not this year though.

As far as price. Its aluminum that is fit very precisely with its components. All the parts are high end and meant to last. Its up to you whether its worth the price but the price is absolutely comparable to other products with similar grade parts.

alukban, Plainsman and Doug Shadwell like this.
  12. jaybird14

jaybird14 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure the SAS bow is a great item, I do not have one. I do have a Samick Sage take down @ 50# and I love shooting it. I got it last January and will hunt with it this fall. I loose wood arrows too. :)
    The Samick is a little loud though.
    Both would be fun.!!
    Jaybird

13. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I put some string silencers on my Sage 35#, using a fastflight Flemish twist string, as well as put some of the loop side of stick on velcro right below the limb tips, where the string contacts.. that quieted mine down a lot. Also be aware, brace height can change the loudness of your bow IMMENSELY. So you may need to check and adjust that to quiet it down more.

The SAS is great, for what it is and what it is meant for. Is it a full-time bow for recreation, target shooting and hunting? I don't think so, but it COULD fit that role. Really I think it works best as a small package hunting or emergency bow where the arrows pack down with it in a tight assembly.

Packing the arrows with it, however is really the only advantage I see. A Samick Sage like I have and has been recommended ad nauseum all over the internet, has a 19" riser... 21.5" limbs.. so whole package, stuffed into a sleeve/sack takes up only that 21.5" of length in terms of space. Arrows are going to depend on their length as dictated by your draw length, but given the Sage, you really aren't going to be shooting more than 30 or 31 inch arrows. Use break-down pack-able arrows and that issue goes away.. only caveat is you have to carry it all in a sleeve/bag/sack or something; but that "something" can double as your arrow quiver if you pick it right.

Really, unless you need an ultra durable, packable bow for those times when you're like "Oh crap! Quick, I need to kill something with a bow and arrow! Grab me the SAS bow and assemble the arrows, fast!" because you didn't have your regular archery stuff with you.. and let's face it, how many times does that really happen?

Except packed as a "just in case" prepper type survival item, I don't see the appeal for a $200 aluminum bow. But that's just me. Doesn't mean it's not a cool item, or works as expected and intended... I just don't see the practicality for most people.

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.