Sassafras seed

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by buroak, Aug 7, 2009.

1. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a lot of sassafras trees and they are loaded with seed this year. Some years they have little or no seed. If anyone would like to have some seed to plant, PM me and I will send you some. Don’t wait too long because they fall off the trees and are gone soon after they ripen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. George Hedgepeth

George Hedgepeth Guest

Blog Posts:
    You can use those for a substitute for allspice.

3. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cool. I dont think I have ever seen one bear fruit/seed.

4. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Bur if you don't mind sending me a packet I'd appreciate it!
    We have some hereabouts but it does not spread very far and it seems to not bear fruit much?:confused:
    PMZ

5. BIGOX

BIGOX Guest

Blog Posts:
    I just checked a bunch here in PA and I can't find any fruit or even stems for fruit. :confused:

6. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I dusted off a book from my library, Seeds of Woody Plants in North America, by James A. Young and Cheryl G. Young.

Per the book on Sassafras albidum:

"...the minimum seed-bearing age is 10 years..."

"Fruits may be picked from the trees or knocked to ground cloths. The are green before maturity, and a change to dark blue indicates they are ready for collection. The pulpy flesh can be removed by rubbing the fruits over hardware cloth or by mechanical maceration..."

"To prevent deterioration, the cleaned seeds should be placed in storage soon after cleaning. Seeds in sealed containers stored at cool temperatures maintain viability for a few seasons."

"...the seeds exhibit strong embryo dormancy, which can be overcome with prechilling for 120 days."

7. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  8. BIGOX

BIGOX Guest

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic! Thank you that is very helpful!

I was looking for some Osage Orange to make a walking stick last year. A local game warden told me he only knew of three trees in the whole county but one of them was only a few miles from my parents house and belonged to a old friend of my fathers. He let me collect all the fruit I wanted and now I have about 80 saplings planted in recycled 2 liter bottles and kitty litter pails. When they outgrow them I will transplant them to the woods but I am trying to give them as much of a head start on the deer as I can. I made a slurry out of the rest of the fruit and poured it in a shallow furrow in a fence line but I didn't see anything coming up the last time I checked.

I would like to propagate some Sassafras, Sweet gum and maybe a few others for fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009