Savage 24C question (selector)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chasntuna, Jul 9, 2018.

1. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I have ADD and can not make it through the sea of vague answers to my question, I need your clear and direct input .

I have a 24C-DL in .22mag/20g with the side button selector. The internals of the selector have disintegrated. Can I convert the selector to a hammer select?

Thanks

savage99nc, Cwlongshot and A K Church like this.
  2. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes.

For a long time Gun Parts sold the parts as a package to do just what you need to do. Don't know if they still do. But with the right parts, it's a pretty easy gunsmith installation.

3. Bent Chile

Bent Chile Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just had my 24 repaired, side selector crapped out so I took it to a local smith. I told him I was in no hurry so don't halfass it, he couldn't find OEM parts but some aftermarket almost the same parts that he was able to rework slightly with a file and get it all working again. Cost about $40. The gun looks (from the outside) and functions as it should.

chasntuna and savage99nc like this.
  4. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting. I didn't think the C came along until after they'd stopped using the side selector. If you don't mind, could you post pics? I'd like them for my OCD collection of combination gun data, lol.

In answer to your question:

Yes, but you have to replace the whole hammer of course, and it's pretty difficult to compress the mainspring to do it, without a special tool. The hammer off the Savage 242 (O/U .410) ought to be the same, too, if that's cheaper to buy, but I may be wrong on that. I know the 24V and the 242 share the same receiver, so I am making assumptions.

The designs were changed a bit over the years, but mostly with the barrel assemblies. AFAIK the hammers remained interchangeable the whole time, even though the frames changed. I have four 24s, ranging from the late 50s to the mid 80s, and the hammers all look the same on them to me. An exception might be the 24S (very very different frame from the others), but I can't confirm that. I'm not man enough to take mine apart and see, as I don't think it can be done without it being a real pain to get back together.

chasntuna likes this.
  5. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Yes as stated absolutely you can do that and Brownells used to sell the parts. Might be a Gun Parts Corp thing now...

I have exactly this gun and it has had its hammer swapped out and the selector is on the Hammer Like Polecat mentioned.

It works just fine. Not quite as sexy, but ultimeately functional.

CW

chasntuna likes this.
  6. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Just so I am sure which gun you are talking about, is this an 18" barrel model with the ammo trap in the buttstock, or is it an early model with the receiver engraving of the hunting scene, 24" barrels, and a regular buttplate?

chasntuna likes this.
  7. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was not aware a DLX model was offered in a 18” bbl PoleCat.
    I thought it was only a nickle receiver engraved.

CW

chasntuna and Polecat like this.
  8. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    To my knowledge, the side selector buttons crapped out on so many of the different 24's that Savage ended up just sending the new hammer assembly as the replacement. I've had 3, all break in the same spot, just like every other model that came from the factory with it. Love the gun, hate the selector button mechanism.

chasntuna and Cwlongshot like this.
  9. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that's what's making me think that the 24C-DL must be an early deluxe model, not the usual 24C "Camper" except with a side selector. It's can't be super early, though, as the .22 WMR wasn't invented until 1959 as I recall. I was thinking like they'd stopped using the side selector before '59, so it's weirding me out! Haha.

I wonder if they were still making some transitional models post-'59 until the parts ran out.

10. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a R&D Camper... pre production with a hammer selector.

So they where testing this way and somehow decided to go with side selector.

Too bad all those records burned...

CW

chasntuna likes this.
  11. woodchopper

woodchopper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The 24c is the one with the butt trap. It came out about 1970 or 71. I was home on leave for Christmas and orderd one for my girlfriend. Savage was behind on orders and then went on a extended labor strike. I picked up the gun one year later when home on leave. Mrs Woodchopper still loves that little gun. I think the side selector was gone long before that.

12. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses. I'm out of town now so cant post pics, but it is a 24c-dl, not a camper. It's got the nickel receiver with engraving and is side select .22wmr/20g

13. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    That's very interesting. I'd seen "24C"s without the ammo trap, but I'd assumed that they were replacement stocks (these guns do like to crack at the wrist).

I guess I was wrong! :D