Sawfish kayak

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by Rowerwet, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago I created a design for a kayak made out of XPS foam insulation board. I built the first one and after flogging it for months, released the design for anyone to build, all I ask is a picture of the finished boat, along with the general area you use it in.
    Over 20 have been built at this point, and I pictures of new boats almost every month.
    I've gone on to build 7 more, selling two and giving three to relatives.
    Two weeks ago my son and I launched two new sawfish kayaks, my 12 yr old had built his over the past winter as I taught him to, and I launched my tandem Sawfish.
    20170629_100516.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Since the hull is made of foam with a painted fabric skin, it is very light, approximately 25 lbs, I was still amazed to turn around and see my son carrying his own 12 foot kayak to the car.

20170629_094210.jpg he is quite proud of his boat and loves to show how easy it is and tell everyone that he built it.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Those are awesome! I'm going to look them up now. Tell your son that's awesome boat.

Rowerwet likes this.
  4. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The full design and instructions can be found by googling "sawfish kayak".
    I've taken the original sawfish on the Atlantic Ocean, mild whitewater (Saco River), and any local lakes and rivers with a path from parking to the edge of the water.
    As soon as we got back from launching our new kayaks, I loaded up the family, we drove to Boston Harbor and took our new kayaks, and the plywood kayak my daughter built last year on a paddle out to one of the Boston Harbor Islands.
    My wife and I paddle the tandem, carrying our six year old in the stern.
    We had reservations at Rollins pond in the Adirondacks, but stayed home to avoid the rain.
    The next paddle was on the Concord river, we passed under the battle bridge, then paddled up to the railroad bridge.
    Our youngest stunned the canoe livery there by finding that she can stand on the aft deck with no issues, as the boat is very stable. I can also stand in the boat, but probably not on the aft deck. 20170701_143510.jpg

5. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Carrying between ponds in the Adirondacks is a breeze as I can carry sawfish on one shoulder, and the seat and paddle in the other hand.
    I found I spent more time explaining what my boat was, than actually carrying it. 20170702_191255.jpg
    These are the second and third sawfish built, I designed them to be light and stable, for my parents, (67 & 69) they had plastic kayaks, but could no longer lift them.
    They got the 5th and 6th to be finished, but actually the second and third to be made.
    They've been enjoying them a few years now, paddling in Northeast MA, and southern ME.

6. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
  7. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thats awesome! Where do you get the foam board from? Id very much like the design if you are willing to share. Id like to see if it is something that I could attempt or not.

EDIT: I saw you posted it as I was typing this.

alukban and Rowerwet like this.
  8. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    20170701_144135.jpg
    One question I could never answer was how long does it take to build a sawfish, I never tracked my time, as I build multiple kayaks at once.
    I tracked my sons build time, turns out I came up with only 21 hours from start to launch. This was in one to two hour sessions, my fastest builder did it in 10 days, I think a week might be possible, but you have to plan carefully around glue cure times.
    the design uses no fiberglass or epoxy, which is good because I build in a 40 degree basement.

9. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are on Facebook search for Rowerwet, that is the page with the latest on my projects, the instructable is the most up to date place to get what you need to build a foamie kayak.

alukban, SmilinJoe and crewhead05 like this.
  10. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is perfect timing. I have been looking at getting a kayak but i think im going to give this a shot.

alukban likes this.
  11. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cool! Looking forward to a launch picture!

alukban and crewhead05 like this.
  12. Thadf

Thadf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for doing this.

I need to make some stabilizers for my plastic canoe. This will help me immensely. Heck, I might end up with another kayak after I learn on the smaller stabilizers.

Thanks again

Rowerwet, alukban and crewhead05 like this.
  13. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is great! I saw a few videos and did some reading. People have even made ultralight campers with the foam and cloth coating. I am hoping to build a boat or 2 soon. This is the method I will use. I have made a couple plywood boats, this looks like a lot of fun.
    Do you have plans/photos of the tandem? I would love to try one and put it on Pushaw lake here in Maine.

alukban likes this.
  14. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    How big a boat could you build with this method? What if you sandwich luan plywood between a couple layers of foam? Could you make a boat the size of a john boat or possibly a duck boat?

alukban likes this.
  15. keviincoffey

keviincoffey Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Super cool, I'll add it to the boats I need to get around to building... I need more space. Only got this small backyard in Philly and I already go two boats stuffed back there.

16. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am so going to build one @Rowerwet !

This is ridiculously awesome! :dblthumb::35::7::57::4:

Rowerwet likes this.
  17. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I created the sawfish to learn for my foam camper build. We've camped a few times in the foam teardrop, you can find more on tnttt.com in the foamies section.
    The tandem is built the same way sawfish is, just with 4 feet extra in the cockpit, so the bottom is 16 feet instead of 12.
    After paddling the sawfish 16 for a few weeks now, I think a 14 foot sawfish would be the best length for a tandem, with an 8 foot cockpit, unless you want the extra length for gear or kid hauling

Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  18. Rowerwet

Rowerwet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You can build any size, as long as you figure out how to reinforce the foam :)

Bridgetdaddy likes this.
  19. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i feel your pain, brother.