sccy cpx3 anyone?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jstert, Aug 18, 2019.

1. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    i’m mostly a revolver guy but i have a bersa thunder 380 acp single stack that i’m done with. it’s handy enough to be a ccw but it religiously chews up the web of my shooting hand, despite dremeling sharp edges, changing my grip, etc...so it’s gotta go.

so i’m maybe in the market for a 380acp to replace the bersa. my wants: south of $300. big enough to absorb recoil, i don’t enjoy snappy guns. no need to pocket carry, but handy enough to be a lawful, occasional ccw in gun unfriendly suburbs. reliable, not finicky. mag capacity 10 rounds max. decent manufacturer support. i know that 9mm ammo is cheaper than 380acp, but i worry about the fatiguing recoil of 9mm in my desired pistol size for the extended 300+ round practice sessions that i consider to be mandatory for a ccw. oh and i bought alot of 380acp ammo at a cheap price that i would like to use.

my internet search has led me to the sccy cpx3. i handled one and its thicker grip feels good. i found an away shooting range that has a cpx3 for rent and i will make the trek soon. are there any other options for me, ideally that i can rent at this range? thanks!

2. jordanzwon1

jordanzwon1 Husband, Father, Christ Follower Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don’t have the CPX3 but I do have a CPX2 which is the 9mm. While I can’t speak to the 3 I can tell you sccy as a company is great. I have beat this gun up and down and will go bang every time I pull the trigger. Also had one small issue that was totally my fault and their customer service is amazing. Paid for shipping both ways and had everything fixed up and dialed in in no time.

For the price if your not looking for anything special, you can’t go wrong with a sccy.

jstert likes this.
  3. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Bersa BP380 . Theres those surplus 32 acp 81's too in your price range.

[​IMG]

Do you do 300 round practice sessions with your revolvers every time too?

4. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    See if you can find a decent used Sig P230/P232 in your price range. Excellent handling and ergonomics, not small like LCP, TCP etc.

5. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    i rented a few 380s today. here are some quick thoughts:

sccy cpx3: quite decent. chunky. soft recoil. if i was younger and poorer i would be happy with one.
    s&w shield ez. e.a.s.y. everything, lives up to its hype. nice controls including a safety. pricier. if i were a nongunner who wanted one centerfire semiauto pistol the ez would be it.
    taurus spectrum: not as snappy as i expected. too small for much range use. tiny controls. not bad.
    s&w bodyguard. also not bad at all and also too small for me.
    sig p238: very smooth. expensive. small. little recoil.
    ruger lcp: way too snappy.
    glock g42: too small. no safety.

for me the shield ez comes in first place. best compromise of ease of use, size, price, controls, subdued recoil. a little above my intended budget but worth it to shop around for a good deal.

1773 likes this.
  6. trentu

trentu Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been pretty happy with the Kahr CW380. Low recoil. Reliable feed. Small enough for pocket carry but I prefer an ankle holster. Doesn't break the bank either.

7. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Makarov ! Just a bit to big for pocket carry (jmho) heavy enough to absorb recoil, big enough to handle like a real handgun but small enough to be convenient, made of steel not tuppaware;), under 10 in the mag. reliable to the point of boring. ( if ya like showing off how good a malfunction drills ya are)