Scho-Ka-Kola hot chocolate?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by jesseinthebush, Jul 14, 2019.

1. jesseinthebush

jesseinthebush Tracker

Blog Posts:
    so i saw in another thread that someone mentioned using it for hot chocolate. does it work? and if so is it more of a play around with it or has someone done the playing aleady to know how many wedges to use with a certain amount of water?

2. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got one wedge left and now I'm thinking that I need to try this. Thanks!

3. Dscythe

Dscythe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Following this thread for scientific reasons...

bacpacjac and Beach Hiker like this.
  4. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had to look it up. Caffeine content must really be high:

.0 out of 5 starsDelicious! --> but don't feed it to your kids hahaha
    November 10, 2018
    Verified Purchase
    Oh wow... I'm eating this as I write... first bite and everything. This chocolate is fantastic! The texture is spot on -- the dark chocolate snaps in your mouth which means it's been tempered perfectly. As I chew and the chocolate begins to melt the rich flavors really begin to shine. This is a full-bodied, bittersweet cocoa with a slightly roasted taste (which definitely comes from the coffee) and a something else that tastes familiar... maybe that's the Kola nut? Whatever it is, those flavors together make a hecking good chocolate!
    This is easily one of the best chocolates I've tasted. I'm a Chef and Sommelier, so food and drink are my life and livelihood >>> trust, this is great stuff!
    I really like the packaging, too. Nice vintage look, but also super convenient. The metal tin keeps the chocolate safe, and doesn't disintegrate when bounced around in my pocketbook. Oh wait... here comes the caffeine kick... wow! That's an excellent little perk!
    Cons: yeah, Scho-ka-kola has a history to it, which makes eating this brand a bit eerie. Read the story of this brand before buying and make your own informed decision. I actually struggled with it for a bit, but finally made a choice I feel ok with.
    I say buy the chocolate for chocolates sake and enjoy a great quality ADULT candy.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Sarotti-Scho-Ka-Kola-Cho-cola-100g/dp/B00313TXTC

5. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got my first can of this two weeks ago. It tastes pretty good and the caffeine and whatever buzz is kind of in the background and not that noticeable unless of course you try to go to sleep within 5 hours of eating it...

6. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac :p nom nom... BTW the Hasslachers 100% Colombian Cacao (chocolate buttons or bar) are bitter tasting, eaten raw these have a healing effect related to migraine headaches. :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

[​IMG]

highlander, freebirdfb, Jean and 2 others like this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I bought a can of milk and a can of dark. Been eating it and like it. Every few nights I eat two pieces and about 30 min later I’m in bed asleep. I don’t understand the effects of caffeine.

This looks awesome!

freebirdfb, bacpacjac and DavidJAFO like this.
  8. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @BlueDogScout I GAW to my Cousin @bacpacjac both types of chocolate the tinned Scho-ka-kola for FSK tins er.. em.. I mean storing small bit's n' bobs & the Colombian chocolate for drinking chocolate & cooking, great for chillis. Some time ago I read & watched a tv chef presenter discuss the attributes of the cacao dark chocolate from Colombia. It is very bitter to taste (an acquired taste) within the content of the series he did mention that it was used as a stimulant & good for headaches etc... as a lad we were given cacao with warm milk as a bedtime drink. Caffeine is considered a stimulant, this could work for you or against you. It has the ability to speed up your central nervous system, increase your alertness & help improve your memory. However, too much caffeine can give you the “jitters,” increase your blood pressure, make you nauseous & cause insomnia.
    Regards
    David

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    freebirdfb and bacpacjac like this.
  9. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I have a wicked headache today so I'm going to try a few of the Columbian drinking chocolate buttons. Great idea, Cousin @DavidJAFO! (I've used Shokakola Red for the same purpose before.) If it doesn't work on my head it still tastes amazing! I just love this stuff. I use it in my weekly pot of chili. :)

P7197327.JPG

freebirdfb and DavidJAFO like this.
  10. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac in my experience it does work. I just popped a handful in my gob chewed BG-style :34:Oops! ($1.00c in the swear jar) the headache was gone. It could be the extra additive from that other imfamous product from Colombia :27: LOL
    Regards
    David

highlander, freebirdfb and bacpacjac like this.
  11. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your Latin American grocers will have a variety of unsweetened chocolates for drinking. I mix them with coffee, straight up is an acquired taste.

12. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I did the very same. :D It might be psychosomatic but I think it's working already. Maybe there is a secret Colombian ingredient.... HAHAH!!

highlander, freebirdfb and DavidJAFO like this.
  13. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Interesting history of the name:

World War II Wehrmacht-issue rations[edit]
    In World War II, Scho-Ka-Kola was colloquially known as the "Aviator Chocolate" (German Fliegerschokolade), as it was commonly provided with Luftwaffe pilot and crew rations, to induce or extend wakefulness and alertness, especially on night-bombing missions, and was also issued to flight-crews in blue canisters as emergency sea-survival rations (German Seenotpackung).

[​IMG]
    Original retail canister in 1941, scho-ka-kola printed in lowercase Frakturcalligraphy.
    Scho-Ka-Kola was also issued during World War II to German tank crews, as well as German U-boat crews and the German Army. During the occupation period it was also distributed to the German population by the Allies. German Wehrmacht-issue World War II Scho-Ka-Kola tin containers are highly sought after by collectors.

Scho-Ka-Kola is mentioned three times in Johann Voss's World War II autobiography, Black Edelweiss. "Johann Voss", real name unknown, joins the Waffen-SS in 1943 at only 17. He ends up in Northern Finland as an SS mountain ranger, and participates in heavy fighting against the Russians. When things go particularly bad, round tin boxes of Scho-Ka-Kola are issued to the troops. He also claims that during the Battle of the Bulge(particularly, the town of Reipertsweiler, in which Voss participated in a German victory), Scho-Ka-Kola was given to captured American troops as an act of respect for their bravery. Voss details Scho-Ka-Kola in the footnotes, calling the chocolate "pure luxury" and explains that each round tin contains two discs of dark chocolate, laced with caffeine from coffee beans.

Additional facts[edit]
    [​IMG]
    Blue canister milk chocolate version
    • In addition to the usual bitter-sweet dark chocolate in a red-white container, there is also a milk chocolate variant in a blue-white container and a milk chocolate hazelnut variant in a green-white container.
    • Until recently, each container originally consisted of two individually stacked circular chocolate platters, embossed in a cake like shape and portioning, where each individual embossed portion had to be broken-off for consumption.
    • A container of 100 grams has a caffeine content of about 200 mg. Since each container contains 16 individual embossed portions, each portion has a caffeine content of about 12.5 mg caffeine.
    • Current containers indicate "6 portions of Scho-Ka-Kola contain about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee". This amount corresponds with about the caffeine content of energy drinks (80 mg per 250 ml). An earlier packaging label read: "4 portions of Scho-Ka-Kola contain about as much caffeine as a strong espresso" (approximately 50 mg).

freebirdfb, DavidJAFO and bacpacjac like this.
  14. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @Jean I picked up the Colombian chocolate from one of our larger grocery stores here in the UK & traded for the Scho-Ka-Kola via a Veteran buddy. :)
    Regards
    David

bacpacjac likes this.