School me on 80CRV2

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Mr. Tettnanger, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a used MP Classic with 80CRV2 steel. I'm not sure that this knife is going to stay home with me or continue on its journey in the wild. It is a neat BRUTE of a knife!

What can you tell me about this steel? Is it strong? Is it a stainless variety? I really don't know anything about it!

9F57A6AF-D64D-461C-8427-020C20FA3E17.jpeg

sweet trav, Merk3030, Gumbi and 11 others like this.
  2. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Non stainless, Matt's heat treat is really good. Will take a scary edge, will handle abuse well, I haven't tried to beat it through something like a chain link, but I have smashed it through some really hard and knotty wood.

Merk3030, Gumbi, 08H3 and 10 others like this.
  3. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Like monkeynono said, not stainless.
    I have an MP in this steel also.
    I assume it is a low carbide steel, it takes a very fine edge and holds up well. Maybe similar to 52100 in that aspect? It's always dangerous to compare two steels that way, but I'm just trying to give you something to go on.

Mine is a smaller puukko so I can't comment on toughness, and for the way I use knives toughness is low on my list of concerns.

The short version, I've been very pleased with mine.

4. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

I remember when Matt switched from 1095 to 80crv2. It’s tough stuff.

Gumbi, JasonJ, stillscout and 11 others like this.
  5. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic

Blog Posts:
    Hi Mr T. - 80CRV2 is a really fun steel. It forges well, which is why you often see it in forged knives. (O1 is easy to heat treat really well, which is why it is often used by home-smiths.) I would say it is pretty similar to O1. 80CRV2 is a little tougher, but also dulls a little quicker than O1. Both sharpen pretty easily, both take a very keen edge, and both - if done right - make excellent knives. Personally, I really like that O1 and 80CRV2 aren't chippy and are easy to sharpen. The 80CRV2 knives I've owned have gotten sharper than the O1s I've owned, but the 2 80CRV2 knives I've owned had VERY different geometries than the O1s, so that may not be from the steel.

Anyways, all that to say... I like 80CRV2. If I was a blade smith and was looking to forge a knife, that's probably where I'd start. I have a puukko blade in 80CRV2 sitting on my counter waiting for a handle, and that thing pops hairs. :):):):):):):):):)

JasonJ, M.Hatfield, 08H3 and 4 others like this.
  6. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
  7. Phantom X

Phantom X Jack-of-all-trades Vendor Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My absolute favorite steel. I believe its a modified spring steel. I have 80CrV2 from MP, Gossman, Wenger, Malanika, 2 Arrows and I'm making a knife out of it as well.

It takes a fantastic edge and it lasts. it has been fairly stain resistant in my uses, but I don't use it on food.

Matt and Scott have both done a good bit of testing with it. Both have botoned steel with it I believe.

20180915_130305.jpg

colter, Berner9, JasonJ and 9 others like this.
  8. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Skrama which uses this steel and it is tough. It's been used to knock out chunks of fatwood with no edge chipping at all which is saying something. That stuff can be like a cross between steel and glass to a blade.

9. nograveconcern

nograveconcern Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Simple carbon steel at .8 percent with a little extra summ'n summ'n over regular 1080. Tuff, easy to sharpen, fine edge, average wear resistance, rusts like non stainless.

I'm a big fan of Matt's work and what he does with 80crv2.

10. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    ^What these guys said. I have three knives in this steel and they all perform very similarly to 01, except they don't chip easily and they dull just a bit quicker. Excellent hard use steel in my eyes.

Sweet knife by the way. Love the blade shape paired with that type of handle.

11. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the information fellas. Thank you!

12. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    M.Hatfield, JasonJ and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  13. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    80CrV2 is an improved tougher spring steel over 5160...my favorite leuku is made of this, and it was tested prior to shipping for ability to chop, carve, and drill moose antler, and then still slice paper.

It is far cleaner and finer grained than 5160, with improved toughness at higher hardness, as well as abrasion resistance. The chromium increased edge retention and retards rust in comparison to plain unalloyed 1095, but only an improvement, and no rust proofing at all.

It is a VERY good non-stainless for hard use knives, and actually among the very best for such.

Caveat, IF heat treat is proper. If you tire of that knife, you give me a holler.

14. Frederick89

Frederick89 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've just finished carving a sugar spoon, from one year seasoned silver fir, with a a puukko in 80CrV2, tempered to 62 HRC, 19° inclusive with just a hair of microbevel. The edge is absolutely pristine and still hair popping sharp. The maker is probably the same that forged @mtngunr leuku: I think I recognize the tests.

JasonJ and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  15. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing else to say about it that hasn't been said. Tough, tougher than 5160, O1, or 1095.

My only two knives in this steel are the Terava knives... I wish I had more. A hatchet or small axe in this steel tempered to a lower HRC would be pretty sweet.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  16. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some of the most respected ABS names with MS after those names are discovering 80CrV2 and moving to it, over 5160 for "failure is not an option" knives, after doing their own reduction forging, tempering, and destructive tests on finished blades..some may see no need of a change for many buyers, but the steel is superior, without a doubt.

17. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    a have a Lauri leuku and a SH puukko in that steel it holds up really well. It doesn’t seem impressively rust resistant to me. I had some rust on it after cleaning some trout with my Puukko.

18. Area FiftyOne

Area FiftyOne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    AA Forge has been using 80CrV2 in their line for a while. I like 5160 and 80CrV2 even better for carbon steel knives.

GoKartz likes this.
  19. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    It's sharp. It's Matt Paul knife. You'll love it ;)

20. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you manage to break it, it is most certainly your fault. 80crv2 is some crazy tough stuff! Lauri uses it in all their stuff including the PT line (harder edge softer spine). Lauri makes the Kellam Wolverine, Kellam Puukko, Lauri blanks, and Terava blades both large and small.

21. nograveconcern

nograveconcern Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yeah it certainly will rust from what I've seen. I took @mtngunr 's comment to mean the improvement in corrosion resistance is only a very very small one.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  22. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've beaten the heck out of my Skrama and its held up well. Its still in one piece which is always a good sign. Of the two nicks I've put in the blade's edge then thats from hitting metal at full whack. The edge lasts a days worth of work if not longer, light work then weeks. Easy to get back to evil sharp.
    Now these and the Terava range are made in batches of two to three hundred at a time and made to a price...bargain.

If I leave one outside in the damp grass overnight, or a few days, then the rust shows. Rust and resin from the work take a scotchbrite scouring pad to remove. No big deal.
    Leave in the shed for a few weeks from a stupid super keen sharpen then a wipe over a strop is needed to return to best. I get this with any carbon non stainless as any moiture in the air will get a reaction that takes the ultimate edge off over time. Doesn;t help that my shed isn't bone dry. A dollop of oil or wax helps, candle wax will do.

I'm impressed with the steel and can live with the maintenance. This steel is for work.

Now a custom maker making the design you want would be a joy in this steel. If is not going to be a drawer queen then a worked blade should take on a patina that will show its history. Will after a while look like some heirloom, something from the past. I quite like that look.
    If you are looking for something pretty that will look the same ten years down the line then a more stainless steel would probably be better. Anything you want to give grief on then this steel is a fine choice.

23. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is correct. I have an unproven assumption that if high grade Euro 80CrV2 is used, AND it heat treated properly, AND it a cleaner steel as is Euro, AND it finer grained as is the steel in comparison to 1095 and 5160, .....THEN, rust will be less a problem as for deep scale and pitting, and it generally be prone to lighter surface coats of rust, rather than being put out of commission by a deeply pitted edge out in the boonies.

When wilderness guides in Finland use the stuff, you kinda figure it holds up good enough to get someone through several weeks of a rough life, even away from best of care or environment.

24. TStilwell

TStilwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my estimation it is way tougher than 5160, and will hold an edge as well as or better than O1.
    It will rust pretty dang quick.
    If done right, and I’m certain Matt’s is, it will be dang near impossible to break under extra normal use.
    It is a German steel predominantly used in sawing and ripping type, and shearing operations. It’s got good carbon, vanadium and other spices to add good flavor. I liked to leave it a bit harder than normal for most applications due to its toughness, it can stand it, and it gets better edge retention at the higher hardness.
    I tried to break my test blade in use, man I tried, I left it almost as hard as it came from the quench, and it still bent almost 45 degrees before it broke.

25. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Mr. Tettnanger trust me, you'll like it. It's tough, holds an edge well and is a great simple carbon steel. I harden and temper mine to 59/60.
    Scott

26. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    62 HRC? Dang. Bet that’s going to be fun to sharpen.

The hardest I’ve had was 61 on some old Puma folders. They weren’t too bad because of the rather extreme hollow grind. I wouldn’t look forward to having to remove metal across all the flat bevel of a 62 HRC scandi.

But, then, you said it has a bit of micro bevel. I guess if you avoid knicks and just have to touch up the micro bevel it wouldn’t be bad.

27. Frederick89

Frederick89 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Resharpening is not an issue actually. I really like 80CrV2 the most at its higher hardness, since it gets an edge holding comparable to 52100 at same geometry and hardness, still being quick to resharpen. I keep my puukkos stropped, unless there are chips requiring stones.

GoKartz, buckfynn and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  28. Gruntinhusaybah

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a bar of 3/16" x 2 1/2" to make some big beasts from...

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  29. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My buddy just built a forge and is learning to make stuff out at his farm. Yesterday he sent me a pic of the knife he made for me out of 80crv2:
    IMG_20180918_052149.jpg
    Depending on his heat treatment, it looks like it has potential. Obviously needs a few sessions with the files, but I think it's a good start!

30. House of Horst

House of Horst Have knife, will travel Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tucked in the WV Eastern Panhandle Appalachians
    RMJ Tactical just switched most of their tomahawks over to 80CrV2 for this reason. ;)

M.Hatfield, Mr. Tettnanger and JasonJ like this.
  31. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    AA4C0AAC-F7C6-4C42-8433-C379D9BAA80A.jpeg 53DDFC5D-F8EB-4D12-91CA-C498D42888A0.jpeg Here are my two knives in this steel.

Richinva, GoKartz, M.Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  32. riokid87

riokid87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My concern is the heat treatment. This is more than quenching and tempering. It includes reaching the right temp to forge w/o creating stress fractures and post forging normalization to reduce grain size.
    Bottom line: to get steel at it's full potential requires a means to controll temperature. Without that you are better off to stick to 1080/84 purchased in an anneiled normalized state and use stock removal to shape the knife. Most steels need to be heated beyond their hardening temp To forge them. After that you must normalize them To reach full potential. To get 1080/84 to its full potential is better than another steel at say 85%of its potential. Just my opinion.

Ptpalpha likes this.
  33. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    80crv2 is often referred to as 1080+ because it is so similar. It is well known as being easy to forge and very forgiving on heat treating. Some steels need extremely specific heating and quenching times and temps and some aren't as picky to produce an excellent blade. 80crv2 and 15n20 are both 2 that are cheap, easy to forge, and easy to heat treat. It really is a great beginner steel.

Gruntinhusaybah, GoKartz and Ptpalpha like this.
  34. riokid87

riokid87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Concern is normalizing after forging and 80crv2 needs a 10 minute soak while 1080/84 does not to get optimum results.

35. Gruntinhusaybah

Blog Posts:
    Where did you get that from?

36. riokid87

riokid87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Several blade maker forums and one tech data site I can't find now. I was reading up on a couple weeks ago.