School me on portable Solar.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Myr1ad, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will be staying off grid with friends for several weeks. I need your real world experience with portable solar panels, to keep an iPad charged. Their system barely handles their needs so I want to brin my own. It needs to be small enough to pack in. I already have some battery banks so I just need a solar panel with a USB port. My budget requires me to be under $75, but hope to be closer to $50. I have been reading reviews and specs, but what I really need is your personal experience both good and bad, to help narrow the field. I only have about a week to do this so bonus if it is Amazon Prime.
    How big a panel do I really need? Specifically for an IPad? How durable are they? Brands that held up, and brands that fell apart. Help me narrow the field, please.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention regarding this matter.

2. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No personal experience but I know this person and he uses one extensively. Skip to 13:54 for his choice

Myr1ad and mjh like this.
  3. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have several Anker folding panels and have found them to be competitive as far as efficiency goes. I'd suggest you get the largest Anker panel you can afford. Is it large enough? Well this is winter time with a lower sun angle which results in reduced energy along with the often cloudy days. Take all the battery banks you have fully charged. Good luck.

Myr1ad likes this.
  4. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart

Blog Posts:
    Hi
    How mobile do you need to be?
    How handy are you with electronics?
    Just an Ipad? or other things as well?

5. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    I need to hike in all of my belongings, in one trip. So consider it the same as a one week backpacking trip.
    Fairly handy, I can solder and know my way around a multi meter.
    Primary use is an iPad, but I would want to charge my battery banks, and my phone. So, yea multiple different items.

6. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    Myr1ad likes this.
  7. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have several small Anker battery packs. I have found a few smaller ones to be more flexible and useful than one large one. One can be charging while another is being used, or multiple devices can be charged while still keeping them mobile. We use them when the family travels for our business. When you have one large pack it forces everything to stay in one spot and ends up like a big octopus. With several small ones you can hand them out to whoever needs them for whichever device.

8. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got this one for charging our electronics, including AA and AAA cells. Note that the iPad may say it isn’t charging, but from what I have found, if you put power in the lightning port, it does charge. Works for me.

5BF01C9F-D0AD-4FD9-8520-6CBD52B286D8.jpeg

That was the biggest capacity I could find in a truly portable unit. I wanted something large enough to power our good battery charger.
    I also got this to insure we can charge small cells quickly. It is also a power unit, powered by the cells you put in it. So, you can charge and use right from the same unit or use it as a normal charger.

D1C3C37A-2AD6-42B4-9A04-6C52BCEECA61.jpeg

reppans and Myr1ad like this.
  9. Meatybones

Meatybones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just recently bought one from a company called ADDTOP on Amazon. 25000mah, folds up to the size of an IPhone X something, ya don’t know which phone I have, about twice as thick as the phone with an Otterbox cover. I just now plugged it in for the first time. It is a battery pack so it will hold power. It is overcast and nasty out so there won’t be any testing of the solar ability today. I’m working on running it dry then start from zero.

Attached Files:

Myr1ad likes this.
  10. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few portable solar panels.

The only one that outputs what the spec says it outputs is by Suntactics. Little more than you want to pay, but buy once cry once.

Output verified by USB watt/current/voltage meter.

Charges my iPhone, iPad and other tablets and devices. It does show charging on all devices too. It is the one I use out of four. I have the S8.

Made in the USA too!

Suntactics S8 Ultralight Solar Charger, Quick Charge Phones, Power banks and many ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZFQUWO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_kbiwCbZK5BD9F

https://www.suntactics.com/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Myr1ad likes this.
  11. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    I should ask
    How fast a recharge do you need
    Because as many panels WILL charge an Ipad
    Some can take a long time to do it.

12. Bergziege_80

Bergziege_80 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Myr1ad likes this.
  13. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have used a couple of cheapies, with mixed results. A vital thing with any of them, is to keep it perpendicular to the sun, and move it as it goes. Can't look for it now, but some have multiple panels that swivel open like the pedals of a flower, with a hole in the center. You put a pencil/stick/rod/something in the hole, and keep it adjusted for minimum shadow.

14. kid_couteau

Blog Posts:
    Myr1ad likes this.