Scored an oldie but goodie today

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by possumjon, Aug 10, 2018.

1. possumjon

possumjon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Was up north at the beach today and they had one of those city wide vendor things set up on the main drag. Mostly clothes etc.but I spied this and some way over priced Victor long springs on a table. I knew nothing about it but recognized the name and saw made in USA stamp on it. No price tag on it so I walked away as Im not an asker. I came back and fondled it on the way out as they were closing up and the guy told me $9. What the heck why not.
    My Google-fu tells me it was a boy scout knife likely from the 50s or 60s from imperial. I could be wrong. Looks like an original sheath as wellMy the blade looks to be in good shape with a good patina. The little guard is a bit loose(any advice on how to fix that?!) Theres a small crack in the handle I'd like to fix(epoxy?) And I've never seen a sheath so flimsy
    What do you guys think? Score? I mean it was only $9 lol rps20180810_220523.jpg

2. x39

x39 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'd have thrown nine bucks for it too. I'll bet the steel is actually half decent and the guard was probably loose from the factory, LOL!

3. MTplainsman

MTplainsman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm betting the steel is pretty good too. I'd grid off those pins, pull that poor excuse for a guard off, and put on some new scales of your choice. I'd bet you'd have a great knife then! Just take a little effort... nice pick up though!

4. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I would have brought it home for $9.00. It’s still got a lot of work left in it. Nice score.

JohnP

5. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The steel is decent and the the guard was loose on the original I got as a kid in the late '60s.

This is my original scaler-back Imperial...with the original sheath and a replacement I made. It's in good shape as I was given a Buck 110 soon after and that became my goto knife.

[​IMG]

In a recent fit of nostalgia, I picked up several from ebay. The one in front will be a project blade with a longer handle and probably a better fitted guard.

[​IMG]

6. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice score. Prov 27:17

7. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Of course spork has a room full of these knives.

8. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The steel is 1095 and will take a nice slicing edge....they are a good candidate for re-handling as they are drill for pins already....as for the sheath just have fun and turn one out...Tandy leather used to have a "sheath in a bag" kit that would perfect for that blade...for $9 you did well...be well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have to say, I really dig your odd collections and gear specimens. You always have something interesting to share. I love it!

10. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mine had some sort of press wood fiber on the handle scales,and was badged "SABER" or maybe "SABRE". It was in a total crap sheath. The guard rattled.

It was not any sort of official BSA knife, at least at that time. I bought it at a drug store.

I broke the grips pretty quickly. Replaced them with flat leather scales on both sides, which I decorated by pressing coins in to the wet "scales", so the coins left behind an impression.

Those scales held up OK. I made a serviceable if still crappy sheath by stitching together sections of a wide belt with monofilament fishing line. And the guard didn't rattle.

I moved from here to SW Ohio for my MA in 85, failed due to drunkenness and depression, and moved back here in 86. Somewhere on those moves it was lost. Took a good edge. Looked like hammered dog vomit. I still envy you those things-the first one in the row of photos looks a lot like I remember mine looking before its modifications.

11. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My old man has a black handled one from when he was a kid. His guard was loose too, and as mentioned above they were probably all like that from the factory.

I tighten up loose guards on my junk shop found knives by wedge wrapping Berkley Fire line or other super lines into the gap. I keep winding it in until it fills the gap tight and then I smear a small amount of JB weld into the gap and wipe the excess off with a wet rag and make it flush to the handle. It will look better than factory new and be as tight fitting as ever. I did this to the pommels on some old bird and trout knives I have restored and I tightened up the guard on my Bolt knife the same way too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  12. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The first one on the left is actually a Utica Sportsman...very similar to the Imperials.

[​IMG]

13. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    ^^ - This- ^^

14. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As for the guard, a little silver solder and a propane torch can take of that if the scales ever come off...just a thought.

15. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Just knock off the scales and replace them with the material of your choice, fab up a new guard from brass or copper, and make some new pants for this baby and you will have a fine knife. Either for yourself or for a newbie looking to learn.

With a little love this will make a fine first fixed blade for a family member or child of a close friend who is interested in the outdoors.

16. Hoover77

Hoover77 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    F468196E-A482-4172-B022-C2FD31C022BF.jpeg 484E945E-42F3-4A66-9D50-6C321BE7777F.jpeg
    I got one of those!

17. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That ilk of knife was cursed by loose hilts and generally cheap handles. And it seems to be they were marketed towards kids more due to the lower price? Utica, Imperial, Hammer Brand.... I think there were others too, that all looked identical. Nothing wrong with the steel at all, although the blades are pretty thin.

Great knives, just largely underrated. I just picked one up not long ago with real bone scales. I think mine may be a kinfolks though. There is no maker stamp on it that I can see.

Sabre knives were made in Japan and were a copy of these. I had many adventures as a young boy with my Sabre genuine Bowie knife. :)

18. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knife, there ain't never been one made with a tight guard lad. Yours is fine. joe

19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had one of those as a boy, made by Imperial I think. Faux bone handles, loose guard. :). My Dad sawed a copper washer in half and helped me tap it in top and bottom to snug it up. Heck of a cutter, did many sun perch from cow ponds with it. No clue what or when I didn't have it anymore.

20. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    Mine has the black handle also. Broke the scales the first time I threw it at a tree. Never thought it was worth rehandling, guess I'll dig it out and look at it again.

21. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The steel is actually pretty good in those.