Scouting for Deer

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by ICHENE, Sep 5, 2014.

1. ICHENE

ICHENE Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hitting the woods one more time on Sunday for a last minute check before bow season. Never been to Tunica Hills before but after scouting via topo and aerial photo I'm going in on a soft check of the area.

Am definitely ready for cooler weather, setting up camp, a little Bushcraft, and getting close to the deer.

Anybody else been scouting?

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Since February!

Actually, I'm always scouting, but I don't get too serious about it til summer. I check out tentative stand locations all year long, revisit the best of them in June/July, confirm signs, run a climber up and down to check the visibility and fields of fire, clear any branches required, chop a fairly decent clear trail in from the nearest ATV trail (so I'm not banging against saplings and brush the whole way while carrying a stand on my back), mark it with survey tape and reflective ties, and then go back and check/re-clear/finalize them in late August. It's amazing how fast stuff grows around her... I try to be done by Labor Day, so it can sit quiet for the 3 weeks before bow season.

I'm mostly done, though I didn't quite finish it all this year... I had a couple foot bridges to put in last weekend that didn't get done due to ATV troubles, but I'll try to do it this weekend. If not, I'll just have to cross like I did last year (footlog/jump). The power company re-did some towers on their right of way, and left me a pile of used but still nice 16' 4x6 treated timbers that they, for some reason, thought were "old"... all I have to do is cut them apart and I'll have several useful timbers... two of them set side by side make a good foot bridge across the local streams. There are also a lot of scrap pine logs left from various cuttings, but they rot very quickly, and I don't like using them... an 8" log gets rotten in about 6 months, and pretty much unusable in a year. The hardwood saplings are a little better, but generally so buried and tangled in with other debris that they're almost impossible to salvage.

I'm looking forward to this year... i got skunked last year.

3. ICHENE

ICHENE Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow Seeker, thats some work load! Nice. Not on private land this year so good news is not as much work planting food sources or fertilizing natural vegetation and no stands to build or fix. But lots of scouting...lots to learn in new areas and old areas I haven't been in years.

Looks like rain is gonna keep me out tomorrow. My uncle says we Ned to wait till its a little drier for his comfort. So I am hitting the topo and aerial hard and will do some quick light scouting asap. Worse comes to worse I got a place scoped out closer to the house that will hopefully produce.

Good luck this year Seeker...hope you arrow a nice one!

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The bulk of the upkeep is a group effort over 2 workdays during the year... I do a lot of trail maintenance on my own (no sense getting hit in the face by the same vine/branches twice.) The bridges are easy.... just haul the stuff in and lay it in place... it was so hot today that I wimped out and went with hardwood logs... maybe when it cools down, i'll find time to salvage those treated timbers... they're not going anywhere.

Good luck to you too sir.

5. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'm somewhat ashamed to say it, but I haven't scouted for deer in years. I have a 6'X6' walled in and covered "tower", 16 feet above ground on my back 60, where I can see 400 meters (800 meters total) out the windows. With my shooting bench window sills, sand bags, and 30-06 with it's bullet drop compensator scope, I just sit and wait until a shot appears. From my tower, I once took 5 deer in less than a minute on opening morning. It's not hunting, but I'm no sportsman, I'm a meat hunter.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. ICHENE

ICHENE Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh I'm all about putting some deer in the larder! But I like the antler too. Also I love to bow hunt and that definitely takes more scouting especially on public lands. Gotta have plan b and c ready to go depending on what you walk into.

That is a nice little snipers hide...can't say I'm not a litte jealous of that when gun season rolls around. Sure sounds like a sweet set up especially for kids that have proven longer range shooting prowess (got to that are amazing shots and 2 that we keep inside 100 urds for now).

I have to say though my most memorable hunt was a successful still hunt I made on a big doe at the top of the bayou state. Got within 20 yards to make the shot. Best deer I've killed because of how I did the hunt. No trace of antler on that one and still my favorite.