Sea to Summit Basecamp series sleeping bags

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Moondog55, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My beloved wife who really hates camping wants a new sleeping bag.
    I'm after user feedback from people who have used them. My wife is a bit bigger than I am and she likes a lot of room. A lot.
    Without seeming to be rude I need to know if the stouter members of the forum find them adequate as far as room goes and at the same time warm enough given all [ what I consider excess ] room. We recently bought the S2S comfort + self inflating mats which we both like

blind & lost likes this.
  2. martin9700

martin9700 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have you considered a quilt instead?

blind & lost and Red Wing like this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is for my beloved wife who needs something warmer and with more room than the quilt she borrowed from me and that was a 20F rated X Long X Wide Nunatak

Red Wing likes this.
  4. martin9700

martin9700 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OK, I'm a big guy too so I get trying to find camping gear that fits (sleeping bags are the worst)

blind & lost likes this.
  5. Avohei

Avohei Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know nothing about those bags. With a quick search they look like yummy bags. Something i dislike as i want room to move around. Prefer a rectangle style bag or no hah at all.

I really like to sprawl out and i can't do that in a mummy bag. Just food for thought.

6. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bit the bullet so to speak. But because I was short of cash I got the warmest synthetic version.
    https://seatosummit.com/product/basecamp-synthetic-sleeping-bag-bt4/
    Used it once so far and at no where near its lower limit. First impressions are very good, a well designed monster of a bag with some of the best sewing I have ever seen out of China.
    Having slept in it I can't return it but I am wishing I had bought the down filled version for longevity. The bag is well big enough to fit another warm sleeping bag inside it and I'm thinking that it would make a good basis for the outer on a deep winter car camping bag, using a cheap 3-season down bag inside it. Comfort rated -15C for fit young men, so a good 0C for old guys like me. The base and the top separate and very smartly the base only uses a single layer of synthetic insulation as the mattress provides most of what is needed and the top in this warmer version is 2 layers of DuPont Thermolite.
    The only downside to the design is that the mat sleeve on the base is designed to be used with a mat no wider than 700mm and no thicker than 55mm [ yes the old style ThermaRest Basecamp] this one is a keeper and I'll be selling off one or more of my old sleeping bags now or more likely giving at least one to somebody homeless and sleeping rough