Seamens Knife - Any info about this knife?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Redneck Bear, May 16, 2018.

1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi,

I just bumped into this knife on one of our Czech bushcrafting shops (I supply the link just because there are better photos than on the manufacturer's website, not to advertise Czech eshop in the US :D):

https://www.bushcraftshop.cz/bushcr...oba/0/5/2765-Sheffield-Knives-Seamans-Knife-C

It's a carbon version, they also offer stainless steel one. This is the manufacturer's website link:

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/5-100.html

The price is USD 29 for carbon version (from manufacturer's website).

All info I could get:
    - 4 inch (10 cm) blade
    - material Carbon (their answer on my email question what the material is: "Our knives are made from 1% carbon.") or Stainless Steel
    - Hardwood Handle

I didn't find any info here on this site and Google search keeps me showing a folder seamans knife.

I'm just curious - anybody any info here? :)

JohnP, DomC, savage99nc and 3 others like this.
  2. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't know anything about that model. But in general Sheffield has a good reputation. %1 carbon doesn't tell you much LOL. Most carbon steels are less than %1 to less than %2. I've owned some antique sheffields knives. I found them are the harder side. Took more effort to sharpen them.
    Cheers Jim

DomC, Jim L. and Redneck Bear like this.
  3. jtkirkland

jtkirkland BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I almost bought on of those in a Ship's Store at a marina in Scotland. It was near closing time and I didn't want to trouble the clerk. Now I wish I had...

My former boss has one and loves it for camp and outdoor cooking duties. They get the best patina after a few weeks of food prep and diligent clean-up.

~jtk

DomC, Redneck Bear and Jim L. like this.
  4. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    You should had - as you would be able to tell me your own experience now! :D
    BTW Does your boss have the carbon or the stainless steel version?

DomC likes this.
  5. jtkirkland

jtkirkland BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    He has the carbon blade. He's a knife collector so he has his choice of knives to use for any given purpose. This was his #1 'camp knife'.

I regret not buying one very much; it would have been a great travel souvenir and I would have loved to share first-hand knowledge... :)

DomC, plantedtao and Redneck Bear like this.
  6. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I cannot give any technical information about the steel used in that knife, Redneck Bear, but I have owned a Sheffield made Seaman's knife for 58 years, two knives in fact.
    I believe the knife in your example differs only in that it has the latest blade shape, the materials and process are unchanged from the knives I have.

The one on the left is in the Green River style and was issued to me when I was 16 and the one on the right, with the different blade shape, I bought in the Port of Liverpool in 1962. That knife has the finger groves in the hard wood handle, although as you see I've covered them both with a thin cord whipping. Both knives were manufactured by Sheffield Knives and are of carbon steel and take an extremely good edge. If you buy one and look after it, you too will have the same knife in 58 years, and you will not regret buying it. :dblthumb: :D

[​IMG]

Bax 40, Gman1051, JohnP and 4 others like this.
  7. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now those are knives with history! :) Glad to hear it's good quality, I may try getting one (I'll see next month about that). :)

OT: What cord (type, diameter) did you use for wrapping? And what about glue, please? I

8. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ah! That cord has been on there for half a Century at least...so all I can say about is that it is about 1/8 inch thick and is natural material, Hemp probably because it came from an old fashioned hand reel used by local Fisherman in the Port of Colombo, Ceylon ( now Sri Lanka). I traded a big tin of ship's Coacoa for a kind of square wooden frame with fathoms of the line on it. The locals used to sit on the dock and haul fish out on hand lines.

As for glue, none at all, the cord was laid on in the same way we used to put a common whipping on a rope's end, simply by tucking the end of the cord and hauling it taught.
    Those knives are basic tools, well made of good materials but not fancy at all. The handle whipping was to provide a better grip for cold wet hands when working on deck or aloft. :D

9. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The knife looks sweet thanks for the info.
    Prov 27 : 17

Redneck Bear likes this.
  10. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one...but it is probably from a different maker/contractor than the ones your links show. Mine was Surplus...the blade was etched with 1988 with the Broad Arrow and the NSN below that.

[​IMG]

11. Virgil Grey

Virgil Grey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Interesting sheath.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  12. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    How's the retention of the sheath, please? And the cuts in the sheath - those are to pass belt through?

13. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    See what you’ve done here? Now you need both the Condor Kephart and the Seaman’s knife. Seems like this is escalating quickly. :)

JohnP

Redneck Bear likes this.
  14. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    :D
    Yeah, I realized that this morning! I am sooo deep in trouble! :D

JohnP likes this.
  15. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It’s a simple tube sheath and stays on with friction. I have never belt worn the knife so I can’t really comment on how well it works. Yes, the slits are to pass a belt through.

16. the_dude

the_dude Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i would love to see your entire collection some day. you have the coolest stuff.

Spork and Redneck Bear like this.