Searching For: Lightweight 4 Season Black Out Tents

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by CharClothed, Aug 11, 2017.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone know of a 4 season tent which is also a black out tent? Light weight would be nice as well. What I mean by a blackout tent, for those who don't know the phrase, is a tent that when set up, black outs the light from the outside. Doesn't have to be all the light but if it's pretty dark in the tent during a full sunny day, that'd make me happy. I like to sleep in when I camp in the winter. I'd like it to sleep at least 2. That way I can have room for me and my gear.

2. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dont know about what tents blacked out
    But can try a tent with a full rain fly and see if the fly could be blacked out
    Can also try a hunting blind as a tent
    As for winter tent with such short days do you really need a black out tent?

3. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    As for 4 season
    In industry standards only thing that makes a tent rated 4 season is additional support poles for snow
    All tents are just as cold inside as outside

WhisperInThePine likes this.
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Army surplus and mega bucks and heavy

5. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only tent which I know can be a example of this, is hard to find and pricey. But here's a example. Which for a example, if I could take it in the snow, it would be perfect. Coleman though, haven't known them for a reliable tent.

6. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would disagree
    Lots of 10-20 yr old colemans still in use
    Quality wise my coleman is better than my kelty
    My kelty has a better rain fly but the coleman is a better tent
    And people that camp alot chances are they have a coleman

Lichen likes this.
  7. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    My experience with them is that even on high ground or small hills which are big enough to fit the tent perfectly. On high ground that shouldn't have water and with a footprint below, I still get water in it. I really want this tent to work, but wonder if it'd work with snow.

8. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I disagree somewhat. The main difference is often the use of full fabric inners rather than mesh and the ability to fully close all vents to stop spindrift from entering the tent and down to the ground fly sheets .
    Personally I dislike the term 4-season tent because the very features that make a tent useful and usable in winter make them simply terrible in summer [ unless that is like Hilleberg you offer separate summer and winter inner tents] I would always tell people to buy separate winter and summer tents if they ask me
    Personally the use of a blackout tent in winter seems pointless unless you are military, it is a lot [ I mean really a LOT] of extra weight for the Klay-Coat layer that provides the light proof properties but I can see the need in summer when the days are 18 hours long and you are in a fixed base camp
    Honestly; blackout tents and lightweight are incompatible.
    Simply using a black cotton/poly sheet over your head is cheaper lighter and easier, do it on long airplane flights all the time, it is now a standard part of my travel kit just like the little blow up neck pillow and the ear plugs so I can't hear my wife snoring

9. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've seen surplus USMC 2-man tents that are black out equipped. The ones that I have seen are desert tan and presumably used in the sand box. They were in the $200-$300 range. I saw them on e-bay and a few surplus sellers.

Steve

xrayit likes this.
  10. gargoyle

gargoyle Scout

Blog Posts:
    I pull my hat over my eyes.

CharClothed, Unistat76 and andy.t like this.
  11. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Eureka Expeditionary Systems has a Tent, Combat 2-man and also an Extreme Cold Weather Tent that might work for you. You should look for these on the surplus market. I contacted Eureka about buying them new a while back, and the price was astonishing.

There is also a Tent, Combat, One Person (TCOP) from Eureka that might work for you, although I hear what you're saying about space for gear. It has gear vestibules on either side, but those are outside the main tent area.

xrayit likes this.
  12. theDuck

theDuck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Eureka Tent, 2-Man, Combat, USMC. It definitely has the blackout feature. I use a flashlight in it during the day. However, at 13 pounds it is heavy. They say it is a minimum 8 pounds but they are 13 pounds. It has vestibules for equipment on each side. I use it as a one man tent. They are fairly bomb proof and hold up well in a good wind when the Chinese made tents are bending in the wind. I'd try to find one in good shape used. I bought mine new from Eureka years ago with the Tan one side and Woodland one side fly.

NattyBo and xrayit like this.
  13. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  14. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought one of these a couple years ago, great tent!

NattyBo likes this.
  15. NattyBo

NattyBo Bon Vivant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^^^+1^^^ Same here.

16. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's heavy Are the wands fibreglass to save money or are they really strong alloy?

17. sak45acp

sak45acp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Your main issue with your requirements will be that most 4season backpack/mountaineering tents are deliberately designed with light colors to let in MORE light. When you are stuck in a blizzard or spending multiple nights, more light in the tent helps prevent depression/anxiety/persnicketyness. I just pull my hat or shemaugh/bandana over my eyes.

NattyBo likes this.