Seeking land in northeastern PA for Outdoor/Folk School

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    OK folks, I've been thinking about this a LOT lately and I think that the time to "fish or cut bait" has arrived. The Sandcut Outdoors as a business has actually done better this year so far than I had anticipated. I just booked another CPR/AED/Wilderness First Aid class for a summer camp in June and I'm even in conversation with Cabelas about offering some workshops/classes at their PA store. But the constant scramble to find a willing location at which to offer courses is driving me to distraction. I need a home base from which to operate. Some place where I know that I have regular ability to schedule programs and some place where the public can begin to look for them. There's been a LOT of interest as I've spoken to people at the craft fairs and public programs. So I'm now looking for a facility.

A buddy of mine has a hunting lease for a nice property in the area that he got by advertising that he would like the abiliy to hunt in exchange for helping to maintain the property. In very short order he got a call from a guy who allows him to do just that in exchange for cleaning up storm damage, dropping dangerous trees, and patroling the property during hunting season. There are places out there like this.

What I am looking for, and I'm asking the folks who live or have families or connections in northeastern PA for help in finding, is a location with a cabin or garage, some kind of building, and a small amount of property, from which to begin offering classes in exchange for maintaining the property and perhaps a small fee to help pay taxes and utilities if any are present. Obviously, the more land the better. This would allow for me to offer regularly scheduled First Aid classes and would allow for a series of edible/medicinal plant classes that would cover the plant's growth through the different seasons. There is a LOT of possibilities here. And hopefully, as business increases, we'd be able to pay for a regular lease. We just need someone with a little vision to see the possibilities.

Additionally, what I would ultimately like to do to grow my business as well as other folks who may have a related skill set or business, is to set the place up as a Folk School and operate it on a shared office space business model where someone who, for instance, wanted to offer a class on making self-bows or black smithing or knitting sweaters could basically rent space at the facility and be able to schedule the activity on the facility calendar in exchange for a small set fee or percentage of the class fee to help cover facility expenses and admin costs.

This is my dream and I don't think that it is far fetched. My plan is to try to catalyze this into reality.

So I'm asking you all to be my eyes and ears to bird dog a property like this. I would prefer something in the Wayne/Pike/Monroe County region.

Now go forth and spread the gospel to friends, families and neighbors and become a part of something that would be very cool.

ETA: I forgot to mention, please direct all suggestions and inquiries to SandcutOutdoorsLLC@gmail.com

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this up to keep it in view.

3. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not sure how far you are but if you pay your employees in Philadelphia cheesesteaks and soft pretzels (Federal Pretzel to be exact) then I want to work at Sandcut Outdoors!

Sandcut likes this.
  4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure we could reach a middle ground there somewhere. :)

Benefit package to include scrapple.

backwoodstrails likes this.
  5. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Scrapple?!?!?! Ewwww. :26:

Goetta is the way to go. :4:

6. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Bumping this to the top to keep it fresh.

Almost had a property this past week, but the lesee opted to extend for another three years. Grrrr!

Still holding out hope.