Seeking opinions about Marttiini puukkos...

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by OldFatMan, Sep 14, 2018.

1. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking to add a new smaller knife to my 2 knife set up... I've carried a few sets over the years but never found one that really left me wanting for nothing... I did the BK9/bk16 for awhile... BK21/BK16... swapped out for a traditional Kukri / Spyderco Bushcraft combo...Skrama / Trava Jaggapukko 110..... I've got no shortage of large chopping blades...its kinda always been a thing for me, and my collection now numbers over 100 knives which would be classified as large bushcraft choppers......

Lately I've started to transition more away from the large chopper KNIFE and gravitate more towards a hatchet for my chopper needs.... but I find that as far as small carving and detail knives go... I'm woefully under represented.... hell I don't even own a Mora lol? ( I have more than 300 knives total which is what makes this fact ....odd )

SO.... all of my smaller knives are of the, what I PERSONALLY consider, slightly overbuilt 1 tool bushcraft/survival knife options.... the BK16 compared to the traditional puukko is an overbuilt beast that can handle being batoned thru almost anything with few ill effects....same with the Spyderco Bushcraft, and Trava Pukko.... all fine knives, all bomb proof and able to be batoned thru anything with ease....which IMHO means they are too .....robust ..... for the kind of fine detail carving I'm wanting my smaller knife to preform.

I know how to chop with the hatchet, and split up to 6 and 8 inch lumber down to 64ths and beyond to end up with match sticks for my 1 stick fires, I'll never need to baton with my smaller blade, simply make a few feathers on occasion, and then do any fine carving I require....tent pegs, pot hooks, snare triggers etc etc...

In my search, I looked at A LOT of the puukko brands, Helle, Marttiini, YP-Taonta blades on custom birch bark handles, Kainuun Puukko, Polar, Ahti, Roselli....and literally dozens more.... if it COULD be bought without having to join a waiting list for months....I've looked at it in the last 2 or 3 days...

I have not found the perfect knife ( for me ) yet..... if I could take the blade of THAT one, the handle of THIS one, combine it with the sheath of THAT one with the fittings off another one....well, I could get perfect....but I cant.

So far, the one knife I've seen that comes closest to what I want.... is a Marttiini.... my ONLY complaint about it is....the blade is stainless, and not available in their high carbon steel version....I have read extensively on them thru old threads.... and have come to understand that a lot of folks think their stainless blades are too soft at 56 HRC...and due to that, it may not hold up as well as I'd like for carving.

I'd like to solicit opinions about Marttiini knives as a whole, and am particularly interested in first hand thoughts of their stainless blades by owners and users of those knives...... The version I'm looking at is going to cost me about 135.00 so its not one of the sub 30.00 cheapies.....but before I spend that kinda money, I wanna make sure ( or at least feel better about ) the knifes ability to preform as a light woodcraft carving knife and hold up well enough to not be replaced in a few weeks due to utter disappointment....

any thoughts? any experiences with the brand at any price point? any advice?

Bobsdock, BradGad and buckfynn like this.
  2. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    too long didn't read, you should get one

Lichen, Bobsdock, WILL and 7 others like this.
  3. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    The softness is an issue but if you sharpen to a true zero grind scandi and then cut a very tiny microbevel with fine diamond then white ceramic then strop, it will hold up better than it should.

I don't have the stainless version so I cannot comment.

I absolutely love my Ahti knives.

4. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I skipped most of it but the part about "over 300 knives" jumped out at me.

You don't need one.

No wait...You do! Send some knives my way to make room for one.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Lichen, Bobsdock, ExAF1N1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've a marttiini in carbon you'll want

Bobsdock, buckfynn and OldFatMan like this.
  6. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    I consider them cheap bulk, next step from Mora, exept the China versions that are below Mora. Users that wont get cried over.

If I wanted better, Roselli would be my choice. Still not breaking the bank.

7. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    And my opinion is based on being in the same country, owning maybe 20 of them, as they are the one you get from the supermarket, gas station and the finnish versions of wallyworld.

OldFatMan, Bobsdock and GoKartz like this.
  8. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic

Blog Posts:
    A Martinni for over $100 makes me want to suggest a great $60 carving knife - the Roselli Carpenter. But that's because I've enjoyed my Roselli.

At the same time, if you've found a knife that speaks to you...

9. Frederick89

Frederick89 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Marttiini stainless is a normal 420 tempered to 54 HRC. 56 HRC is their 1075 carbon steel. I've used stainless Marttiinis and didn't like them for anything that wasn't food related: absolutely way too soft to stand wood working. You have to remember that the majority of the stainless models is tourist stuff.

If you want the knife to just be a carver I'd go either for a specialized wood carving slojd (Hans Karlsson especially), an YP-Taonta vuolupuukko or direcly to a custom maasepan, given your price point. You'll most likely have some bucks left as well.

Bobsdock, OldFatMan and buckfynn like this.
  10. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have been eyeing the Witch's Tooth lately. Kind of a neat knife.

Bobsdock, Primordial and OldFatMan like this.
  11. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Why buy a knife with a steel not suitable for carving? I just gave a Marttini Timberjack to a friend as it just didn't meet my requirement for blade hardness as opposed to a Mora. This is not to say it was bad and it still was very serviceable. Maybe it's just me but I will throw in a plug for the Ahti knives. Excellent steel and build quality and hold a wicked edge. I know that the Timberjack is a cheaper knife but the steel in that knife is probably harder than the stainless you describe.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  12. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bobsdock and OldFatMan like this.
  13. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I personally think the Skrama is, as far as a 2 knife rig set up goes.... is the single best large knife style chopper that can be had at ANY price... the grind cuts and chops like a laser, the long handle and 0 point balance means it handles like a small knife when you need it too... but choking back on that extra long grip allows you to generate massive tip speed for absolutely insane penetration while chopping. The Blade is neither too thick to penetrate well and do smaller carving tasks like a small knife would, while still being able to pull off not being too thin to split well if batoned or not have enough mass to sink the blade on a chop stroke.

it is.... IMHO.... the perfect large chopping KNIFE for bushcraft, though many will say its ugly as sin....it has a beauty brought about by its function to my eye.... even the ugly handle serves to dampen shock while chopping and allows for a comfortable grip for all its use options...

My Skrama and Terava Puukko 110 set has been gifted to my 12 year old son as his main set....while I transition from a large knife and small knife set up to a hatchet and small knife set up.

There have been years of development that's gone into ever increasingly useful large bushcraft chopping knives, and I believe the Skrama is the pinnicle of those years of research.... I simply do not think you can buy a better large knife for bushcraft at any price....

Now, PERSONALLY.... I'm taking it back the other direction... we have seen more and more knives that can better and better to the axes role in bushcraft, we have reached the summit and found it to be good... I am coming back down the back side of the mountain now and reversing the whole thought process on it.....

Rather than continue to use the perfect knife that wants to be an axe.....I'm using what I think will end up being the perfect axe....that functions as a knife....its a Rinaldi Trento Hatchet ...I'll post a pic below....

The Skrama and the hatchet are both the exact same length/size.... and VERY close in weight.... the Skrama is a large knife with a long axe like handle....the hatchet is a long handeled affair with a thin knife like blade... this thin blade, combined with the more weight forward distribution of the weight, combined with the extremely long cutting face of the hatchet which again, is knife thick.... combined with the zero balance when gripped right behind the head, the same as the Skramas zero balance when gripped at the very front of the handle....

its..... going to be an experiment and one that I'm fully committed to for the next full year at least until I become as proficient with the hatchet as I am with the Skrama and see how the 2 actually compare side by side....

I think the Skrama is the best bushcraft chopping knife that can be had..... and I believe the hatchet will turn out to be the best bushcrafting hatchet that can be had......I just need a year of real world use to know it by heart and be able to honestly evaluate the 2 side by side.....

I'll keep everyone posted as the journey progresses.... but ATM its being sent off to have a custom handle carved and installed on it to fit my exacting specifications ......

This is the hatchet....file picture with a 10 inch handle, mine has a 14 inch handle, which is the size it will stay, but with a bit more minor bend in it.....and the new handle will also fix a minor head fitment issue.

[​IMG]

and this picture shows the same head style from the top..... again, its a file picture, but pay special attention to the thin knife like profile on this head.....now, imagine that as the axe gets smaller to hatchet size, the head gets smaller as well, which means it gets even thinner and more knifelike....

[​IMG]

14. ugar-6

ugar-6 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    https://www.ragweedforge.com/wj-v.jpg

I have the witch's tooth and I like it but it's more of a novelty to me. One of my favorites is in the link above, the Wood Jewel carving knife. It's only $45 from Ragnar at Ragweed Forge and he is very helpful with questions on knives.

15. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    300 there is plenty of room for more. It's the storage that stinks

OldFatMan and Bobsdock like this.
  16. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've abandoned the Marttiini knife idea based on continued concerns about the steel the blade is made from....

1. I just don't want to " settle " for stainless...
    2. no one is really making me feel better about the soft steel and its ability to preform.

I have gone ahead and ordered an Ahti Puukko to use as a fill in until I can craft my own...The end game I believe at this time will be a blade and guard set ordered from Kainuun Puukko and self fitted to a hickory handle which will match the new handle on the hatchet to end up with a handsome matched pair.....

That should suffice at least long enough for me to make my Skrama/Rinaldi Hatchet real world comparison and decide which of the 2 is actually the superior option....

ugar-6, Bobsdock and batmanacw like this.
  17. Elwha

Elwha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow, this is interesting. I have several and have used them for a while and really like them. They cut as well as any knife I own. Need stropping or sharpening now and then but they all do. I only do light batoning if any.

OldFatMan, Line Dawg and Bobsdock like this.
  18. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    My experience with mine is that it is very capable. Not stainless, but the old Rapala filet knives were a bit more difficult to sharpen. Not a "hard use" blade, but very capable.

OldFatMan, Line Dawg and Bobsdock like this.
  19. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Ahti Varra showed up Monday, I have not had a chance to fiddle with it much but just sitting in my recliner in the evening handling it....its VERY promising.... I think I'm REALLY going to enjoy it....

so used to overbuilt full tang baton knives that it feels almost too light and delicate in the hand.... its amazing how sharp it is right out of the box though.... verrrrryyyy nice!

batmanacw likes this.
  20. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love the Vara and its handle. One of my favorites.

OldFatMan likes this.
  21. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I just want to see a picture of 300 knives.

OldFatMan likes this.
  22. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ugh.... would you settle for 3 7 drawer rolling tool chests with drawers staggered partially open? lol

23. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    turntail, OldFatMan and buckfynn like this.
  24. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been SERIOUSLY been looking at the Roselli Wootz UHC Carpenter since the Ahti showed up and I decided I liked the Puukko style enough to invest in a few and see what works for me best.... its a matter of time... I just bought a canoe this week, have to go pick it up Saturday, but this is on my short list.

[​IMG]

Also on my short list is a Kainuun Tako Tommi 100 Forged Moose .... this knife may be as close as I've ever seen to perfect for me, once you discount the Martiini from the running due to steel issues. At the 320.00 USD conversion price though, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go straight into custom territory ...... I just hate the tracking down a maker, quibbleing over details, getting on the list, and waiting 2+ years for a knife idea....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    turntail and happywanderer like this.
  25. Frederick89

Frederick89 Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are makers with short lists and very easy going. You may try to drop a line to anyone among Jari Liukko, Martti Malinen and Henri Tikkanen.

Huckelberryhound22, OldFatMan and KFF like this.
  26. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Roselli is only $136, not too bad for a really good quality puukko. Not a gas station brand like Marttiini and Ahti.

OldFatMan likes this.
  27. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    Marttiini and Ahti are not on the same planet.

OldFatMan and buckfynn like this.
  28. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe not, but a choice in retailers makes one think they are not quite the top of the market. Ahtis largerst retailers mainly import the dollar store stuff to F:land.
    The sales channel creates part of the image.
    If you look at dealers like Kivikangas (mainly cheapish hobby fishing stuff)
    http://www.kivikangas.fi/start

or Tuontitukku (translates directly as "bulk import") and most of the products are shipped by the container from China and sold to dollar store equivalents all over the country. Then the image reflects to all and every product in the wholesalers line.

http://www.tuontitukku.fi/
    http://www.tuontitukku.fi/kauppa/tarkennettu-haku/11/?keywords=Ahti&nhbutton3=&categories_id=

OldFatMan likes this.
  29. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Roselli Carpenter and really love it. I REALLY love it. Mine is not the UHC, but edge retention is great. I can skin and bone a hog and it's still shaving sharp.

I hear that the UHC will chip with hard use. I would save that $40 and buy the regular. It is excellent.

KFF and OldFatMan like this.
  30. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have whittled some with my UHC "puukko" with no damage, but I am careful (no twisting) and have damaged one knife since 1954 - my own stupid fault on that occasion, chopping into a tree fork (black walnut as it happens) with a very fine hollow-ground SS skinner. Dumb!

OldFatMan likes this.
  31. OldFatMan

OldFatMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Noted... I had worried about that to be honest.... probably better safe than sorry. The regular version should be a perfectly capable knife for most light whittling and carving jobs... and as noted, my hatchet/large chopper handles everything else.

KFF likes this.
  32. Huckelberryhound22

Huckelberryhound22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Martti malinen is the guy to talk to I had his puukko In had a week from first contacting him him and his wife were great to deal with and he makes an exceptional knife

33. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    They are too! Same country as well.:D

batmanacw likes this.
  34. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Martti Malinen Koivumäki Puukko Review
    https://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/malinen-koivumaki-puukko-review/

"Welcome to Hanhiniitty Smithy, to the island village of Niinisaari. I am the village blacksmith Martti.

I’ve been forging knives and other products since 1988 and, since the 1990s, I’ve been running forging courses alongside teaching at the Kuru Institute of Forestry. I moved to Niinisaari with my family in 2005 and started working as a full-time blacksmith in my own workshop. I make all kinds of forged products at my workshop year round – always respecting traditions and quality. My product portfolio includes knives, axes, chef’s knives, chisels and various other forging work. More than a half of my customers are from abroad.

Being a blacksmith is both an occupation and hobby for me. In this work, I never stop learning – I can improve your skills indefinitely. In addition to forging, I’m fascinated by blacksmith traditions and the forging culture. I’ve sought inspiration for my forged products from ancient forged pieces. I want to be a part of keeping the blacksmith traditions alive by running various forging exhibitions for groups and sharing my knowledge of the craft on my forging courses. I wish you a warm welcome to my workshop to learn exciting new things and to have great experiences of success – either in a group or individually. I teach in Finnish and English.

Kind regards,
    Martti Malinen, blacksmith"